The Student Room Group

How do I know if it's a real uni or polytechnic?

Hello I'm currently researching on uni courses for next year and I'm finding myself quite confused...and all the wesites and info booklets that are supposed to be helping me are just making it worse!!

The thing is all these institutes are putting University in the title making them seem really genuine and suddenly I just found out that they aren't real universities at all.

Sorry if I sound really stupid but how am I supposed to tell whether they are real Unis or polytechnics or old-polytechnics-turned-uni?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
prittstick
Hello I'm currently researching on uni courses for next year and I'm finding myself quite confused...and all the wesites and info booklets that are supposed to be helping me are just making it worse!!

The thing is all these institutes are putting University in the title making them seem really genuine and suddenly I just found out that they aren't real universities at all.

Sorry if I sound really stupid but how am I supposed to tell whether they are real Unis or polytechnics or old-polytechnics-turned-uni?

The date they were granted Royal Charter (made into uni's :wink: ).

Pre 1990ish = University

Post 1990ish = Former Polytechnic University

:smile:
Reply 2
prittstick

If they are good universities for the subject you are going to be studying....does it really matter? For example, some 'old-polytechnics-turned-uni' establishments excel at subjects where redbrick's don't.

But as a guide, I think ex-polytechnics are those that weren't granted the royal charter til after 1960.
Reply 3
Leekey
The date they were granted Royal Charter (made into uni's :wink: ).

Pre 1990ish = University

Post 1990ish = Former Polytechnic University

:smile:

Where do you find this information.
Reply 4
who_me
If they are good universities for the subject you are going to be studying....does it really matter? For example, some 'old-polytechnics-turned-uni' establishments excel at subjects where redbrick's don't.

But as a guide, I think ex-polytechnics are those that weren't granted the royal charter til after 1960.

Would that rule not mean UEA, Loughborough, York and Warwick would be ex-polys?!? :confused:
Reply 5
Leekey
Would that rule not mean UEA, Loughborough, York and Warwick would be ex-polys?!? :confused:

I don't know how accurate the info I provided was...I think I read it somewhere....sorry if it was wrong. :confused:
Reply 6
randdom
Where do you find this information.

Usually through research but I'm feeling kind so I did some for you...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_universities :smile:
Reply 7
who_me
I don't know how accurate the info I provided was...I think I read it somewhere....sorry if it was wrong. :confused:

Ex-polys were turned into unis in 1992 :smile:
Reply 8
Thank you everyone that is very helpful!

who_me

That's what I thought at first but everyone is telling me that employers prefer it when you have a qualification from a proper University.
Reply 9
prittstick

That's what I thought at first but everyone is telling me that employers prefer it when you have a qualification from a proper University.

Well, it depends which university you are talking about.....and the course you are planning on studying.
Reply 10
prittstick

There will always be someone who will look down on your degree, either because of what you study or where you study.

Decide what subject you want to do, or at least a range of subjects that interest you, and then ask people on here, as well as people in the area you want to work if possible about the subject and places to study.

Some places can have a fantastic reputation for a particular subject but be really bad at another subject.

Finally it is your degree, and your life. Before you go to uni have a look at where ou intend to go and think "can I live here for 3 or 4 years?" Also the subject you study, are you really interetec in it, can you imagine studying nothing else foe 3 or 4 years?

Finally think about your future career. It is possible to get a degree in Medicine from Cambridge (without getting into arguments about mickey mouse subjects and Unis, I'm hoping no one is going to claim either medicine or Cambridge are MM) but if you don't want to be a doctor it's not much use for anything else. Some degrees (e.g.medicine) are really specific others will lead to a broader range of careers. In the end you are only going to spend a few years studying for a degree and it is what you want to do afterwards that is important.
prittstick

I know...! It's so annoying because to be honest, some of the ex-poly's look a hell of a lot better than so-called proper universities. I was really looking forward to going to Loughborough, but because it's an ex-poly my mom refuses to pay to send me there.
Reply 12
justcallmefoxxy
I know...! It's so annoying because to be honest, some of the ex-poly's look a hell of a lot better than so-called proper universities. I was really looking forward to going to Loughborough, but because it's an ex-poly my mom refuses to pay to send me there.

Er ............... I don't think it is
Reply 13
justcallmefoxxy

Loughborough is an excellent university with a fantastic reputation in nearly all of its subject areas...unless you're comparing it to Oxbridge, there is really no reason why you shouldn't go.
sashh
Er ............... I don't think it is

Well someone told me it was... isn't it?
who_me
Loughborough is an excellent university with a fantastic reputation in nearly all of its subject areas...unless you're comparing it to Oxbridge, there is really no reason why you shouldn't go.

Well it was between Loughborough and King's College and I wanted Loughborough because I don't like the idea of me living on the bare minimum in London. It seems I'll have to though... poopy.
prittstick

I can't believe that there are people who still think this way!

Ex-polys ARE genuine universities. Anyone who tells you that Oxford Brookes or Abertay are not proper universities is an ill-informed snob. Look at the subject you want, the general campus environment you are after and then choose a course regardless of the previous status of the institution.
justcallmefoxxy
Well someone told me it was... isn't it?

They were wrong, whoever it was -- Loughborough is a 1960s university.
Reply 18
justcallmefoxxy

there is no such thing as a polytechnic now, they'er all universities. Just because they're not as old doesn't mean they'er not as good...loughborough is an excellent and very well respected university. get your mum the prospectus and do some reading, show her some league tables. Don't settle for somewhere you don't want to go because this is 3 important years of your life! although you do get more loan if you go to london so it is possible to live :wink:
Reply 19

Origins

The University traces its history back to 1909, with the founding of the Loughborough Technical Institute. In the early years, efforts were made to mimic the environment of an Oxbridge college (e.g. requiring students to wear gowns to lectures) whilst maintaining a strong practical counterbalance to academic learning. During World War I, the Institute served as an "Instructional Factory", training of workers for the munitions industry.
[edit]

The Loughborough Colleges

Following the war, the Institute fragmented into four separate colleges:

* Loughborough Training College (Teacher Training)
* Loughborough College of Art (Art and Design)
* Loughborough College of Further Education (Technical and Vocational)
* Loughborough College of Technology (Technology and Science)

The latter was to become the nucleus of the present university. Its rapid expansion from a small provincial college to a world famous seat of learning was due largely to the efforts of its dynamic principal Dr. Herbert Schofield (1882-1963).
[edit]

The Influence of Herbert Schofield

Schofield became principal in 1915 and continued to lead the College of Technology until 1950. Over his years as principal, the college changed almost beyond recognition. He purchased the estate of Burleigh Manor on the western outskirts of the town, which became the nucleus of the present 200 acre campus. He also oversaw the building of the beautiful Hazelrig and Rutland halls of residence. The strong sporting tradition all developed under Schofield's influence.
[edit]

From College to University

In 1963, the Robbins Report on higher education recommended that all Colleges of Advanced Technology should be given the status of universities. Consequently, in 1966 Loughborough College of Technology was granted the Royal Charter and became Loughborough University of Technology. It gradually remodelled itself in the image of the New Universities of the period, which had also been created under Robbins.
[edit]

Later History

In 1977, Loughborough Training College (now renamed Loughborough College of Education) was absorbed into the University. The Arts College was also amalgamated with the University in 1998. These additions have diluted technological flavour of the institution, causing it to resemble more a traditional university with its mix of humanities, arts and sciences. Consequently in 1996, the University dropped the "of Technology" from its title, becoming "Loughborough University", a step much applauded by its non-technological members.

Got its Royal Charter in 1966.

Latest

Trending

Trending