Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I just tried on my sisters old prom dress, and apparently it looked very nice on me. However, being a softie for prom and everything, I want my own prom dress, though I don't really want my parents to pay.
    As well, my sisters dress is short sleeved (and i am a hijabi) so I would have to wear a cardigan over it which may ruin the whole look. My dress would also be more expensive than the normal dress.
    What do I do? I'd feel guilty not wearing the dress but I really do want my own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I just tried on my sisters old prom dress, and apparently it looked very nice on me. However, being a softie for prom and everything, I want my own prom dress, though I don't really want my parents to pay.
    As well, my sisters dress is short sleeved (and i am a hijabi) so I would have to wear a cardigan over it which may ruin the whole look. My dress would also be more expensive than the normal dress.
    What do I do? I'd feel guilty not wearing the dress but I really do want my own.
    Step 1) sacrifice goat
    Step 2) wear sisters dress with cardigan

(Original post by Ewok94)
    Not the answer you’ll want to hear but I really like when woman make sarafices like this. It shows your human. The other side of the scale is throwing a hissy fit and upsetting yourself and family. If you wear your sisters dress with the cardigan and make no big deal you will have positive karma and admiration coming your way.
    I am sacrificial about everything lmao. This is the one thing I dont want to be sacrificial about

ReputationRep:
    Find a dress that you like that's fairly cheap and you could wear again and get a part time job, save up pocket money or do paper rounds or something. Make it an investment so that you aren't wasting money. Then it'd be the same as buying a normal dress, just prettier.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

(Original post by Angel_Chen)
    Find a dress that you like that's fairly cheap and you could wear again and get a part time job, save up pocket money or do paper rounds or something. Make it an investment so that you aren't wasting money. Then it'd be the same as buying a normal dress, just prettier.
    She wont let me pay for anything

ReputationRep:
    Boycott this US tradition.

ReputationRep:
    Prom is not that deep. And if you’re worried about it being short sleeved as your hijabi, think about how bad the environment is for a muslim.

If you want to go then get another dress. A cardigan wouldnt look nice tbh.

(2)

ReputationRep:
    Get the dress you want! Are your parents willing to pay? Explain the importance to you, of being your own person and feeling more comfortable with long sleeves. It’s worth trying.

You could always get more thrifty if you don’t want your parents spending lots. A lot of charity shops have good quality prom dresses only worn once in their shops(may have to hunt for long sleeves) but I also had a look on boohoo and they had some very pretty long sleeve prom dresses for 30 quid and under. So try dresses on sites such as boohoo, misguided, ASOS etc. They may not be as fancy as a Sherri Hill dress but not everyone wants one like that

ReputationRep:
    Could you find a wrap or shawl to wear with the dress? There are a few different types to pick from.

ReputationRep:
    Would it be an option for you to modify your sister's dress? You could probably try to see some sleeves on? That might not sound appealing/efficient to you though!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.