Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So i've recieved all my offers back and once i speak to my form tutor next monday im going to choose DMU as my uncondtional firm choice. From the things ive heard, read and seen on youtube im sure its the uni i wanna go to. Now im just thinking do i need to go the applicant day they've invited me to this saturday. I live in london and im not really prepared to go leicester by myself for a day. Ever since college me and my friends have drifted apart and i cant think of anyone to bring with me. I cba with money too, anyone who went to uni without ever visiting one before?

ReputationRep:
    (i've never been to an open day before too)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by lost yute)
    So i've recieved all my offers back and once i speak to my form tutor next monday im going to choose DMU as my uncondtional firm choice. From the things ive heard, read and seen on youtube im sure its the uni i wanna go to. Now im just thinking do i need to go the applicant day they've invited me to this saturday. I live in london and im not really prepared to go leicester by myself for a day. Ever since college me and my friends have drifted apart and i cant think of anyone to bring with me. I cba with money too, anyone who went to uni without ever visiting one before?
    I've not heard of compulsory applicant days. They're generally an opportunity for you to ask lecturers/students questions about your course/uni in general in order to persuade you to ultimately firm them.

You can go to applicant/open days alone. That's what I did.

Some universities might reimburse your travel costs to and from the applicant day. Worth asking DMU about this if you're worried about money.

ReputationRep:
    You do't really need to go to an applicant day but it's a good idea before you choose your firm.

ReputationRep:
    I went to applicant days alone, and most open days alone. At applicant days, I would say at least 50% of the people were generally there alone. If you want to study in Leicester, then you're going to have to get used to making that journey anyway.

That said, they're not compulsory (unless they're combined with an interview, I guess). I do know one person who went to Cambridge without ever visiting it, but I wouldn't have wanted to do that personally.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely worth going before you make a decision. If you can't handle an applicant day on your own how are you going to cope at uni? It's a good idea to get a feel for the uni and city in real life and also meet other applicants (many of which will also be on their own). Takes the pressure off freshers as well if you've already had a taste of the uni. If you really don't want to go then can't force you but I would recommend it. There were unis I was sure I would like from what I saw online and then when I visited them in real life it changed my mind and I noticed things I wasn't keen on. Good to see accommodation as well if you can.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.