Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, I have applied for psychology and received all 5 offers...I haven't taken psychology A level but I find it really interesting so I applied for it. The thing is, for as long as I can remember I have wanted to study vet med but I was put off because 1) I'm really not good with people! 2) the interview process and 3) the work experience requirements (I couldn't find much, no matter how hard I tried). When I applied for psychology I was sure I would enjoy it but now I'm not so sure. I could go through with psychology and pray that I will enjoy it and find a job I will like, or I could take a gap year and apply for vet med next year... but again I'm not sure I could go through the interview process or get the relevant work experience! I was just wondering if anyone has been in my position and could offer any advice? Thank you!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by crowlleybeaans)
    Hey everyone, I have applied for psychology and received all 5 offers...I haven't taken psychology A level but I find it really interesting so I applied for it. The thing is, for as long as I can remember I have wanted to study vet med but I was put off because 1) I'm really not good with people! 2) the interview process and 3) the work experience requirements (I couldn't find much, no matter how hard I tried). When I applied for psychology I was sure I would enjoy it but now I'm not so sure. I could go through with psychology and pray that I will enjoy it and find a job I will like, or I could take a gap year and apply for vet med next year... but again I'm not sure I could go through the interview process or get the relevant work experience! I was just wondering if anyone has been in my position and could offer any advice? Thank you!
    Get the absolute best A levels you can and focus on that.
    See what you feel after the exams and the results. They may not be high enough for Vet, but if they are then take a gap and have a think about what you want to do.

interviews you can practice.

ReputationRep:
    Did you get the GCSEs results that you need for Vet Med and are you doing suitable A levels? You do need to be good with people to be a practising veterinary surgeon for sure, and all but Bristol have interviewed this year, but you have time to work on these attributes while you get the required work experience during a gap year.

ReputationRep:
    I do have the GCSEs and I’m predicted AAA for a level (chemistry, maths, biology) so that’s not an issue. But yeah I suppose I could... thank you for your help!!
    (Original post by animalmagic)
    Did you get the GCSEs results that you need for Vet Med and are you doing suitable A levels? You do need to be good with people to be a practising veterinary surgeon for sure, and all but Bristol have interviewed this year, but you have time to work on these attributes while you get the required work experience during a gap year.

ReputationRep:
    Great, then I would recommend sorting out some veterinary work experience to do between your exams finishing and getting your results, and then you can be better informed as to if vet med is the career for you before you have to decide whether to go and do psychology or take a gap year and apply for vet med instead.

I do have the GCSEs and I’m predicted AAA for a level (chemistry, maths, biology) so that’s not an issue. But yeah I suppose I could... thank you for your help!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 16, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.