Turn on thread page Beta

My circuitous thoughts... watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hello to you reading this :hello: (or me reading this back)

These are my thoughts about random things at random times They're probably not going to be funny and will most likely be me complaining, so read on at your own peril

Feel free to comment (or not, I don't mind :dontknow:)

Posts will be very sparodic and I'll no doubt forget about this :laugh: so if you want to be tagged, let me know I guess....

ReputationRep:
    I look forward to reading them.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Random, rambling thought #1 (take 2)

Why school? Why?

I want to go to school to learn, enjoy myself and grow as a person, not sit in a classroom with people who don't want to learn and would rather sit at home all day on their phone. I don't want to sit in a classroom learning formulas I will never need again.
    I want to be taught life skills, how to choose the right university course, how to write a personal statement, not the Quadratic forumula or Hindu attitudes to contraception or how to calaucate the work done for an object.

The reformed exams are a way of segregating students with a good memory. (Which I do not have). The government says that you don't have to memorise sections of a text or the forumulas and equations, but you do. And you know why? Because they took them out. Exams aren't open book for English. They don't have formula sheets for physics, so what do we have to do? We memorise them.

The government also wonders why there is a huge rise in anxiety and depression in teenagers. Why you ask? Because you. You're putting so much pressure on young people, by how they should look, how they should act, and now by making them feel worthless if they don't get that perfect grade. Too many times have I placed my self worth on a grade and that has taken a toll on me.

More exams won't help us. It'll make us worse. I want to learn, not be a walking robot. You need to stop, take a step back and just see the effects you have created for millions of young people in the U.K. Only then can you begin to understand and connect with Generation Z.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by laurawatt)

Why school? Why?

I want to go to school to learn, enjoy myself and grow as a person, not sit in a classroom with people who don't want to learn and would rather sit at home all day on their phone. I don't want to sit in a classroom learning formulas I will never need again.
    I want to be taught life skills, how to choose the right university course, how to write a personal statement, not the Quadratic forumula or Hindu attitudes to contraception or how to calaucate the work done for an object.

The reformed exams are a way of segregating students with a good memory. (Which I do not have). The government says that you don't have to memorise sections of a text or the forumulas and equations, but you do. And you know why? Because they took them out. Exams aren't open book for English. They don't have formula sheets for physics, so what do we have to do? We memorise them.

The government also wonders why there is a huge rise in anxiety and depression in teenagers. Why you ask? Because you. You're putting so much pressure on young people, by how they should look, how they should act, and now by making them feel worthless if they don't get that perfect grade. Too many times have I placed my self worth on a grade and that has taken a toll on me.

More exams won't help us. It'll make us worse. I want to learn, not be a walking robot. You need to stop, take a step back and just see the effects you have created for millions of young people in the U.K. Only then can you begin to understand and connect with Generation Z.
    Well said.:heart: This was quite an emotive read.:cry2:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    Well said.:heart: This was quite an emotive read.:cry2:
    :cute: thank you :yes:
    I didn't know you would find this thread :ninja:

(Original post by Less(e/o)n)
    I look forward to reading them.
    First post is #3

ReputationRep:
    First post is #3
    And an interesting read it was, too. From what you wrote, I got the impression you're a fairly young student (i.e. GCSE/A-level). Am I right in thinking that?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Less(e/o)n)
    And an interesting read it was, too. From what you wrote, I got the impression you're a fairly young student (i.e. GCSE/A-level). Am I right in thinking that?
    :yes: I'm in Year 10
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Random, rambling thought #2

Girls can wear the shortest shorts and skimpiest shirts but when we put on a swimming costume or bikini our self esteem plummets. Why?
    Who's going to judge you at a swimming pool? But ignoring all sense, a tidal wave of doubt washes over us when we take that first look in the mirror.
    We need to stop doubting ourselves and imbrace our beauty for what it is. Don't let your perception of beauty rule over you and be a Damacles sword hanging over your head.

EDIT: Men feel this too :yep:
    Women get all the media attention for being insecure, but men should get this too. Men can and do feel insecure and anxious and this shouldn't be overlooked.
    Men, women, whatever you identify as, you are loved :heart: you're beautiful and how you look shouldn't affect your confidence Because you're worth it *hair flick*
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Random, rambling thought #2

Girls can wear the shortest shorts and skimpiest shirts but when we put on a swimming costume or bikini our self esteem plummets. Why?
    Who's going to judge you at a swimming pool? But ignoring all sense, a tidal wave of doubt washes over us when we take that first look in the mirror.
    We need to stop doubting ourselves and imbrace our beauty for what it is. Don't let your perception of beauty rule over you and be a Damacles sword hanging over your head.
    I must say, it isn't just girls.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    I must say, it isn't just girls.
    Amended
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Amended
    Yeah just wanted to say I've felt similar. Even though it's silly. I just do and can't help it and I think this is the first time I've ever admitted that to someone.

ReputationRep:

Why school? Why?

can you send me this? I wanna copy this in my notes. please.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You are awesome.
    You are strong.
    You are powerful.

You are loved.

Keep it up :yes:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    A shouted name, a whispered word.
    What are they talking about, is it me? Is it my hair, my clothes?
    Why are they looking at me, oh god just stop.
    Why am I never good enough?

Maybe they don't like me because I'm ugly. Too short. Too fat.
    My face isn't right with it's chubby rosy cheeks and high forehead.

I'm sorry that I keep pushing you away, I swear I don't mean to.
    I just don't want to speak. I just don't want to be near anyone.

I don't deserve what I have.
    I don't deserve what I will have.
    I don't deserve anything.

I don't deserve kindness.
    I don't deserve love.
    I don't deserve happiness, compassion or sympathy.
    I don't deserve it.

"It's one of those days" I say, a fake smile plastered over my face.
    But it's never just 'one of those days' is it?
    Why am I never good enough for anyone?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    "I understand that struggling against my feelings leads to more suffering than simply experiencing them as they are."

"I am willing to experience my thoughts and feelings without judging them as good or bad."
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    "My thoughts are just something I have. They are not who I am."

"They are not always the complete truth and I do not have to act on them."
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    My hand won't stop shaking.

I don't think I'm going to manage the whole day of school...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I managed the whole of school :rave:

But still feel a but like this:

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.