Turn on thread page Beta

Should the gun law be banned in the us? watch

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I believe it will save millions of lives if the guns are banned within the US (apart from the authority and farmers having them).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jesswalton888)
    Personally, I believe it will save millions of lives if the guns are banned within the US (apart from the authority and farmers having them).
    You mean ban the second amendment in the constitution?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jdddd)
    You mean ban the second amendment in the constitution?
    Yes, that is the second amendment...

ReputationRep:
    I think it should be banned, especially seeing as what happened yesterday in Florida.

ReputationRep:
    No, it's too late for that. There are already 300m+ guns in the country. Banning them / repealing the second amendment won't make a difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    No, it's too late for that. There are already 300m+ guns in the country. Banning them / repealing the second amendment won't make a difference.
    Finally someone with sense lol. Also, what do you think would happen if you banned guns?

ReputationRep:
    There needs to be a better balance but I think a lot of people both in the US and the Rest of the world think that getting a gun is as easy as just going to a gun show and just pointing at a gun and paying for it.

ReputationRep:
    Lol guns are banned here, and my 15 year old friend has one :rofl:
    In America there are more guns than people, all you would be doing would be putting the lives of innocent people in danger as everyone else will still have one.

ReputationRep:
    I understand that guns are a form of protection but the UK make do without them? Maybe it is too late for them to be banned, but surely something can be done to stop things happening like what happened in Florida.

ReputationRep:
    I understand that guns are a form of protection but the UK make do without them? Maybe it is too late for them to be banned, but surely something can be done to stop things happening like what happened in Florida.
    The UK hasn't had 200+ years of engrained gun culture to counteract.

You're talking about fundamentally different views of society. You can't make it as simple as you're trying to.

You can restrict certain types of weapons, sure. Limit ammunition. But you can't simply ban the lot, it wouldn't work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jdddd)
    Finally someone with sense lol. Also, what do you think would happen if you banned guns?
    Lol. Maybe millions of lives would be saved? I understand that maybe it is too late to suddenly ban guns in the US, considering most of the population has one. But there has to be something done, clearly most people with guns within the US are not using them for the right reasons (such as security), resulting in the death of thousands each day?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    How does it save millions if there arent millions who die?
    Wont a lot of those people just die by other means?
    Isn't it up to the US people and their elected representatives to decide and not foreigners or other nations?

ReputationRep:
    The UK hasn't had 200+ years of engrained gun culture to counteract.

You're talking about fundamentally different views of society. You can't make it as simple as you're trying to.

You can restrict certain types of weapons, sure. Limit ammunition. But you can't simply ban the lot, it wouldn't work.
    No. But you can ban people from buying them. The UK and US aren't exactly dramatically different in terms of society are we? I really don't understand why you need guns? The death rate is dramatically higher in the US than the UK.. Wonder why that is??

ReputationRep:
    Lol. Maybe millions of lives would be saved? I understand that maybe it is too late to suddenly ban guns in the US, considering most of the population has one. But there has to be something done, clearly most people with guns within the US are not using them for the right reasons (such as security), resulting in the death of thousands each day?
    Lol. You obviously have no idea on what takes place at the moment. Each state has there own Laws to control the use of firearms and them getting in the wrong hands etc but 'banning guns' won't help. There will be war if that happened, why do you think no US Government has done it so far it was that easy? Its a constitutional right.

ReputationRep:
    So even if the ban is brought in tomorrow, there are still estimated to be at least 250 million + guns in circulation in the USA. What happens to them? Do people have to turn them in? What happens if they don't? Will everyone get arrested? Criminals already have access to firearms in the USA, I doubt they will be front of the queue handing them in.

Banning new people buying guns might solve the issue long term as guns disintegrate over a long period and their owners can't replace them, but in the short to medium term I do not believe it will save as many lives as you might think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jdddd)
    The most significant thing would be that a whole bunch of well armed, reasonably well trained, right wing militia groups in the mid-day would almost certainly declare all out war on the federal government and all associated with those institutions.

As has already been seen there are people amongst these groups who do not have a problem with launching direct attacks against federal infrastructure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heidi_16)
    I think it should be banned, especially seeing as what happened yesterday in Florida.
    Thankyou!! Someone with a brain ..

ReputationRep:
    No. But you can ban people from buying them. The UK and US aren't exactly dramatically different in terms of society are we? I really don't understand why you need guns? The death rate is dramatically higher in the US than the UK.. Wonder why that is??
    That wouldn't solve anything.

What you're proposing is a knee jerk, naive reaction, not an actual policy that would help matters. Criminals, and those intent on doing harm, wouldn't be put off by a ban. So how do you stop them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mojojojo101)
    The most significant thing would be that a whole bunch of well armed, reasonably well trained, right wing militia groups in the mid-day would almost certainly declare all out war on the federal government and all associated with those institutions.

As has already been seen there are people amongst these groups who do not have a problem with launching direct attacks against federal infrastructure.
    Exactly. Where literally millions of people would die. Not the 'millions' in the OP post that don't die that numbers in the hundreds of thousands. How hard is it for people to understand this?

ReputationRep:
    That wouldn't solve anything.

What you're proposing is a knee jerk, naive reaction, not an actual policy that would help matters. Criminals, and those intent on doing harm, wouldn't be put off by a ban. So how do you stop them?
    Realistically you can't, there will be people that beat the system. I'm not naive enough to think that. But you can prevent millions from buying guns that genuinely don't really need one.. The only reason for a gun is security, yet America seem to be the only country to have school shootings on near enough, a daily occurrence.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.