Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'll just add, I'm from Nottingham and that is a fantastic uni, plus the city is amazing. I think you would have a better experience in Nottingham than Oxford, if life outside of studying is a consideration for you. Obviously Oxford has the reputation but you're not wrong to consider taking your offer from Nottingham...put some real thought into it. Good luck!!!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Kyber Ninja)
    ABB for an AAA is practically impossible.
    I know someone who had clearing offers for AAA courses having achieved ABC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    I know someone who had clearing offers for AAA courses having achieved ABC.
    My bad - I meant getting ABB on results day and getting accepted on to an AAA course at Oxford.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    My bad - I meant getting ABB on results day and getting accepted on to an AAA course at Oxford.
    Yeah Oxford won't, but Nottingham might.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallingleaves6)
    Hi, I applied to Oxford on the off chance, not really ever thinking I’d get a place, but somehow I have a place at Lincoln to study CAAH (Classical Archaeology and Ancient History). I need to get AAA in the summer to get in, but I’m really struggling with all my subjects at the moment - I got BCC in my mocks and although my teachers seem to think I can get the grades with hard work, I’m really feeling overwhelmed right now with all the coursework and essays to do. I just don’t see how I’m going to get these grades.

I also have an unconditional offer from Nottingham, which I really love - the Uni, the course, the city, everything! And it’s so tempting to just firm Nottingham and take some of the stress off, because then it doesn’t matter what I get in my A Levels (although I’ll still work hard)

But then - surely I’m being an idiot to even think of turning down Oxford? So many people don’t even get this far, it seems stupid to turn down one of the best universities in the country and in Europe.

I do love the course at Oxford, and the college and the teaching and everything looks so so amazing, but even if I somehow make the grades and get in I feel like I won’t be able to keep up with everyone else as I’ll have scraped in while they probably breezed through effortlessly, plus if I’m struggling at A Level how am I going to cope at Oxford???

But if I turn down Oxford I know I’ll probably come in for some major regret down the line, and have that ‘what if’ in my head.

My current solution is to have Oxford as my first choice and Nottingham as my second - the offer is only unconditional if it is put as my first choice - if it is put second then it becomes AAB. But that’s not much of a safety net - what happens if I get ABB? Or lower? ABB is technically within Nottingham’s range on their website but its not the offer they gave me so I’m not sure they’d accept it.....

I know this is long and rambling, but please help!
    It is a difficult position. Nottingham will give you relief cos it’s unconditional and over the 3 years you won’t really be competing as much as being in Oxford. It’s whether you want the challenge.

Your worried about grades.. but don’t let it put you off. If you think you are capable then firm Oxford and put your back up as a lower uni like a real back up eg BBB or BBC.. it’s your decision at the end of the day. Chat to your parents as they know you best (most likely) and see what they say. Only you know what your capable of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Yeah Oxford won't, but Nottingham might.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Then why doesn't OP just firm Ox and insure Notts?

In all probability, there will be many classics courses in clearing at top unis anyway, including Notts.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Then why doesn't OP just firm Ox and insure Notts?

In all probability, there will be many classics courses in clearing at top unis anyway, including Notts.
    That was my reco

ReputationRep:
    I got into Nottingham with ABB instead of AAB. I asked why and apparently it was because they had a lot of spaces on the course so it was easier to get in for my year. It is a matter of luck if they let you in with slightly lower grades.

Oxford is oxford. If your aim in life is to get to the top of whatever you want to do, you can’t see Oxford and pass it by. You’ll look back and wish you weren’t so scared and you’ll wish you were more confident and you’ll wish that you pushed yourself. I wish that very often myself.

You’re at an age where everything you do now makes a BIG difference later on. Think in the long-term, this stress will only be temporary and the result will be worth it.

A social life is what you make of it. Who’s to say you cannot have as much fun in Oxford? Nottingham is great for social life, but only people willing to be social in the first place tell you that.

My honest advice would be to push yourself and aim for Oxford. After all if you get there, hate it, you could transfer to somewhere else after a few weeks I think. I’d look into that option too.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, thank you so much for so many great replies! You’ve all been super helpful.
    Since starting this thread, I’ve been to the Nottingham offer holders day, and had it hinted at that they’re likely to still accept me with ABB. So now I feel a lot happier having Oxford first and Nottingham second. I’m still unconvinced I can get the grades for Oxford, but I think I’d regret not giving it a go.
    (And for those asking, I honestly applied to Oxford because I loved the course. If it had just been about the prestige, I wouldn’t have bothered. I applied for 5 unis chosen specifically for their courses because they interested me and I thought they would enjoy them.)

Wish me luck in my A Levels!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I applied to Oxford on the off chance, not really ever thinking I’d get a place, but somehow I have a place at Lincoln to study CAAH (Classical Archaeology and Ancient History). I need to get AAA in the summer to get in, but I’m really struggling with all my subjects at the moment - I got BCC in my mocks and although my teachers seem to think I can get the grades with hard work, I’m really feeling overwhelmed right now with all the coursework and essays to do. I just don’t see how I’m going to get these grades.

I also have an unconditional offer from Nottingham, which I really love - the Uni, the course, the city, everything! And it’s so tempting to just firm Nottingham and take some of the stress off, because then it doesn’t matter what I get in my A Levels (although I’ll still work hard)

But then - surely I’m being an idiot to even think of turning down Oxford? So many people don’t even get this far, it seems stupid to turn down one of the best universities in the country and in Europe.

I do love the course at Oxford, and the college and the teaching and everything looks so so amazing, but even if I somehow make the grades and get in I feel like I won’t be able to keep up with everyone else as I’ll have scraped in while they probably breezed through effortlessly, plus if I’m struggling at A Level how am I going to cope at Oxford???

But if I turn down Oxford I know I’ll probably come in for some major regret down the line, and have that ‘what if’ in my head.

My current solution is to have Oxford as my first choice and Nottingham as my second - the offer is only unconditional if it is put as my first choice - if it is put second then it becomes AAB. But that’s not much of a safety net - what happens if I get ABB? Or lower? ABB is technically within Nottingham’s range on their website but its not the offer they gave me so I’m not sure they’d accept it.....

You need to consider what you want. That’s absolutely it. If you can say, hand on heart, you would be happier at Nottingham - That’s all you need to consider. Oxford is everything for some people, and it isn’t for others.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Hi guys, thank you so much for so many great replies! You’ve all been super helpful.
    Since starting this thread, I’ve been to the Nottingham offer holders day, and had it hinted at that they’re likely to still accept me with ABB. So now I feel a lot happier having Oxford first and Nottingham second. I’m still unconvinced I can get the grades for Oxford, but I think I’d regret not giving it a go.
    (And for those asking, I honestly applied to Oxford because I loved the course. If it had just been about the prestige, I wouldn’t have bothered. I applied for 5 unis chosen specifically for their courses because they interested me and I thought they would enjoy them.)

Sounds like a plan and good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

It sounds like you've made up your mind about what you want! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hi fallingleaves6, well done for your offers. My advice is to listen to your instinct - it is the sum total of your whole life's experience to date and seems to be telling you Nottingham. Also, go take a walk around the two campuses again and see how it feels AND check out the student support. My daughter had anxiety problems and had very little support at Nott, but that was a few years ago. Dig into the exact programme - one might have field trip costs included in the fees, or the trips might cost extra. Also look at the cost of living in each area. Draw up a table with pro's and con's of each course. Best wishes.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.