Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,Having so much confusion with student finance and I can't find anyone to talk to who can actually give some decent advice!!!!!I was attempting to apply to be an independent student......I'm under 25 and I've been working since leaving school, as my evidence I was going to send in either my payslips or my P60 for the last three years. My first year would be me working at Morrisons supermarket for a year however I only earned around £4,000 for the year (also part time) and then I've been working at a pub company since march 2016 and coming up to march 2018 that will be my third year, and i have been earning £18,000-£20,000 in these two years which I'm going to assume is okay,My worry is that the first year won't count because 1) it's part time 2) the low income for the year - even though I've been supporting myself for three years I don't want to waste time waiting to submit my application for it to end up getting declined because of that first year - should I just base off parents income? any help with be greatly appreciated!!!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Geepegg)
    Hi,Having so much confusion with student finance and I can't find anyone to talk to who can actually give some decent advice!!!!!I was attempting to apply to be an independent student......I'm under 25 and I've been working since leaving school, as my evidence I was going to send in either my payslips or my P60 for the last three years. My first year would be me working at Morrisons supermarket for a year however I only earned around £4,000 for the year (also part time) and then I've been working at a pub company since march 2016 and coming up to march 2018 that will be my third year, and i have been earning £18,000-£20,000 in these two years which I'm going to assume is okay,My worry is that the first year won't count because 1) it's part time 2) the low income for the year - even though I've been supporting myself for three years I don't want to waste time waiting to submit my application for it to end up getting declined because of that first year - should I just base off parents income? any help with be greatly appreciated!!!
    Hi Geepegg,

When applying to be an independent student based on self support, it is taken on a case by case basis. The years where you earned £18,000-£20,000 will certainly be enough to be accepted but you are correct, the year in which you earned £4000 may not be accepted however it is taken on a case by case basis.

You could apply for your funding now based on 3 years of self-support, if you're able to send your evidence soon then you shouldn't be waiting too long for an answer. If you're not accepted as in independent student you can send your parents financial details and we will change the application.

Kind regards,

John.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.