Turn on thread page Beta
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Did anyone else watch this?

It's about a group of "gifted and talented" Year 9s and the obstacles and opportunities they face.

First episode was very interesting, and one point jumped out at me: leaving it until Year 12 to inform students about university funding/loans/bursaries is too late. By that stage many from low-income households have already convinced themselves that university is financially out of reach.

The look on one girl's face when first she thought it would cost £500, then £1000, then discovered it would be £9250 per year was heartbreaking.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09s7mnh
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)

It's about a group of "gifted and talented" Year 9s and the obstacles and opportunities they face.

First episode was very interesting, and one point jumped out at me: leaving it until Year 12 to inform students about university funding/loans/bursaries is too late. By that stage many from low-income households have already convinced themselves that university is financially out of reach.

Haven’t seen it but your point about loans rings true. I spent so much of my time worrying about whether I would be able to go to uni because of the cost because I had no knowledge of loans for either tuition fees or the maintenance loan and I knew that there was no way I’d be able to pay for it otherwise.m but I was lucky that my school pressures us into uni so much (too much for some people) that I didn’t give up on hopes and then eventually found out more about loans.

ReputationRep:
    these children would have been natural candidates for Grammar Schools. talented youngsters from impoverished backgrounds were given first rate educations and entered Universities in their droves. this great motor of social advancement has been taken away from the vast majority of areas now.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers

The look on one girl's face when first she thought it would cost £500, then £1000, then discovered it would be £9250 per year was heartbreaking.

I didnt watch it but I wholeheartedly agree that children should be educated about university much younger. As someone from a low income background, the only reason I believed it could be a possibility that i could go to university was that my mum went when I was in primary school. As it was difficult financially for my family at that time, i hadn't expected to have the quality of life I had at university at all until I found out how much grant I was getting.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by the bear)
    these children would have been natural candidates for Grammar Schools. talented youngsters from impoverished backgrounds were given first rate educations and entered Universities in their droves. this great motor of social advancement has been taken away from the vast majority of areas now.
    I'm not convinced Grammars are the answer. The teachers at their local comps featured on this programme where frankly amazing. Enabling good teachers to teach well seems better than creaming off a select few pupils.

(Original post by claireestelle)
    I didnt watch it but I wholeheartedly agree that children should be educated about university much younger. As someone from a low income background, the only reason I believed it could be a possibility that i could go to university was that my mum went when I was in primary school. As it was difficult financially for my family at that time, i hadn't expected to have the quality of life I had at university at all until I found out how much grant I was getting.
    Yes. And although grants have gone I think few realise that many universities still have bursaries for low-income and/or academically strong students.

The programme was very good - try a catchup

It was also striking how many of these gifted children had very low self-esteem and very high stress, but I have a feeling it was an editorial decision to major on them for "good telly" reasons. But still, these kids need to appreciate their talents and also give themselves some credit...
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I'm not convinced Grammars are the answer. The teachers at their local comps featured on this programme where frankly amazing. Enabling good teachers to teach well seems better than creaming off a select few pupils.

Yes. And although grants have gone I think few realise that many universities still have bursaries for low-income and/or academically strong students.

The programme was very good - try a catchup

It was also striking how many of these gifted children had very low self-esteem and very high stress, but I have a feeling it was an editorial decision to major on them for "good telly" reasons. But still, these kids need to appreciate their talents and also give themselves some credit...
    Unfortunately until next month we're still on limited internet so streaming is rationed, but if it's still available then i will definitely give it a watch Yes people definitely aren't aware of all the funding available to them. It is sad to see children with such bad self esteems, I remember the one person that went to Cambridge in my year was very hateful of themselves for getting an B in a singular exam they had but so much pressure on themselves and didn't enjoy anything outside of their studies. Kids should be able to be kids sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    i also found that moment really sad.

idk, it wasn’t for me, maybe it was my attitude towards it - but they were presenting that people of my generation are completely oblivious to their futures. i can not speak for other people but i’m certainly aware of life after gcses - i look on the ucas website often, i’m already arranging work experience etc. :yep:

i did emphasise with the pressure for exams etc.
    i will honestly crumble in an exam situation if i can’t answer the question, i put so much pressure on myself and i’m always striving to succeed. i wish that we, as a generation, weren’t put under as much pressure.

overall it was a good programme though, i definitely related as they are in the same year as me (this would have been filmed in the previous academic year when they were in year 9, so they would now be year 10)
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by clouddbubbles)
    i did emphasise with the pressure for exams etc.
    i will honestly crumble in an exam situation if i can’t answer the question, i put so much pressure on myself and i’m always striving to succeed. i wish that we, as a generation, weren’t put under as much pressure.
    And how did your year 9 exams go in the end? Did you do ok?

ReputationRep:
    And how did your year 9 exams go in the end? Did you do ok?
    i did very well - but that’s not to say i wasn’t incredibly anxious about the exams! :cry2:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by clouddbubbles)
    i did very well - but that’s not to say i wasn’t incredibly anxious about the exams! :cry2:
    Excellent! So, and I know it's hard, try to take that result with you for the next round of exams: you thought you might do badly, you got very worried about it, and yet you did well. You clearly have the ability, you just need a bit of confidence to back yourself that you will do well.

Good luck!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Not watched this yet. Having had a poor experience with my own schools 'gifted and talented programme' (most of my friends, my sister and brother were in it but I wasn't asked... but I got better grades than most of them anyway :dontknow:), I'm not convinced that teachers are the best judges of long-term academic ability. Separating students into 'gifted' and 'not-gifted' (and at such an early age) seems like a very bad idea to me.

(Original post by the bear)
    Everyone should have access to a first-rate education, not just a few early bloomers.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Part 2 is starting now.

Yesterday it was The Girls. Tonight it's The Boys.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    OK, watched the first episode. It was interesting but I'm really disappointed at how little teaching practices have changed in the 15 years since I was a Year 9. Why did the teacher suggest that end of year exams are important and will affect students' futures (they aren't and they absolutely will not), piling on the pressure to 13 and 14-year olds! Really, where do teachers pick up this crap?!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    **posting to watch to remind myself to have a look at this**

ReputationRep:
    I watched it too and my heart went out to Jada, the prospective medical student. I am a single parent but both of my sons went to Oxford. I am going to ask my younger son, who is studying medicine at Oxford to donate all the books he used to get in (which are books like the Atul Gawande ones which you do not need for your undergraduate medical degree) to Jada.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 23, 2018
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.