Turn on thread page Beta

Haven't watched TV in 8 years - RMA! watch

• Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    As the title says, I've barely watched any live action series on TV since 2010 (the only exceptions being Eurovision, The Apprentice and Robot Wars). Such is the sacrifice one has to make in order to become a master of anime. But I'm curious to know what else I've missed in this time, or what older series might potentially be of interest.

And so, people of TSR, recommend me anything. :blow: I promise to watch at least one series, whichever one gets the most passionate or interesting review. Make it appeal to me. I may well make time for some others too.

Genres I like:
    Fantasy
    Sci-fi
    Historical (documentaries and non-fictional series also welcome!)
    Horror

*Preferably* nothing that's still airing right now, or that has 1000s of episodes (so not the major soaps!). It'd also help if the series was easily available to watch somewhere. :p: But, I did say 'anything', so feel free to ignore my preferences. :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    these are the biggest cliches but: breaking bad, peep show (might have watched earlier seasons?), black mirror
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by clearasilly)
    these are the biggest cliches but: breaking bad, peep show (might have watched earlier seasons?), black mirror
    Haven't watched any of the above. :nah: So cheers!

If you had to recommend just the one of these, which would it be? Just curious, I won't discount the others.

ReputationRep:
    Black mirror

ReputationRep:
    The hype has kinda died but S t r a n g e r T h i n g s

Binge at night with the lights off uno

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Haven't watched any of the above. :nah: So cheers!

If you had to recommend just the one of these, which would it be? Just curious, I won't discount the others.
    If you have the time then breaking bad. Ridiculously good.

Peep show is hilarious but you can watch that on and off. Black mirror is generally good (some episodes not as good as others) but you can watch the episodes in any order so again can watch it whenever.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by CallMeSosa)
    Black mirror
    Well that's two votes in favor of Black Mirror. :holmes: though I'm deciding based on what sounds most interesting, not just the one that gets mentioned most often.

(Original post by orderofthelotus)
    The hype has kinda died but S t r a n g e r T h i n g s

Binge at night with the lights off uno
    I remember when TSR was doing some sort of special promotion related to the most recent series, and I'd never even heard of it beforehand. :giggle: Binging with the light off sounds like fun, though!

(Original post by clearasilly)
    If you have the time then breaking bad. Ridiculously good.

Peep show is hilarious but you can watch that on and off. Black mirror is generally good (some episodes not as good as others) but you can watch the episodes in any order so again can watch it whenever.
    Cheers for the extra info.

ReputationRep:
    If you have a look on iPlayer, there is a show called Witless, there are 3 series, each one has about 6 episodes and they are each 30 mins. It's about two young women who are put in witness protection, and try to get the best out of it. It is a comedy, but there are some dark/weird parts in it too.
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Star Trek Discovery is SO GOOD

:hide:
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Here are some of my favourite TV shows that I'd recommend:

Les Revenants (French eerie supernatural drama)
    The Thick of It (British political comedy)
    Fargo (American dark-comedy crime-thriller heavily inspired by the amazing film of the same name)
    Twin Peaks (David Lynch mystery/horror/soap-opera that is a benchmark of weird TV)
    Firefly (American sci-fi space western that shouldn't have got cancelled after 1 series)
    Wonderfalls (Almost unheard-of Canadian comedy-drama that also got cancelled after 1 series)

I also really like Black Mirror and Rick and Morty but I'm sure they've already been mentioned

Spoiler:
    Show

Oh and Death Note but I presume you've seen it if you're a master of Anime

ReputationRep:
    What does RMA stand for? :P jk
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by gingerbread10000)
    If you have a look on iPlayer, there is a show called Witless, there are 3 series, each one has about 6 episodes and they are each 30 mins. It's about two young women who are put in witness protection, and try to get the best out of it. It is a comedy, but there are some dark/weird parts in it too.
    Certainly sounds different! :holmes:

(Original post by Paracosm)
    Star Trek Discovery is SO GOOD

:hide:
    Certainly, Star Trek is a major franchise for me not to have watched as a sci-fi fan. :ahee:
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    AngryJellyfish Westworld was AMAZING. Definitely watch if you like Sci-fi.

Also Stranger Things
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Certainly sounds different! :holmes:

Certainly, Star Trek is a major franchise for me not to have watched as a sci-fi fan. :ahee:
    omg AJ :shock: Star Trek is so good! I'm so hooked on it. I just finished Star Trek Discovery S1 and I'm already craving the next series.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Amusing Elk)
    Here are some of my favourite TV shows that I'd recommend:

Les Revenants (French eerie supernatural drama)
    The Thick of It (British political comedy)
    Fargo (American dark-comedy crime-thriller heavily inspired by the amazing film of the same name)
    Twin Peaks (David Lynch mystery/horror/soap-opera that is a benchmark of weird TV)
    Firefly (American sci-fi space western that shouldn't have got cancelled after 1 series)
    Wonderfalls (Almost unheard-of Canadian comedy-drama that also got cancelled after 1 series)

I also really like Black Mirror and Rick and Morty but I'm sure they've already been mentioned

Spoiler:
    Show

Oh and Death Note but I presume you've seen it if you're a master of Anime

I do believe you're the first to mention Rick and Morty! Not sure that I meet the necessary IQ threshold to truly understand it. :no:

Of course I've watched Death Note.

ReputationRep:
    I remember when TSR was doing some sort of special promotion related to the most recent series, and I'd never even heard of it beforehand. :giggle: Binging with the light off sounds like fun, though!
    I just saw your list of favourite genres lmao now I'd recommend it even more. It's sci-fi with a touch of horror and is set in the 80s. Even watching it through the second time kept me on the edge of my seat.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Bill Nye)
    What does RMA stand for? :P jk
    Return merchandise authorization. :yes: Something I'll be needing for that new Windows tablet I bought a couple of days back, damned thing has a faulty battery. :grumble:

ReputationRep:
    The walking dead season 1-3 were amazingly good (zombie apocalypse)
    Lucifer season 1 only season i watched would love to watch the other but dont have time. (Basically the devil himself retires from managing hell and comes to earth on holiday)
    lol you dont need to watch them on tv just google them and you can watch them, no one watches tv nowadays except for news and the occasional sport event.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by orderofthelotus)
    I just saw your list of favourite genres lmao now I'd recommend it even more. It's sci-fi with a touch of horror and is set in the 80s. Even watching it through the second time kept me on the edge of my seat.
    I also like the 80s. That certainly works in its favour.

ReputationRep:
    If you like Historical series/documentaries, I would say Vikings.

Fantasy I would recommend Game Of Thrones.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.