Turn on thread page Beta

Is the death penalty neccessary? watch

ReputationRep:
    Yes it should exist for paedophiles and rapist who murder and do this horrific stuff to young kids.
    They deserve death

No prison will help sort these sickos minds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jdddd)
    Two different opinions then. What would you change about the prison system?
    Well I think you need to focus on getting the re offending rate down and allow people who offended the opportunity to use their sentence to develop skills that can make them valuable members of society. Get more classes going on in prisons. Talk to young people that feel like they had no choice but to commit crimes because of their socio economic situation. Offer them the chances to better themselves. More opportunities to the poor because crime imo is a product of the rich and poor divide. Preventative measures should be focused upon rather than making punishment harsher

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    All the evidence suggests no, it isn't
    "All"? :curious:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erratic_deus)
    Expand your vocab please!
    I hate filler words such as "basically" and "like".

I also never said that every black person gets the death penalty.
    Please don't make up absurd claims!
    You’re the one making absurd claims here, not him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxox_helena)
    I see your point but surely they’d prefer to be executed than live in isolation for their entire lives
    If that was true, why do prisoners in the US take every single action they can to avoid being executed? That's why it costs so damn much because of all the appeals, They know they'll get life in jail if they succeed but obviously view that as better than death.
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Absolutely not. It's barbaric and uncivilised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    If that was true, why do prisoners in the US take every single action they can to avoid being executed? That's why it costs so damn much because of all the appeals, They know they'll get life in jail if they succeed but obviously view that as better than death.
    That may be true but as I said earlier there is no evidence to suggest it is a deterrent infact the evidence to the contrary

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azraall)
    That may be true but as I said earlier there is no evidence to suggest it is a deterrent infact the evidence to the contrary
    And you have read dozens of articles in Criminology journals to be able to make that claim of "no evidence"? I call bullpoop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james ionicbond)
    Yes it should exist for paedophiles and rapist who murder and do this horrific stuff to young kids.
    They deserve death

No prison will help sort these sickos minds
    Thankyou! Those kind of people don't at all deserve to live

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paracosm)
    Absolutely not. It's barbaric and uncivilised.
    Really? why do you think this - what about those who have killed a number of young children?

ReputationRep:
    I see your point but surely they’d prefer to be executed than live in isolation for their entire lives
    Yeah maybe, but a lot of prisoners live good lives, having time to themselves as well as doing different activities with the other prisoners - is this really a punished for murderers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azraall)
    Well I think you need to focus on getting the re offending rate down and allow people who offended the opportunity to use their sentence to develop skills that can make them valuable members of society. Get more classes going on in prisons. Talk to young people that feel like they had no choice but to commit crimes because of their socio economic situation. Offer them the chances to better themselves. More opportunities to the poor because crime imo is a product of the rich and poor divide. Preventative measures should be focused upon rather than making punishment harsher
    More classes in prison? Did you know you can take a degree in prison?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heidi_16)
    Yeah maybe, but a lot of prisoners live good lives, having time to themselves as well as doing different activities with the other prisoners - is this really a punished for murderers?
    Maybe life in prisons should be tougher for those sort of people then
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Maybe life in prisons should be tougher for those sort of people then
    Yeah I completely agree, but i do believe the death penalty should exist for horrific crimes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jesswalton888)
    Did you make that one up? Why should the taxpayer contribute to millions housing some disgusting, vile and mentally unstable people that will NEVER contribute to society. What is their purpose?
    So if someones been to prison they will never contribute to society. You know what i think you're right, for example that Lord Bird guy whats he done to contribute to society absolutely f all, oh wait... He's made massive contributions to helping the less fortunate and become a peer for life thanks to the rehabilitation of the prison system.

Also all these people talking about how cushty prison life is, how many of you have spent a significant length of time incarcerated? Just want opinions from people with experience outside of being grounded or having daddy take the car keys away.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Really? why do you think this - what about those who have killed a number of young children?
    Because death is absolutely horrific, it's the very foundation you base your logic on - why bring that to other people because of some ill-held idea that death begets death? We live in a civilised society, these vile people should be made to suffer in isolation for the rest of their lives, but they should not be put to death. It is not acceptable to kill another person just because we deem their actions reprehensible. It is nobody's right to kill another.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paracosm)
    Because death is absolutely horrific, it's the very foundation you base your logic on - why bring that to other people because of some ill-held idea that death begets death? We live in a civilised society, these vile people should be made to suffer in isolation for the rest of their lives, but they should not be put to death. It is not acceptable to kill another person just because we deem their actions reprehensible. It is nobody's right to kill another.
    Okay I understand your point, but I do think there should be tougher systems for them, they don't deserve to live a good life as they have ruined others
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Okay I understand your point, but I do think there should be tougher systems for them, they don't deserve to live a good life as they have ruined others
    You're certainly right there, they don't deserve a good life. But in my opinion they don't deserve death. Good to discuss this with you

ReputationRep:
    First of all I don't agree with the death penalty.

Now i have a question, everyone is talking about the scum of the earth and those who are truly horrible that do rightly deserve to be punished as candidates for the death penalty. What if it was some high level exec? What if he had been embezzling or been fraudulent and this led to people in the lower classes becoming impoverished, addicted to drugs or even children dying from malnutrition, what if there was a direct link made between this persons high level fraud and the deaths of children but he had not intended this, so its more akin to manslaughter, he had just been selfish but had shown no homicidal intent. I suppose instead of life imprisonment and removal of assets most of you in the pro camp would be ready to lynch him in an instant? This is also raises the question of should the death penalty be applied for manslaughter? and if so how do we decided when because if its a blanket penalty then manslaughter would no longer be a thing really.

ReputationRep:
    There's lots of evidence if you care to look:
    The death penalty does not work as a deterrent (The US states with the death penalty have higher homicide rates on average than those without)
    The death penalty costs more than life imprisonment (Lower likelihood of a guilty plea, cost of retrials and appeals, more than 10 year wait on death row etc)
    The death penalty in the US at least is not applied equally. Those most likely to be sentenced to death are the poor (who are often black).
    The death penalty gives no chance of undoing a wrongful conviction. Look up the 'Birmingham Six' or 'Stefan Kiszko'. All were found guilty and would have received the death penalty if it had been in place in the UK. All were later proved beyond any doubt to have been innocent.
    The death penalty devalues human life.
    The number of executions in America is steadily falling.

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.