Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I pretty much just tolerate mine. Tolerating since first year. Could go as far as to say once I graduate I’d happily never see it or related subjects again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mine turtle)
    I pretty much just tolerate mine. Tolerating since first year. Could go as far as to say once I graduate I’d happily never see it or related subjects again
    What do you study? I love mine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jdddd)
    What do you study? I love mine.
    MSc Molecular Medicine (circumstance lead me to here)
    Did a BSc Biomedical Science. By the end of first year couldn’t stand science.

ReputationRep:
    MSc Molecular Medicine (circumstance lead me to here)
    Did a BSc Biomedical Science. By the end of first year couldn’t stand science.
    Oh damn. A good degree too. Why don't you enjoy it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jdddd)
    Oh damn. A good degree too. Why don't you enjoy it?
    Just not interested in what they’re talking about. I do what’s needed, get my grades, but there’s no/little interest there so I engage with it as little as I can.

ReputationRep:
    Just not interested in what they’re talking about. I do what’s needed, get my grades, but there’s no/little interest there so I engage with it as little as I can.
    Oh, did you not have an idea on what you would study when you applied?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jdddd)
    Oh, did you not have an idea on what you would study when you applied?
    For my masters? My undergrad restricted what I could apply to so I picked the one that sounded interesting, I wouldn’t have picked it if I was unrestricted. For undergrad, I wasn’t sure which way to go do let A level results make the choice although I wanted out of education st the start of 6th form like a number of people at my school did. So, just picked something that sounded interesting, career guidance didn’t make things that clear as to what to pick. Although, maybe I should have done robotics like they suggested

ReputationRep:
    Im in my second year at uni studying maths. Safe to say I can’t stand it any more but it’s what I’m good at. I chose it because I enjoyed it at A-level. Now I just do it for the degree and because I’m already in loads of debt not because I enjoy it
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howie_2114)
    Im in my second year at uni studying maths. Safe to say I can’t stand it any more but it’s what I’m good at. I chose it because I enjoyed it at A-level. Now I just do it for the degree and because I’m already in loads of debt not because I enjoy it
    Damn. What do you plan for after Uni?

ReputationRep:
    Not a clue
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    The good think about Biomedical Science is that you can go into finance or business after you graduate because you'll be considered a scientist and somehow banks like scientists So if you're not interested in science wait until you graduate and just go into another field which you might find interesting. Also I would like to ask, what interests you the most anyway?

ReputationRep:
    I do a chemistry-related course

Some parts are truly remarkable and fascinating

Others are boring and frustrating

But im done with uni next month so i can survive

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing a Chemistry degree.

I love Synthetic Organic Chemistry. I've always found deriving mechanisms from polarity quite fun, like maths problems. That combined with actually being able to synthesize what you have down on paper is quite satisfying.

Downside is that a lot of synthetic stages are hugely wasteful and so companies are moving away from reagents like K2Cr207 or OSO4 to greener things like enzymes which take a lot of the fun away by doing the syntheses by 'Magic' (aka Biochemistry)

Physical I like as well due to it's entirely logical nature and how well it applies to Organic. Downside with that is that there's far less funding for it than there is for Org/Inorg.

I find Inorganic quite dry and messy in places. Certain areas like Transition Metal Dioxygenated complexes are interesting but areas like Ligand Field Theory (which compliments Crystal Field Theory) are very dry. X-Ray crystallography is useful but quite difficult and also quite dry. I prefer NMR and IR.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Den902)
    The good think about Biomedical Science is that you can go into finance or business after you graduate because you'll be considered a scientist and somehow banks like scientists So if you're not interested in science wait until you graduate and just go into another field which you might find interesting. Also I would like to ask, what interests you the most anyway?
    Firms just want smart people, whether you did science or law or humanities or maths doesn't really matter for most grad jobs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    What interests me?
    Academically, not much, if anything. A lot of the time in school I wasn't paying attention, I'd have one ear on what's being said and everything else doing something else. I'd be drawing in my book a lot, creating new characters for a story, thinking how I could progress a story I was working on, creating scenarios in my head, wondering what it would be like to be one of my characters, thinking about what I was going to do when I get home, what I want to do with my future etc. I was in school because I was under the impression I had to be there. Had I known that I was within my legal rights to never go, I probably would have done that (then again, maybe wouldn't have).

What am I interested in generally? Writing (if you hadn't guessed),
    - creating my own characters, worlds and stories (and the research that goes with it, whether it's scientific or other is fun and engaging) including their wardrobe complete with fictional brands, designs and styles for each character
    - to a degree, guitar (I don't do it much/at all now though, think I messed my hands up somewhere along the line)
    - skateboarding (foolishly dropped it when I was younger, but I got back in for a while at undergrad and those were some good times)
    - snowboarding (I want to do this again one day)
    - technology/games/computers (all three and to an extent programming)
    - Go karting/motorsport

I don't think I take well to being told what to do, how to do it and when (unless I actually need the help, then I'll ask)

Majority of what I come across in my degree I don't deem useful and isn't retained and gets mentally deleted as soon as the assessment is done (although that goes way back to my school days) and yet I can retain the information of dozens of characters I've created and stories I've written, when they were drawn/created/written, what they look like, how many revisions they've been through etc. (Also means if I want to create a new character who's similar to someone I've already made, my brain says you already have one of these and uses them instead)

ReputationRep:
    It would be pretty dumb to go onto postgrad if I disliked my subject. Yes, I enjoy it. I really enjoy the lab work and the environment of a research institute.

ReputationRep:
    If I was you and I had such a passion on character creation I would go for digital art. Why aren't you thinking of going and studying another subject if you don't see yourself into science? If you're good, start making your own creations digitally/hand-drawn, and then apply to a digital arts school, or start uploading staff to youtube to show your talent and get some recognition.

ReputationRep:
    If I was you and I had such a passion on character creation I would go for digital art. Why aren't you thinking of going and studying another subject if you don't see yourself into science? If you're good, start making your own creations digitally/hand-drawn, and then apply to a digital arts school, or start uploading staff to youtube to show your talent and get some recognition.
    I have taken steps towards digital art. Can draw surprisingly well in OneNote of all things on my iPad (got bored one lecture and started drawing (getting bored is how I discovered drawing in the first place). Try drawing in an app that's meant for drawing and it doesn't go quite so well. I still do a better job than when I tried using a graphics. I'm really shy and protective when it comes to showing my art and writing off to others (did do it for a while on DeviantArt, maybe I'll return back there).

Used to have this competition (it was just my own mental target, nothing serious) with my friend from school, really good at art and used to work with him to write/create characters and stories, in art where I'd try and outdo him. I'd do my best to bring my A game. My dad's suggested art school before, I resisted since I didn't want school getting in on it and ruining it for me. I've been teaching myself ever since I got into art and been improving over the years.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but if you want to make money out of it, maybe school has to get in and 'ruin' it for you. Which is not the case, if you really love it, you're going to enjoy the stress of making something difficult and big within a time limit. It the only way to really become good at something. Go for art school.

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.