Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    I think this is mainly I need someone to knock some common sense into me, but anyways:
    I've been job searching for a while during my A Levels, and just received an offer for a job to work full time in an office environment over the summer (June-Sept). I originally applied for a weekend vacancy but they decided that because I was off to uni in Sept they still wanted me but for a full time temp role instead, which is pretty cool I must admit! It would pay really well, and be a great reference - I just have a couple of reservations which are probably silly and just needed some advice.
    1. I still have exams in June, which I think they'll be flexible about but I'll have to take that off as holiday I think.
    2. I also want to take the day of prom and the day after off. I know this might sound silly, but I've literally organised the entire event and tbh it's probably going to be the only fun thing I do all summer - but if I'm a temp worker, will they let me take the day off so early on? (I know you don't know but it's just my thoughts)
    3. I also don't really want to be working for A Level results day, especially if it all goes wrong (which I'm worried it might!) but again, is it unreasonable for a temp staff to ask for that many days off?
    4. I know this is silly, but I kind of wanted a bit of time off over the holidays, because this year has been really intense and I'm not sure how many more 'free' summers I'm going to get before I have to work full time! Like, I'll probably have to miss my family holiday, which I know would only be a little week somewhere on the British coast, but still... It's probably one of the last chances to spend quality time together before I'm off to uni! (Yes I know this is silly and lazy but ssh 😜)

But at the same time, it's a great company, would look really good on my CV, and would pay well - and I'm really grateful to receive the opportunity, I don't want to turn it down in case I get nothing else! Please tell me I'm being silly about this all.

Thanks for reading, sorry it's long and apologies for any errors - my phone is playing up today!

ReputationRep:
    They should be reasonable with letting you have time off even if you're only a temp. Perhaps you could just book half a day off for results day, so you still have time to go into school and pick up your results. Other than that, you need to make a decision about whether you want to work full-time over the summer or spend time with family and doing fun stuff. You can't do both.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.