Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Help, I'm lost.. Follow my passion or a more realistic degree choice?? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys,

First off, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section, the 'Uni Courses' would only let me pick one course, but as you will read, this is a more 'which course?' kind of question..

I hope I can get some advice on here, as I'm incredibly stuck and not too sure if I want to follow my head or my heart!
    Basically, I finished my A Levels in 2015, and worked and gained some valuable work experience for a few years before I decided I wanted to apply to University.
    I originally applied near the end of my A2 Levels, and I applied for English Literature as it is something I'm good at and something I relatively enjoy.
    When I started getting doubts about university in general, but mainly my course choice (baring in mind, I had wanted to get a English BA since about year 9/10) so I decided to take some time out in order to figure out what I wanted. For the past few years, I have have had my heart set on a course at the University of Birmingham, which is Social Policy and Criminology, or a course around the same kind of subjects (Sociology, Law, Criminology, etc.) and I thought out what job I would love to do, and ways in which I could progress my career, but I still can't get the fact I want to study Literature, like really bad..
    Now I'm older, I feel like just having a passion for something isn't enough to study it, as I really have been thinking a lot about career progression with the degree I'm doing, and the only thing I can think about with English is Teaching (because I don't want a graduate job in something completely unrelated, I would want to work a job which could use the core modules and the things I have learned,as I would be doing a degree in something I do enjoy, make sense? idk..) The only thing with teaching is, I don't like children and can't even imagine children in my own personal life, let alone working with children all the time.. I think the fact I don't like children, is a bit of a deal breaker, as teaching is mainly children for 42 weeks of the year, and then you have to take into account that all the holidays I would be taking, would be full of children because it's the time children aren't at school..
    I love Criminology, Sociology. Politics, etc.. and I do kind of know what career path I would like to take with this, but I am not as passionate about it than English Literature.
    Can anyone advise jobs I could do with Literature, which keeps English at its core?
    Or can anyone give me any personal stories about their decisions and/or English degree?

I would really appreciate it!

ReputationRep:
    Channel your passion to a realistic degree choice. That might sound ambiguous, but if you pick something you have no passion for, you are likely to carry the weight of regret for the rest of your life. Passion for what you do in life will keep you going through nearly all the challenges you will encounter

ReputationRep:
    Here is a good website you can look at for jobs to do with english (if you have not seen it already.) https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-...degree/english

I would honestly say go with your first instinct as I have made bad switches and learnt that your first instinct tends to be right!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quickmagma)
    Here is a good website you can look at for jobs to do with english (if you have not seen it already.) https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-...degree/english

I would honestly say go with your first instinct as I have made bad switches and learnt that your first instinct tends to be right!
    Ah! Thank you! The Prospects site really helped me out! I do feel like doing something you're passionate about is the best way to go, as I feel I would maybe lose interest in a course if I didn't connect with it all that well, and with a degree being a three year commitment and also really expensive, I feel like English Literature is the safe option.

Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maven Writers)
    Channel your passion to a realistic degree choice. That might sound ambiguous, but if you pick something you have no passion for, you are likely to carry the weight of regret for the rest of your life. Passion for what you do in life will keep you going through nearly all the challenges you will encounter
    Thanks for your reply

You're right, it is a little ambiguous but I think I know where you're coming from. I feel like doing a degree I'm passionate about will make me want to stick it out for the three years because I enjoy it.
    I'm just worried about my career choices, I know it isn't always about career but I'm almost 22 and I don't feel the way I did when I was 18 and able to do something just because I enjoy it, because I have matured and I feel like it's drilled in from a young age that a good career is key to a happy life..

Again, thanks for your advice
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by bxthrxann)
    I'm almost 22 and I don't feel the way I did when I was 18 and able to do something just because I enjoy it, because I have matured and I feel like it's drilled in from a young age that a good career is key to a happy life..
    Hi, I've moved your thread to the Mature Students forum

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys,

First off, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section, the 'Uni Courses' would only let me pick one course, but as you will read, this is a more 'which course?' kind of question..

I hope I can get some advice on here, as I'm incredibly stuck and not too sure if I want to follow my head or my heart!
    Basically, I finished my A Levels in 2015, and worked and gained some valuable work experience for a few years before I decided I wanted to apply to University.
    I originally applied near the end of my A2 Levels, and I applied for English Literature as it is something I'm good at and something I relatively enjoy.
    When I started getting doubts about university in general, but mainly my course choice (baring in mind, I had wanted to get a English BA since about year 9/10) so I decided to take some time out in order to figure out what I wanted. For the past few years, I have have had my heart set on a course at the University of Birmingham, which is Social Policy and Criminology, or a course around the same kind of subjects (Sociology, Law, Criminology, etc.) and I thought out what job I would love to do, and ways in which I could progress my career, but I still can't get the fact I want to study Literature, like really bad..
    Now I'm older, I feel like just having a passion for something isn't enough to study it, as I really have been thinking a lot about career progression with the degree I'm doing, and the only thing I can think about with English is Teaching (because I don't want a graduate job in something completely unrelated, I would want to work a job which could use the core modules and the things I have learned,as I would be doing a degree in something I do enjoy, make sense? idk..) The only thing with teaching is, I don't like children and can't even imagine children in my own personal life, let alone working with children all the time.. I think the fact I don't like children, is a bit of a deal breaker, as teaching is mainly children for 42 weeks of the year, and then you have to take into account that all the holidays I would be taking, would be full of children because it's the time children aren't at school..
    I love Criminology, Sociology. Politics, etc.. and I do kind of know what career path I would like to take with this, but I am not as passionate about it than English Literature.
    Can anyone advise jobs I could do with Literature, which keeps English at its core?
    Or can anyone give me any personal stories about their decisions and/or English degree?

I would really appreciate it!
    What sort of work have you been doing? If you checked out career options with social policy/ criminology degrees? They dont look particularly employable to me - no more so than English.

Why not look at areas like HR? You could get some experience while at university.

ReputationRep:
    I think what your interests are quite broad(which is good) and you might want to try and focus on specific careers rather than course content.

I think one of the hardest questions a prospective mature student has to answer is what the hell are you going to do? I think most of us can reel of a list of things that we do not want to do, but thinking about the future is sometimes more difficult.

I have linked this site loads and personally I have found it to be really useful - https://www.sokanu.com/. It is a career test that will list your best options based on your answers to the questions it gives you. It takes about 30 minutes, but it is really interesting.

The list will rank your best fit careers out of 800. When you have your list, look at the top 20 or so and try to filter them down about in your head by looking at what the job prospects are and what the salary is, or what other personal requirements you have.

You might find that some careers in your list are things that your have never even thought. As it is a personality/interest/career match, they might not be directly related to your interests mentioned in your original post, but maybe worth considering regardless.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I hear your passion with regards to Literature. In my experience, it is not necessary to see the end destination, just to know you are taking the first step that you are fully aligned with. Do what you love, and the rest with follow.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper

For the past few years, I have have had my heart set on a course at the University of Birmingham, which is Social Policy and Criminology, or a course around the same kind of subjects (Sociology, Law, Criminology, etc.) and I thought out what job I would love to do, and ways in which I could progress my career, but I still can't get the fact I want to study Literature, like really bad..
    Now I'm older, I feel like just having a passion for something isn't enough to study it...

I think you are mis-appreciating the relationship between a degree and a career based on that degree. Apart from highly vocational degrees like veterinary medicine or medicine your degree equips you with a set of skills, and the actual subject through which those skills are delivered/demonstrated is a matter of personal choice. In other words, for many graduate roles it doesn't matter whether your degree is in English, History, a language, whatever, it will deliver the skills.

Unless you want to be a sociologist, then taking Sociology will afford you not greater future career benefit than English. Indeed, some will view English as a more academic subject and with broader relevance.

English lends itself to all sorts of careers other than teaching - journalism, marketing, development work, anything with a large element of communication.

You need to focus your research on careers with an English degree, you will find many more openings that with Sociology or Criminology, and abou the same with Politics.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply

You're right, it is a little ambiguous but I think I know where you're coming from. I feel like doing a degree I'm passionate about will make me want to stick it out for the three years because I enjoy it.
    I'm just worried about my career choices, I know it isn't always about career but I'm almost 22 and I don't feel the way I did when I was 18 and able to do something just because I enjoy it, because I have matured and I feel like it's drilled in from a young age that a good career is key to a happy life..

Again, thanks for your advice
    If you are considering a career which has a clear vocational pathway to entry - like medicine or nursing, say - then that will largely dictate your degree choice.

Most careers, though, are less prescriptive and might only say they want a good degree in a general area ("a first degree in a social science or related subject" is typical of the kind of thing). In that case, it might be wise to consider how else you could enhance your skills and experience to cover a wide range of possibilities. For instance, whilst doing your Eng Lit degree, you could also plan to volunteer in a probation service scheme, teach basic literacy skills to adult learners, or fundraise for a charity. That might help you to make applications for a range of jobs after graduating.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am 36 and currently studying an access to social sciences course. I have a family and a mortgage and when I decided to quit my job (for many reasons) it definitely was not about money but about how I wanted to live and enjoy my life. I chose to apply for a degree I would enjoy (anything history related) but in Scotland, the unis I have applied to, i have applied for joint honours (history and philosophy) but in the first two years you study 3 subjects and they are flexible with your degree choice. so say I study history, philosophy and English lit (which is what I am actually considering lol) if at the end of year one I decide I don't like philosophy I can request to change my degree to history and English lit or if at end of year o e I still like all 3 I can come time all 3 in year 2 and make a decision then. So you can choose to apply for joint honours for your two choices or pick one to apply for and pick up the other as the extra subject choice (as long as you do well in the extra choice depending on the uni they will let you switch degree choice). for me I don't know what I want to do (although I have already picked the masters I would like to do) but I am sure whilst studying any subject that interests me I will come across many different options and ideas, I might even change subjects and my choice of masters might change. Like others have said unless you have a very particular career in mind (medicine, nursing etc) the degree you choose is open.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ginadallison)
    Hi, I hear your passion with regards to Literature. In my experience, it is not necessary to see the end destination, just to know you are taking the first step that you are fully aligned with. Do what you love, and the rest with follow.

I am 47 and I've only just been brave enough to aim for something that I am passionate about. If I had made my decision at 22, my life would look very different now. But we can only move forward from where we are. Get aligned with your truth and make a decision. You will find making that choice both liberating and invigorating.

I invite you to participate in an exercise and I found helpful in wading through the worries, doubts and fears that were standing in my way….

Imagine you had £10m in the bank and you knew you couldn't fail……
    What would you be doing?
    Where would you be living?
    Who would you be with?
    How would you be contributing to the world?

Take time to nurture this dream and let it grow in your imagination . Imagine that we really can't get it wrong and every perceived mistake or failure the simply a lesson that we need to learn in order to grow.

I think you have an amazing opportunity in front of you, to live any life you choose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R3negade)
    I think what your interests are quite broad(which is good) and you might want to try and focus on specific careers rather than course content.

I think one of the hardest questions a prospective mature student has to answer is what the hell are you going to do? I think most of us can reel of a list of things that we do not want to do, but thinking about the future is sometimes more difficult.

I have linked this site loads and personally I have found it to be really useful - https://www.sokanu.com/. It is a career test that will list your best options based on your answers to the questions it gives you. It takes about 30 minutes, but it is really interesting.

The list will rank your best fit careers out of 800. When you have your list, look at the top 20 or so and try to filter them down about in your head by looking at what the job prospects are and what the salary is, or what other personal requirements you have.

You might find that some careers in your list are things that your have never even thought. As it is a personality/interest/career match, they might not be directly related to your interests mentioned in your original post, but maybe worth considering regardless.
    Hello!
    I just like to take the time to thank you for your reply and the link. I did the test and it came back with occupations such as teaching, proof reading, publishing, etc.
    I feel like it has definitely opened my eyes to not only to potential career paths but also how I could use my own personal skills to pursue a career.

Much appreciated

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.