Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I don’t turn up to classes, I don’t do the work, and I really hate my course (animation), I made it to my second term but so far I’ve got nothing done in both terms and my tutor wants to have a meeting with me which I’m terrified about,ive been avoiding her all year. Now everytime I get an email a text a call Just anything I feel like it’s going to be the uni and i feel like throwing up call me dramatic but I’m seriously scared. At this point I don’t think it’s possible to pass, especially when I just have absolutely no drive to do the work or even leave my room I barely leave for food let alone classes.

I wanted to drop out till I realised that if I leave but stay in my accommodation I need to pay a percentage of council tax? I know that when you drop out you pay back the maintenance fees which is doable since you set up a plan to pay them off, but between the expencive accommodation fees the council tax and paying off the maintenance along with buying food to eat, I’m really worried about paying off the money, getting a job will take me a while, especially if I need to talk my way through why I left my course after 3 and a half years of trying (since I’ve dropped out of a previous course before).

If I leave the accommodation do I still pay council tax? If move back home it will seriously put a dent in my morale especially since my parent while saying I can come home, also said I would crawl back to Stay there which sits wrong with me, but well i got myself in this position so do I really have a right to complain? I don’t really know.

My only reasons for staying in uni at this point are the money issses, the fact that if I leave I’ll feel so much regret and also that I don’t know what to say to employers. I just hate this course so much it took all passion I had for drawing a threw it out a window. I’m just abit lost right now and have been throught my entire uni period, but I have no one to talk to about it, at the end of the day I know I should have worked harder but it’s too late.

Thanks for reading this long post.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Hoyo)
    I don’t turn up to classes, I don’t do the work, and I really hate my course (animation), I made it to my second term but so far I’ve got nothing done in both terms and my tutor wants to have a meeting with me which I’m terrified about,ive been avoiding her all year. Now everytime I get an email a text a call Just anything I feel like it’s going to be the uni and i feel like throwing up call me dramatic but I’m seriously scared. At this point I don’t think it’s possible to pass, especially when I just have absolutely no drive to do the work or even leave my room I barely leave for food let alone classes.

I wanted to drop out till I realised that if I leave but stay in my accommodation I need to pay a percentage of council tax? I know that when you drop out you pay back the maintenance fees which is doable since you set up a plan to pay them off, but between the expencive accommodation fees the council tax and paying off the maintenance along with buying food to eat, I’m really worried about paying off the money, getting a job will take me a while, especially if I need to talk my way through why I left my course after 3 and a half years of trying (since I’ve dropped out of a previous course before).

If I leave the accommodation do I still pay council tax? If move back home it will seriously put a dent in my morale especially since my parent while saying I can come home, also said I would crawl back to Stay there which sits wrong with me, but well i got myself in this position so do I really have a right to complain? I don’t really know.

My only reasons for staying in uni at this point are the money issses, the fact that if I leave I’ll feel so much regret and also that I don’t know what to say to employers. I just hate this course so much it took all passion I had for drawing a threw it out a window. I’m just abit lost right now and have been throught my entire uni period, but I have no one to talk to about it, at the end of the day I know I should have worked harder but it’s too late.

Hi,

I'm really sorry you're feeling this way and in this situation. It is really difficult and getting help and support is the first step forward.

I'm assuming this is a 3 year course in which case you only have half a year left. How have you been doing so far? What career plans do you have for after and how will dropping out of this course affect them? Will you need to do another degree? Talking to your personal tutor is the first step forward. They may be able to help you to identify what is causing this lack of motivation and desire to leave your room. They will also be able to discuss your options with you. The SU is also a good source of advice.

ReputationRep:
    It is never too late. You can still turn it all around and at least leave with a 2:1. Hell even a 2:2 is better than dropping out this stage. Stop worrying about the council tax and the money issues those are distractions that you have conjured up to distract you from your real problems. You sound like you're going through a depression so I would start with telling your tutor during the meeting and even if you feel like you're not depressed there's no harm in playing the victim as this will get you some brownie points in the form of sympathy which will make your tutor less angry/disappointed with you. Also if you inform the uni now they will take that into account and not kick you out.

What does your family think about this? Maybe speak to your close relatives...

In closing, it doesn't matter what course you do at uni what matters more are the transferable skills and experiences that you build over the duration of the course. You can do lots of different jobs with Animation so just get your degree and worry later.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Hoyo)

Have you been seeing your GP for depression and anxiety? Get yourself checked out and imo start telling them how its affecting your work.

How are your marks for the first two years? Are they acceptable? Is it just the third year thats gone wrong?

If I were in your situation I would have a kind of nervous breakdown and suspend studies or even withdraw. I would use medical evidence to support this.

I would then get myself sorted out so I could finish or transfer credits.
    I would then apply for compelling personal reasons for further funding an finish my degree. i.e redo third year. If you cant finish this course then see if you can transfer credits to somewhere else.

The CT is a complete red herring.
    If you cease to be a student, then you become liable for CT in your new property (parents), but as they already pay it, then the worst that could happen is they lose a single persons discount and if theres already more than one person, then there would be no extra CT at all. You would also be on the benefits system so wuld only be liable for about 20%.

Go and see your GP or welfare. Your priority is to get better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Hi,

I'm really sorry you're feeling this way and in this situation. It is really difficult and getting help and support is the first step forward.

I'm assuming this is a 3 year course in which case you only have half a year left. How have you been doing so far? What career plans do you have for after and how will dropping out of this course affect them? Will you need to do another degree? Talking to your personal tutor is the first step forward. They may be able to help you to identify what is causing this lack of motivation and desire to leave your room. They will also be able to discuss your options with you. The SU is also a good source of advice.
    Thank you for the reply, yes I only have half a year I don’t have anything to show for it since I haven’t done any of the work. I don’t have any career plans I just know for now I’d like to just do a simple job nothing requiring this degree at least, although I thought about doing open uni degree in future in language, they said you can transfer the credits but the courses are so diffrent, which brings me back to me asking myself do I really need this degree, I’m just a little lost as I said.

I know I should talk to the tutors I’m just so scared I’ve spoke them about dropping out in second year then changed my mind, I looked online for student services etc but couldn’t find any I know there is some but was afraid to ask someone, I really should get the ball roling in this and actually ask my tutor, just a case of me doing so. Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haviland-Tuf)
    It is never too late. You can still turn it all around and at least leave with a 2:1. Hell even a 2:2 is better than dropping out this stage. Stop worrying about the council tax and the money issues those are distractions that you have conjured up to distract you from your real problems. You sound like you're going through a depression so I would start with telling your tutor during the meeting and even if you feel like you're not depressed there's no harm in playing the victim as this will get you some brownie points in the form of sympathy which will make your tutor less angry/disappointed with you. Also if you inform the uni now they will take that into account and not kick you out.

What does your family think about this? Maybe speak to your close relatives...

In closing, it doesn't matter what course you do at uni what matters more are the transferable skills and experiences that you build over the duration of the course. You can do lots of different jobs with Animation so just get your degree and worry later.
    Thank you for the reply, nothings ever to late I think, I’m just panicking, I think your right with my distracting myself, I’ve been doing a lot of procrastinating throught my uni years so I really don’t doubt that’s what I was doing, I guess I was weighing my options. I’ve made it a point to not use my depression or anxiety as an excuse for not coming in or doing the work, I know my tutors know somethings wrong since I’ve been a mess all three years but it’d be weird for me to come out and say I’m depressed at this point wouldn’t it? Especially without it being diagnosed, I mean I guess I could try, but I don’t like making excuses. Your right I need to tell them now I’ve missed months of uni I’m surprised I haven’t been kicked out.

My family, I can tell their disappointed my dad told me so the first time I dropped out and that was in first year then in my second try in second year my parents argued over me just wanting to leave, they don’t mind me leaving, but they really want me to just pull through even If it’s barely a pass, I haven’t spoken to them about this time yet cause I’m scared it’ll be like the boy who cried wolf, me saying that i want to leave all the time even tho my parents know I’m unhappy with the course.

Your right, it isn’t all about The degree and there’s is avenues with animation I just don’t want to take them sadly, I’ll take what you said into account, thank you again i feel alittle lighter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Have you been seeing your GP for depression and anxiety? Get yourself checked out and imo start telling them how its affecting your work.

How are your marks for the first two years? Are they acceptable? Is it just the third year thats gone wrong?

If I were in your situation I would have a kind of nervous breakdown and suspend studies or even withdraw. I would use medical evidence to support this.

I would then get myself sorted out so I could finish or transfer credits.
    I would then apply for compelling personal reasons for further funding an finish my degree. i.e redo third year. If you cant finish this course then see if you can transfer credits to somewhere else.

The CT is a complete red herring.
    If you cease to be a student, then you become liable for CT in your new property (parents), but as they already pay it, then the worst that could happen is they lose a single persons discount and if theres already more than one person, then there would be no extra CT at all. You would also be on the benefits system so wuld only be liable for about 20%.

Go and see your GP or welfare. Your priority is to get better.
    Thank you for the reply, no I haven’t been to the GP for my anxiety or depression, when i wet to the GP recently for other reasons I was to scared to mention it I thought they wouldn’t belive me.

My work for the other 2 years was also bad I barely passed both years and my attendance was awful, in 1st year my mental health was really severe but since I was slowly and steadily getting better I didn’t think I needed to go to a GP and I though I could maybe endure the 3rd year but it still gotten to be abit of a mess. I don't know anything about suspension of studies I’ll have to look it up.

Wait transfer credits somewhere else? I never thought of that, I’ll try fix my mess of a situation first but I’ll also look into that, that’s a really good option if it’s possible thanks for that!

CT I’m not worried about if I go home, my parents said that me being there and paying rent doesn’t affect anything, it’s a shame I have to pay it if I want to stay in my accommodation tho but fair so can’t complain too much.

What you’ve said about mental health has actually really helped as well, so far I’ve only spoken to my parents about it and they don’t understand so they only say I need to work hard at not being depressed or not have anxiety, that I should just go to a GP they don’t understand why I’m scared too. Thank you again
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Hoyo)
    Thank you for the reply, no I haven’t been to the GP for my anxiety or depression, when i wet to the GP recently for other reasons I was to scared to mention it I thought they wouldn’t belive me.

My work for the other 2 years was also bad I barely passed both years and my attendance was awful, in 1st year my mental health was really severe but since I was slowly and steadily getting better I didn’t think I needed to go to a GP and I though I could maybe endure the 3rd year but it still gotten to be abit of a mess. I don't know anything about suspension of studies I’ll have to look it up.

Wait transfer credits somewhere else? I never thought of that, I’ll try fix my mess of a situation first but I’ll also look into that, that’s a really good option if it’s possible thanks for that!

CT I’m not worried about if I go home, my parents said that me being there and paying rent doesn’t affect anything, it’s a shame I have to pay it if I want to stay in my accommodation tho but fair so can’t complain too much.

What you’ve said about mental health has actually really helped as well, so far I’ve only spoken to my parents about it and they don’t understand so they only say I need to work hard at not being depressed or not have anxiety, that I should just go to a GP they don’t understand why I’m scared too. Thank you again
    Once you cease to be a student, then its unlikely if you are in uni accommodation they will let you stay for long. If its private rented and the rest are students, then you would become liable as if you were the only person living there, hence its probably better to move home.

If its say a private studio and you want to stay plus LL is ok, then talk to shelter and see about getting on the benefits system. SFE have an option of 60 days discretionary payment.

You also need to be talking to student welfare and mental health at the uni. You have done yourself n no favours by staying away from the GP and trying to handle it yourself. Start making goo decisions for you.

Talk to SFE, but it may be impossible to get funding back for a different degree as trying to show compelling personal reasons for 3 years is much harder. One year is feasible with medical evidence, ut 3 might be too much of a stretch.

See GP and explain depression an anxiety and they can give you a letter about how its affected your studies.

Talk to tutor and they may let you suspend and come back when you are better. Its hard to say whether your degree is worth saving or you can get away with a reasonable one. I am shocked neither you nor the uni picked this up in year one or two. You need to make good decisions for you..

The OU are often amenable to transfers, but your other issue is having run out of funding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoyo)

please don't drop out- I know its easy for me to say but just power through these next months and DONT FAIL. dropping out is the worst option for you right now-get help/ do what you need to do to power through

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2018
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.