Turn on thread page Beta

my friend says my uni is for dumb people watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    thanks! i'm feeling so much better now, i know i shouldn't care that much about what others say but somehow it just got to me... i really want to study and work, i am a bit jealous that he gets so much money from his parents to help him with living costs and he doesn't even have to work (just works part time). jealous is a wrong word in this context but i just wish he never said that, i wouldn't even think about this right now, making myself so sad over something so stupid
    Yeah I do understand, I wanna go kcl and will definitely need a job when I'm there. Whenever someone has discouraged me from going to a uni in London, I just step away from the conversation and have a self reflection on what I really want. I think deep down you want to go to birbeck, so you should strive for that. Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    Throw the whole friend away

ReputationRep:
    he just says that to make himself feel better for being too dumb to go to uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erratic_deus)
    Also, your friend should know that UCL isn't ranked that highly in the league tables!
    Really? I thought its a really good uni, and it does occupy the higher ranks in the league tables x
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Also, your friend should know that UCL isn't ranked that highly in the league tables!
    ?

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/news-artic...rsity-rankings
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qasim Abbassi)
    Really? I thought its a really good uni, and it does occupy the higher ranks in the league tables x
    UCL isn't number one and even if it was, he shouldn't have said a certain uni is for "dumber" students based on a temporary ranking.
    There isn't really one method to getting an education and there isn't any place of education where all the students are "dumber".
    A boy from a rural Nigerian village got into MIT, I think his name is Elvis and he is dubbed the next 'Mark Zuckerberg'.
    Nigeria is also ranked quite low on the HDI. It isn't fair for me to generalize and think that all Nigerians are living in poverty/don't have access to clean water/can't read or write when quite many are filthy rich, smart and innovators !

ReputationRep:
    UCL isn't number one and even if it was, he shouldn't have said a certain uni is for "dumber" students based on a temporary ranking.
    There isn't really one method to getting an education and there isn't any place of education where all the students are "dumber".
    A boy from a rural Nigerian village got into MIT, I think his name is Elvis and he is dubbed the next 'Mark Zuckerberg'.
    Nigeria is also ranked quite low on the HDI. It isn't fair for me to generalize and think that all Nigerians are living in poverty/don't have access to clean water/can't read or write when quite many are filthy rich, smart and innovators !
    Oh yes i completely agree that his friend should not have said that at all. But yes UCL isnt number one, yet it is in the top 10's, making it a good uni i guess.
    Oh and thanks for the info of Nigeria, kinda opened up my eyes x
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    There's a difference between denying that something is highly ranked and being number 1. Nobody has claimed UCL is number one.

MIT has nothing to do with this.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qasim Abbassi)
    Oh yes i completely agree that his friend should not have said that at all. But yes UCL isnt number one, yet it is in the top 10's, making it a good uni i guess.
    Oh and thanks for the info of Nigeria, kinda opened up my eyes x
    Any uni is a good uni bro!
    But yeah! The Nigerian guy is cool but trust me, there are more exceptional cases! The world is amazing, lol

(Original post by JohanGRK)
    Birkbeck is possibly the only... less well-established uni in London
    what do you mean less well-established though?

(Original post by ABK99)
    hahah will do!

ReputationRep:
    Elitist trash will be elitist trash, don't let it get to you. There's more to the world than the Russell Group.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ABK99)
    ^ This too, quality advice

(Original post by orderofthelotus)
    Elitist trash will be elitist trash, don't let it get to you. There's more to the world than the Russell Group.
    thank you! i'll be coming back to this thread every time i feel down or if he says something like that again (which i hope he won't because i'm going to take everyone's advice and tell him to hang out with his ucl friends)

ReputationRep:
    Birkbeck is a world-class university, well-known everywhere, with absolutely amazing faculty, and a dream university for left-wing students all across the world.
    UCL is a fine institution, but ask your friend what would he say to you if you were studying in UCL and he was studying in Oxford.
    PS: he's not your friend.

(Original post by bicmark)
    Birkbeck is a world-class university, well-known everywhere, with absolutely amazing faculty, and a dream university for left-wing students all across the world.
    UCL is a fine institution, but ask your friend what would he say to you if you were studying in UCL and he was studying in Oxford.
    PS: he's not your friend.
    Thinking about that I just realised he's always making people feel inferior to him. It doesn't matter what that is - because his commute is 5 minutes shorter and such things. He is always trying to make himself look like he won at life.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'd get a new friend. You don't say that to a friend.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    He is always trying to make himself look like he won at life.
    And that’s the key word here, trying. Successful people don’t feel the need to brag about it 24/7, let alone try bring others down to feel better about themselves.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    My friend says his dad is the president of the USA.
    Friends say stupid things all the time but you just have to deal with it.

ReputationRep:
    Er, yes it does.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univer...and_reputation

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2018
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.