Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    As the title says I am looking at studying Politics and International Relations BA.

I will be applying at the age of 25 hence the mature student. I have spent the last 7 years serving in HM armed forces.

My A-Levels are far from satisfactory for most Universities (CDD).

I have been in touch with various Universities. I would like to attend the best University possible but I wouldn't be heartbroken if I have to set my expectations a little lower. Most have come back to me recommending I undertake an access course.

This would take me 2 years to complete via distance learning, it's time I don't have as I am leaving the Military summer of next year I aim to begin University in 2019. I also don't feel that an access course would be of any benefit to me other than ticking a box for entry requirements.

Is there any other way I could display I have the ability to be success on the course in question? Perhaps complete a module from the course itself? Or a way to show my interest in Politics/IR?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to TSR, ex-Sapper officer here. You might be able to show academic progress by describing career courses in language the university understands (eg CLM), and perhaps by memberships and qualifications of institutions (eg CGI, ILM, CMI etc) What capbadge and rank are you? Have you asked the CTP/IERO for advice yet? Can you use SLC/ELC? You could look at doing MOOCs and/or OU modules in the meantime. Happy to take this to PM if you'd rather not share. Good luck.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi Sam!

UEA offers a ‘Foundation Year’ for some courses – the Foundation Year is designed to equip students with a variety of key study skills which will enable them to excel as an undergraduate.That’s just one more year of on campus learning, rather than two years of distance learning.

UEA currently hosts BA Politics with Foundation Year – this course will give you the chance to study both Politics and International Relations modules. Take a closer look here.

The official grade requirements are CCC, but UEA do look at applications as a whole - your career experience could be factored into your application. I'd recommend getting in touch with UEA’s Mature Student coordinator for more advice, who’s email address can be found on this page.

Best of luck with your course hunting!

Fred – UEA PG Rep

ReputationRep:
    Hi Sam,

Have you tried looking at doing some A-levels before you leave the Army. You say you leave the summer of next year, so you could take an A-level this summer. There is still time to find a private college and you can self teach in your spare time. I’d suggest taking a couple weeks off from work before the exam as a bit of extra revision time, giving yourself the best opportunity in achieving a higher grade. You could even take them next year, depending on when exactly it is that you leave the Army. If you’re leaving in July/August next summer then the A-level exams are in June that would be fine. So I’d suggest doing that and speaking to a private college and self teaching. Per exam it would cost about £100 roughly.

Good luck !
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by samjc123)
    As the title says I am looking at studying Politics and International Relations BA.

I will be applying at the age of 25 hence the mature student. I have spent the last 7 years serving in HM armed forces.

My A-Levels are far from satisfactory for most Universities (CDD).

I have been in touch with various Universities. I would like to attend the best University possible but I wouldn't be heartbroken if I have to set my expectations a little lower. Most have come back to me recommending I undertake an access course.

This would take me 2 years to complete via distance learning, it's time I don't have as I am leaving the Military summer of next year I aim to begin University in 2019. I also don't feel that an access course would be of any benefit to me other than ticking a box for entry requirements.

Is there any other way I could display I have the ability to be success on the course in question? Perhaps complete a module from the course itself? Or a way to show my interest in Politics/IR?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
    Just quoting you in case you didn't see the above replies. I think you should read this thread, it sets out many different options for students without A levels who want to go to university: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=3401311

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.