Question 8, part a.

https://imgur.com/a/n2DbL
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Illidan2)
    Question 8, part a.

https://imgur.com/a/n2DbL
    Determine the length AD in terms of theta, first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    Determine the length AD in terms of theta, first.
    How do I determine length in terms of theta? I understand the significance of theta as an angle measure but I don't know how to determine length in theta.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    How do I determine length in terms of theta? I understand the significance of theta as an angle measure but I don't know how to determine length in theta.
    There is a very obvious right-angled triangle in the diagram which allows you to relate AD to \theta

ReputationRep:
    There is a very obvious right-angled triangle in the diagram which allows you to relate AD to \theta
    Yes, ABD is a right-angled triangle. I just don't understand how to express length as theta.I can see that Angle BAC= theta, and that DAB= theta. Could I use the right-angled-triangle rule cos theta= 6/AD, therefore AD= 6/cos theta? Would this be along the right lines?

Then, to find CD, i'd need to find AC and subtract from CD?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, ABD is a right-angled triangle. I just don't understand how to express length as theta.I can see that Angle BAC= theta, and that DAB= theta. Could I use the right-angled-triangle rule cos theta= 6/AD, therefore AD= 6/cos theta? Would this be along the right lines?
    you can use soh cah toh and then pythagoras to get AD in terms of theta.

later on you can use right-angled-triangle rule to find AC in terms of theta.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e^x)
    you can use soh cah toh and then pythagoras to get AD in terms of theta
    Yeah. That's what I just tried to do just then. Whether or not i've done it correct is another matter, but as cah means cos= adj/hyp, I can only assume i've done that part correctly.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Then, to find CD, i'd need to find AC and subtract from CD?
    Exactly. Though last line is not quite correct, almost, it's CD = AD - AC

For the length CD, consider drawing an extra line connecting C and B.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. Though last line is not quite correct, almost, it's CD = AD - AC

For the length CD, consider drawing an extra line connecting C and B.
    AD yeah. That's what I meant instead of CD. My bad! :P

ReputationRep:
    Yes, ABD is a right-angled triangle. I just don't understand how to express length as theta.I can see that Angle BAC= theta, and that DAB= theta. Could I use the right-angled-triangle rule cos theta= 6/AD, therefore AD= 6/cos theta?
    Yes. You might find it helpful to rewrite \dfrac{6}{\cos \theta} in terms of \sec \theta. (as it will then be more obvious how it relates to the given answer).

ReputationRep:
    Awesome. So now I have AD= 6sec theta, and as I need to show that CD in the form mentioned in the question, AC must be 6 cos theta, in order to take out the factor of 6 as i'm supposed to show. I assume I can use right-angled trig to deduce that this is the case, too. Give me a moment... :P

ReputationRep:
    Ignore previous post. I wasn't looking at angle ACB. I was looking at angle BAC. >.> Fail. Give me a sec again... :L
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I've managed to confuse myself, it seems. Because ACB=90 degrees, it is therefore the right angle, and therefore CB must be the hypotenuse, correct?
    No, AB is the hypotenuse.

When was the last time you saw a right-angled triangle with the hypotenuse being adjacent to the right-angle? It is always opposite the right-angle.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I know it's opposite the right angle, as I stated myself. However, for some reason, I thought angle BAC was angle ACB, and have been thinking this for quite a few minutes. My apologies. I'll do it again now :L

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i've done it now, it makes sense now. I was just looking at the wrong angle and therefore basing my assumptions on the sides of the triangle in relation to that angle. But now that i've noticed, I finished it in about 30 seconds. Thanks very much for your help on this!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 15, 2018
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.