Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    im in first year uni and I find that lectures are so pointless. everything is online so what's the point of me sitting in a class, listening to the lecturer talk through the presentation, not being able to take notes because they go through it so fast because it's going to be posted online anyway. then going home and try to teach myself what the lecturer just went over. it's useless. I swear Im only going for attendance. it's not worth 9k a year at all.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by unaManzana)
    im in first year uni and I find that lectures are so pointless. everything is online so what's the point of me sitting in a class, listening to the lecturer talk through the presentation, not being able to take notes because they go through it so fast because it's going to be posted online anyway. then going home and try to teach myself what the lecturer just went over. it's useless. I swear Im only going for attendance. it's not worth 9k a year at all.
    You will have to get used to the pace. I would only write down what is not in the lecture notes. You don't have to attend unless the uni has an attendance policy. If going over it later at your own pace works for you then do that.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, i only go into lectures for the attendance, less than 90% and we have to go into a meeting.

Ive missed 4 late afternoon lectures on the trot recently as i have commitments elsewhere and i am not behind one bit.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    For me, a lecture helps me to understand the topic a lot more than reading about it does. My lecturers make the content more engaging and more understandable for me, and often quite enjoyable. Obviously it depends on the lecturers you have and the course you do! Though if you are learning well on your own, that's a good thing. Maybe just use lectures as a chance to ask specific questions and consolidate your knowledge, if you're able to look through it beforehand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHUGURU)
    For me, a lecture helps me to understand the topic a lot more than reading about it does. My lecturers make the content more engaging and more understandable for me, and often quite enjoyable. Obviously it depends on the lecturers you have and the course you do! Though if you are learning well on your own, that's a good thing. Maybe just use lectures as a chance to ask specific questions and consolidate your knowledge, if you're able to look through it beforehand.
    I never really thought about it that way. I'll give it a go! thanks!

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.