Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by The PoliticalGuy)
    My friend says his dad is the president of the USA.
    Your friend must be one orange looking mothertrucker

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erratic_deus)
    UCL isn't number one and even if it was, he shouldn't have said a certain uni is for "dumber" students based on a temporary ranking.
    There isn't really one method to getting an education and there isn't any place of education where all the students are "dumber".
    A boy from a rural Nigerian village got into MIT, I think his name is Elvis and he is dubbed the next 'Mark Zuckerberg'.
    Nigeria is also ranked quite low on the HDI. It isn't fair for me to generalize and think that all Nigerians are living in poverty/don't have access to clean water/can't read or write when quite many are filthy rich, smart and innovators !
    That isn't how statistics works anyway...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TCA2b)
    That isn't how statistics works anyway...
    Haha! Yes yes, my statement about UCL

wasn't entirely wrong. UCL isn't the best

and even if it was it shouldn't call an entire

student body of another uni dumb due to the fact it

may have an unconventional type of system which attracts

a certain demographic.

Ok

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My friend got into UCL and I chose Birkbeck University of London (simply because it's evening classes and I have to work full time so that I can live in London). He started making fun of me that Birkbeck is for dumb people who can't get anywhere else. I could get anywhere I wanted, I know that, I just know that it would be hard to live in London, work part time and still have enough money to visit family or do anything for fun. I really think Birkbeck is a good uni, after all it's part of University of London? Now I don't know if it was a good choice if I shouldn't have gone somewhere else and just try to balance work/study somehow, I mean others do it why couldn't I?
    First of all, ignore him. Who cares what he thinks? and no Birkbeck is not the worst and its not the best either. Its ranked 116 in the complete university guide. The worst is suffulk university at 128th.

(Original post by cyber1995)
    First of all, ignore him. Who cares what he thinks? and no Birkbeck is not the worst and its not the best either. Its ranked 116 in the complete university guide. The worst is suffulk university at 128th.
    I thought rankings don't matter

ReputationRep:
    I thought rankings don't matter
    They really don't at the end of the day, if you both come out with a 1st or a 2.1. I don't think anyone will pay attentionto your unis ranking. I've always thought that the rankings reflect the students experience of the uni. Like the more opportunities they've had to get ahead in life, the higher the unis rankings

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erratic_deus)
    Haha! Yes yes, my statement about UCL

wasn't entirely wrong. UCL isn't the best

and even if it was it shouldn't call an entire

student body of another uni dumb due to the fact it

may have an unconventional type of system which attracts

a certain demographic.

Ok
    It doesn't need to be the absolute best, it is extremely highly ranked on any scale one wishes to look.

The OP is just an example of a bit of banter, people shouldn't take such things so seriously.

ReputationRep:
    They really don't at the end of the day, if you both come out with a 1st or a 2.1. I don't think anyone will pay attentionto your unis ranking. I've always thought that the rankings reflect the students experience of the uni. Like the more opportunities they've had to get ahead in life, the higher the unis rankings
    Oh but employers certainly do, especially when faced with so many graduates. Just not to the point where its Oxbridge or go home. The rankings tend to focus more on research work but they're improving to reflect more aspects of the undergrad experience.

(Original post by TCA2b)
    Oh but employers certainly do, especially when faced with so many graduates. Just not to the point where its Oxbridge or go home. The rankings tend to focus more on research work but they're improving to reflect more aspects of the undergrad experience.
    Thanks. I know it's true I just... don't really have a choice. So I'll make the most of my time at Birkbeck.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by TCA2b)
    Oh but employers certainly do
    Most employers certainly don't.

And if they did which ranking would they use? There's at least 4 domestic rankings, and they are all different and more importantly differ by subject too. And which year do they use (they change every year)... the year the hiring manager went to university? The year the candidate graduated? The current year? Nope...

Employers are looking for good people to employ, not "good" universities.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    my course is mentioned there haha, thanks for the link definitely made me feel better
    If Economics is your course here's the full table for the top 10.
    UCL is 7th, Birkbeck is 2nd.

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-09-23 at 20.32.30.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  57.9 KB

Median incomes 5 years after graduating.
    Source: LEO https://www.gov.uk/government/statis...-by-university

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Most employers certainly don't.

And if they did which ranking would they use? There's at least 4 domestic rankings, and they are all different and more importantly differ by subject too. And which year do they use (they change every year)... the year the manager went to university? The year the candidate graduated? The current year? Nope...

Employers are looking for good people to employ, not "good" universities.
    True, most don't, but then for most a degree isn't a relevant consideration, at least not in the absence of everyone and their dog having one.

Considering how these firms have entire HR departments capable of filtering candidates on a number of criteria, do you think the presence of multiple rankings will stop them or pose a particular hindrance? Even if they're not fit for their purposes, they can easily rank the universities on a basis of their choosing, or simply focus on those which do include elements relevant to their consideration.

In fact, they probably do this by correlating graduate performance in terms of hires from particular universities with psychometric testing, which is effectively a redacted IQ test. Nevermind alumni networks. Point being, the university's reputation does matter.

The last bit is true, but how do they determine that before making the hire? One factor they look at is the degree, the subject and where it was taken. Why? Because they will be investing considerable sums in training someone who will be a net liability for years to come and in some cases, difficult to fire if they make the wrong decision.

ReputationRep:
    I really think Birkbeck is a good uni, after all it's part of University of London?
    While said "friend" is unequivocally a moron, I sincerely hope this half-baked kernel of conjecture wasn't the sum total of your market research.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TCA2b)
    What is your evidence for this. With a few notable exceptions this isn't backed up by evidence, or employer policies. Its a dangerous myth.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by TCA2b)
    True, most don't, but then for most a degree isn't a relevant consideration, at least not in the absence of everyone and their dog having one.

Considering how these firms have entire HR departments capable of filtering candidates on a number of criteria, do you think the presence of multiple rankings will stop them or pose a particular hindrance? Even if they're not fit for their purposes, they can easily rank the universities on a basis of their choosing, or simply focus on those which do include elements relevant to their consideration.

In fact, they probably do this by correlating graduate performance in terms of hires from particular universities with psychometric testing, which is effectively a redacted IQ test. Nevermind alumni networks. Point being, the university's reputation does matter.

The last bit is true, but how do they determine that before making the hire? One factor they look at is the degree, the subject and where it was taken. Why? Because they will be investing considerable sums in training someone who will be a net liability for years to come and in some cases, difficult to fire if they make the wrong decision.
    Nope
    Name:  Exhibit 7.5 - factors for grads-compressed.png.jpeg
Views: 49
Size:  33.9 KB

Source: The CBI
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Nope
    Name:  Exhibit 7.5 - factors for grads-compressed.png.jpeg
Views: 49
Size:  33.9 KB

Source: The CBI
    And this is what, exactly? An infographic stating what hiring managers surveyed claim they rank most highly? It'd be far more interesting to see which universities they tend to draw their graduates from, where the degree is a relevant consideration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajj2000)
    What is your evidence for this. With a few notable exceptions this isn't backed up by evidence, or employer policies. Its a dangerous myth.
    Ok, what's the "evidence" that it isn't "backed up by", that leads to the conclusion that it's a "dangerous myth"? I'll need a bit more than an infographic intended to convince the gullible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TCA2b)
    And this is what, exactly? An infographic stating what hiring managers surveyed claim they rank most highly? It'd be far more interesting to see which universities they tend to draw their graduates from, where the degree is a relevant consideration.
    True - but you have to account for 'A' level results, parental help, area of the country the graduate lives and social capital. You also need to consider the background of the students on entering the course (highly mobile 21 year olds do better than those with family commitments.

The Economist had some data they presented which showed some of these adjustments - I wish someone would present fuller data.

ReputationRep:
    Your friend is the definition of nerd brattiness at its finest, he must have a sad life
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by TCA2b)
    It's not an infographic. It's a chart from iirc a 100 page report annually produced by the CBI. The Confederation of British Industry.

Edit to add: "Conduct of the survey

The survey was conducted online during the period February to April 2017. Useable responses were received from 344 employers. Participant organisations were drawn from all sectors of the economy and range from very small firms to businesses with workforces in excess of 5,000 people.

The survey was completed by a senior executive in each organisation. In small and medium- sized companies, this was typically the managing director, chief executive or chairman. In larger firms, it was usually the human resources director or equivalent."

And I can do you a chart of Cambridge masters applicant offer rates by prior undergrad university if you like. Basically all UK universities are fair game.

Universities look for good masters candidates. And employees look for good employees.

The prior university is not a major factor for most employers for most roles. And as per my above earnings chart Birkbeck sits very nicely anyway for a competitive career like Economics.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2018
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.