Turn on thread page Beta

What happens if I don't use my overdraft? watch

I currently have a student bank account with a 0% overdraft fee up to £1500. I am yet to use the overdraft and I am trying my best not to. Would it be better for me to keep it like this and stay in the positive numbers or should I delve into it once or twice to show I can repay it? I don't know what would be better for a credit rating at the end.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing will happen to it - dipping or not dipping in to your overdraft doesn't affect your credit rating because it's not a form of credit. It's just like being given £1500 with no strings except for the fact that you will eventually need to pay it back, but unlike a loan there are no interest payments, and no deadlines aside from the one you decide yourself when you eventually ask the bank to switch you to a "normal" bank account after you graduate.

The only way your overdraft would have any effect on your credit rating would be if you went past the £1500, or if you switched back to a normal account and missed the repayments.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.