Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey Everyone,

I am starting my OU studies in October. I will be studying an Arts & Humanities degree specializing in English Literature. I am interested in chatting with current OU students. It would be great to hear about your experiences in studying with the OU.

How far are you in your degree? 2nd-year modules?

Have you enjoyed studying with the OU so far?

Looking forward to reading your response,

A.M

ReputationRep:
    I am studying lit but I am just a first year. I must say, I am very impressed with the OU.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I'm curious, why Arts and Humanities and not English Literature?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm considering applying to the OU and doing English Language and English Literature, or an Open Degree combining English and French. We can't apply for the course or student finance until April though right? Anyway, I'm following this thread with interest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    I'm curious, why Arts and Humanities and not English Literature?
    From the information on the OU site, it seems like Arts and Humanities will allow me to have more freedom in studying modules. The wider choice comes in Year 2 and Year 3.

Both degree courses are very similar in modules, Arts and Humanities just offer more choices in modules.

Thanks for asking,

A.M
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by AlonsoMarch)
    From the information on the OU site, it seems like Arts and Humanities will allow me to have more freedom in studying modules. The wider choice comes in Year 2 and Year 3.

Both degree courses are very similar in modules, Arts and Humanities just offer more choices in modules.

Thanks for asking,

A.M
    Well yes, but if you want to study English Lit, having the option to take Latin or music modules (for example) isn't that useful, is it?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, Totally. I suppose it depends on the person studying the degree to determine what would be most useful for them and their career goals. I won't be taking language modules. In the second year, I plan to take on a history module and in 3rd year, I will study Greek Mythology.

ReputationRep:
    Are these degrees really worth it? BBC recently had an article on the degrees that are the most useless in the job market. Basically your cutting your arms off doing a degree like this.

Go for science or engineering, you learn skills that are actually useful and they are interesting. Your best of swapping and starting again. You will have a better life. Harsh but true.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-41693230

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, remember: Money is everything, and the only purpose for education is employability. You won't enjoy doing what you enjoy doing for a living, only making more money than others in your gated community.

Please feel free to contact a member of the Life Choices police for further assistance.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.