Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all I was just wondering I still have not gotten my period and I am so nervous as to whether i will get really bad cramps and I wanted to know should I be worried. Does it happen to most girls and how do I handle it. I have anxiety about vomiting and I’m scarred that every time on my period I will vomit or feel sick. Should I be worried?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chelsea_1233)
    Hi all I was just wondering I still have not gotten my period and I am so nervous as to whether i will get really bad cramps and I wanted to know should I be worried. Does it happen to most girls and how do I handle it. I have anxiety about vomiting and I’m scarred that every time on my period I will vomit or feel sick. Should I be worried?
    Honestly the minority of girls vomit. Some people get really bad cramps but others, like me, don’t get them. The only time I get them a little is in the middle of not having it for some weird reason 😂 dw about it. Remember you can always take paracetamol if they are bad.

ReputationRep:
    Okay thank you so much
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    It varies a lot so don't worry about it and just see how it goes for you. Make sure to have some painkillers and a heat pad or bath handy though just in case (well as handy as you can have a whole bath tub anyway).
    It may also help you to stay at least somewhat active or to gently massage your abdomen (that part under your belly where period cramps happen). Peppermint is also good for cramping pains so if you want to take something other than painkillers you can try some peppermint tea. It's also nice and relaxing.
    As far as vomiting goes it's rather rare so don't worry about that. If you do feel sick though you can try plain foods, things like ginger to settle your stomach and talking to a pharmacist.

I'm sure you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    I know most people don’t tend to vomit. If you get cramps I find that heat packs really help. Don’t worry about it. Chocolate is also always good🙂

ReputationRep:
    Do not take paracetamol as they aren't anti-inflammatory drugs (does not inflammatory pain such as cramps). Take ibuprofen. It act much faster and effectively.
    I myself have cramps (hurts like hell. As if strings were wrapped around the leg so tightly it feels like blood isn't flowing) and I feel cold and all energy sapped out. But for some reason have light bleeding and the bleeding last for only 3 days

ReputationRep:
    Moved to health

ReputationRep:
    Mine was worse when I was 17. I have been sick before once too.
    I usual feel hot, sick and shaky to go with my pain and get constipated a LOT.
    You've got this for a long time yet, so just take tablets, hot water bottle, have a sleep if need be.
    If it's really bad, go to your doctor.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I have never been sick but I usually have stomach cramps and thats how I know that my period is coming, so like some of the posts have said, try hot water bottles, painkillers and food but dont stress out too much x

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much everyone this is so helpful I’m much more relaxed now ))

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much everyone this is so helpful I’m much more relaxed now ))
    That’s ok. You don’t need to worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    I've never been sick with period pain (I'm also emetophobic so very anxious about vomiting/other people vomiting so I totally get you there.

As for the period cramps, not everyone gets them, and most people who do get them (like me) don't get them toooo badly. Some, however, do get really bad cramps and there's really no way of knowing if you'll be one of those people.
    Does anyone in your family have bad cramps, or no cramps, etc? Knowing that, while not 100% accurate, may help you to know what you'll be like (it can be genetic).

Painkillers, in particular Ibuprofen, are really good for period pain. Paracetamol also works for some people, but not everyone. If it turns out that you do get bad cramps, your doctor can prescribe things that can help too.
    Hot water bottles and similar hot things can help as well, including a hot bath.

But definitely don't worry about it. I was worried about cramps when I started at 12 (I'm 15 now) but honestly it's really not always as scary as you think it might be.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you this is so helpful I can sleep at night now. How do you deal with your anxiety of vomiting. I just worry every time I feel sick so don’t know weather I’m going to vomit. Do you have any special ways you deal with it. Sorry this is off topic but I have been trying to deal with this for 6 years

ReputationRep:
    Hi again, don't worry about it, I'm happy to help!!

Unfortunately I don't have any magic tricks as I've been dealing for a long time too... the only thing that works for me is distraction (things like music, etc).

It's a really difficult fear because it's something you have to encounter quite frequently (with yourself and others).
    So you have my sympathy on this!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 18, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.