Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can I just start off by apologising for the misleading title because you probably read it and thought of a massive house party with about 3 bottles of WKD or something per person...I don't mean that. I'm a quiet person (only talkative with family and friends) so by 'party', I mean a small gathering of 4-6 of us at my friend's house. Anyway, to get to the point...I'm 17. I do drink but it's not what you think...I don't drink often (only really at events like Christmas and New Year's which has only been the last two years anyway). And even when I do drink, I try to drink as slowly as possible to avoid getting drunk; I'm quite sensible with alcohol because I'm not prepared to let myself get drunk until I'm at least in my twenties. The closest I've been to hammered is tipsy (which is only three times within the past few years). Okay, I should get to the point...

So, we'd had 2 'parties' at my friend's house so far. In case you're wondering, her dad gives us permission to be there and he knows we all drink so it's all good. The first time was for my friend's 17th which was in October. I drank slowly and moderately then but nobody really had a problem with that because all the attention/frustration was about one of our other friends who was full-blown drunk. It was actually pretty funny but frustrating for my friend because she couldn't really enjoy her party while we were babysitting him and trying to get him to sleep it off. To top it off, me and the other friend accompanied him to the place his mum was picking him up because he was too drunk to walk properly on his own.

The other 'party' was at the same friend's house for my 17th last December (I asked her if we could have another small gathering with the same group of friends at her house and she said yes). However, the friend who got hammered last time wasn't there so the attention was kind of on me because I was drinking the slowest out of my friends. Don't get me wrong, they weren't being nasty or anything, but they were kinda nagging me to drink faster because I was drinking "too slowly". An example of this was when we were going through the park to take a shortcut back to her house. We each had a small bottle of WKD and her dad had another one to give us all and apparently, they couldn't start drinking their second bottle until I had my first, which lead me to start drinking mine faster (not really fast but faster) so they would stop nagging. Again, it wasn't nasty or anything and I'm kinda making something out of nothing here, but I don't want to drink at a party and feel pressured to drink quickly/at the same speed as everyone else. I don't drink often which is kinda why I'm so cautious, but it's also because I don't want to get drunk (like I stated earlier in the post). We're having another 'party' next Saturday and I'm all up for going, but there's gonna be alcohol again which doesn't bother me, but I know I'm probably gonna get nagged to drink quickly again which is gonna put me off enjoying myself as I don't want to be pressured. I told them I didn't want to be nagged to drink quicker the other day and the main friend (who has the 'parties' at her house) said she can't promise anything. Two of them are used to drinking and the main friend used to get drunk regularly but I'm not like that. Like I said, I am probably making something of nothing here because it's not as if they're being mean or anything but still...I just want to drinks sensibly at my pace and not get drunk. What's so wrong with that? I just don't know what to say or tell them if/when I get nagged to drink quicker.

Really sorry for such a long post! I took ages to get to the point, I know...I just wanted to give you all as much context as possible. Sorry for the waffle.

ReputationRep:
    just drink something else if you dont want to get drunk, your friends are not going to care tbh

ReputationRep:
    It'll take a lot of alcohol for you to get properly drunk if you're only having WKD as the percentage is so low but that doesn't mean your friends should be pressuring you to drink. I'm going to hazard a guess and say that they probably weren't doing it maliciously and just wanted you to get into the spirit of things and have a good time, maybe next time just reassure them you're drinking at your own pace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bones-mccoy)
    It'll take a lot of alcohol for you to get properly drunk if you're only having WKD as the percentage is so low but that doesn't mean your friends should be pressuring you to drink. I'm going to hazard a guess and say that they probably weren't doing it maliciously and just wanted you to get into the spirit of things and have a good time, maybe next time just reassure them you're drinking at your own pace.
    You're right. They weren't doing it to be malicious. I was just getting nagged a bit and felt pressured to drink, but that's probably me making something of nothing. We only ever really drink stuff like VS and WKD but I'd still rather drink at my own pace. I've told them that I enjoy myself and that it's possible to have a good time without getting drunk but meh, I'll just remind them that I'm drinking moderately. I might not even get nagged next week but Idk...I'll just wait and see. Other than that, I'm fine with them (and they're fine with me).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toonervoustotalk)
    just drink something else if you dont want to get drunk, your friends are not going to care tbh
    Thanks for that. If they mention my lack of drinking, I'll just get energy drinks or something instead. no biggie.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.