Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My average in my first semester of my third year is 68%. My second year average was 52%.

33% of my second year and 67% of my third year will account for my final degree outcome. How will I need to do in my final semester in order to:-

a) get a second class upper
    b) get a first

ps. dont make fun of me because i know im not the best. thanks for the help!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by neurogal)
    My average in my first semester of my third year is 68%. My second year average was 52%.

33% of my second year and 67% of my third year will account for my final degree outcome. How will I need to do in my final semester in order to:-

b) get a first

If my math is correct, over 60% for a 2.1, over 90% for a first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neurogal)

b) get a first

Here's how to work it out:

33% x second year = 0.3333 x 52 = 17.3333

If your third year is 67, each semester is 33,
    33% x first semester = 0.3333 x 68 = 22.6667

Add them up 17.3333 + 22.6667 = 40%

So if you got 0% on the last semester, you'd get 40%

Your final mark would be 40 plus (0.3333 x semester 2 average) - you can work it out with your running average if you like, but:

40 + (0.3333 x 91) = 70.1 (first)

40 + (0.3333 x 61) = 60.3 (2:1)

40 + (0.3333 x 31) = 50.3 (2:2)
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    I know an excellent answer has already been given, but thought I would recommend something for anyone lurking about. After ensuring you know the guidelines for your uni for sure (how much each year counts, how many credits are counted and which ones), I would recommend gradestracker.com. You can input each module and assignment in your years of study, and based on the grade that you want for the year (and for individual modules too!) it can calculate how much you need on assignments/modules to achieve your overall goals. If you've already done assignments/modules/years, it lets you input how much you've already made.

Of course, at the end of the day your grade is down to module exam and classification boards. But this saves you recalculating constantly!

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.