Turn on thread page Beta

my friend says my uni is for dumb people watch

Update: I'm applying to QMUL, too. See how I feel if/when I get an offer.

ReputationRep:
    Having the will to go to pretty much any university should be appreciated (not that other options aren’t good but it takes a lot of dedication) so it doesn’t really matter
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Is this just uni banter or is he/she being dead serious? If the latter, they are no longer your friend.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Ignore your friend's comments, he sounds stupid and silly.

People who are very clever sometimes don't go to good, higher ranked universities.

(Original post by Analyst89)
    Ignore your friend's comments, he sounds stupid and silly.

People who are very clever sometimes don't go to good, higher ranked universities.
    that doesn't help, it basically means that Birkbeck is bad. I thought it's good at first, for someone who works but now I'm just doubting everything....

ReputationRep:
    Birbeck is a great university!

(Original post by Harriso1)
    Birbeck is a great university!
    Where do you study/going to study? And what makes you say so? I'm not doing this to say it's not now, because after all it's great to study and work hard at uni no matter where, but I just need some reassurance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Where do you study/going to study? And what makes you say so? I'm not doing this to say it's not now, because after all it's great to study and work hard at uni no matter where, but I just need some reassurance
    Just google it fam, like seriously

ReputationRep:
    My friend got into UCL and I chose Birkbeck University of London (simply because it's evening classes and I have to work full time so that I can live in London). He started making fun of me that Birkbeck is for dumb people who can't get anywhere else. I could get anywhere I wanted, I know that, I just know that it would be hard to live in London, work part time and still have enough money to visit family or do anything for fun. I really think Birkbeck is a good uni, after all it's part of University of London? Now I don't know if it was a good choice if I shouldn't have gone somewhere else and just try to balance work/study somehow, I mean others do it why couldn't I?
    Your friend isn't your friend if he says something like that.

Just google it fam, like seriously
    I know lol, after all before applying and choosing it over any other uni I did my research but the course and that it's an evening school won. still got an uneasy feeling that it's a bad choice

You're friend sounds like an ass!

ReputationRep:
    I know lol, after all before applying and choosing it over any other uni I did my research but the course and that it's an evening school won. still got an uneasy feeling that it's a bad choice
    Your friends being a **** mate, don't concern yourself

Your friends being a **** mate, don't concern yourself
    that i know but what was said cannot be unsaid. i felt like, well i got in, it's all over now, it's just one year (postgrad) but now idk. thanks anyway

ReputationRep:
    that i know but what was said cannot be unsaid. i felt like, well i got in, it's all over now, it's just one year (postgrad) but now idk. thanks anyway
    Look at other options if you very concerned but it'll most likely pass.

Look at other options if you very concerned but it'll most likely pass.
    oh i hope so! been looking at other options but there's always something i don't like about the course, uni itself etc. well anyway, i hope it'll pass
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    As has been said many times, it's an excellent choice especially for you where you can keep a job and study at the same time. Future employers are not in the slightest concerned by Birkbeck on a CV, if anything it's a plus.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Doonesbury)
    As has been said many times, it's an excellent choice especially for you where you can keep a job and study at the same time. Future employers are not in the slightest concerned by Birkbeck on a CV, if anything it's a plus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    thank you, you the best man

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ok I have a little question, I'm so sorry to be a bother but I'm an international student and I got loads of question and you seem like a go to guy. So it's about experience. I won't be doing any kind of career doing my study there, I'll be working at my friends restaurant to meet ends but I was wondering, if I want to get experience there are internships/apprenticeship that I can apply to, right? Is that what you mean by good CV? Because obviously no one will be excited to hire someone like me - international undergraduate with MSc from Birkbeck and the only experience is fast food and bars. So that means that in the mean time I should work part time and do internships and such?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Ok I have a little question, I'm so sorry to be a bother but I'm an international student and I got loads of question and you seem like a go to guy. So it's about experience. I won't be doing any kind of career doing my study there, I'll be working at my friends restaurant to meet ends but I was wondering, if I want to get experience there are internships/apprenticeship that I can apply to, right? Is that what you mean by good CV? Because obviously no one will be excited to hire someone like me - international undergraduate with MSc from Birkbeck and the only experience is fast food and bars. So that means that in the mean time I should work part time and do internships and such?
    Most people do internships before or after a masters not during it.

Apprenticeships aren't appropriate - they are full-time jobs generally for people without a degree.

It might be worth contacting Birkbeck's careers team and asking what they advise. They might not be able to do much until you enroll but it's worth trying...
    http://www.bbk.ac.uk/student-services/careers-service/

Hold on, if you are international are you travelling on a student visa?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most people do internships before or after a masters not during it.

Apprenticeships aren't appropriate - they are full-time jobs generally for people without a degree.

It might be worth contacting Birkbeck's careers team and asking what they advise. They might not be able to do much until you enroll but it's worth trying...
    http://www.bbk.ac.uk/student-services/careers-service/

Hold on, if you are international are you travelling on a student visa?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I meant international as an EU national, sorry for the confusion. I already checked Birkbeck's careers info and I'll definitely ask around a bit and try to get as much from my year there as possible.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2018
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.