Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    Yes since a gun serves no other purpose than killing/damage.
    So me stabbing you to death is better than me shooting and killing you? Why does the tool matter?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    So me stabbing you to death is better than me shooting and killing you? Why does the tool matter?
    No stabbing you to death might be better than shooting you. But that's you, and it's therefore which is better for you not me. Knives have a purpose other than destruction. Guns do not.

ReputationRep:
    No stabbing you to death might be better than shooting you. But that's you, and it's therefore which is better for you not me. Knives have a purpose other than destruction. Guns do not.
    Surely the problem is murder not the tool and rather than restricting guns (which the homicide rate showed didn’t work) we should be working to stopping murder rather than stopping people owning something which has no impact on what you want to stop which is murder?

ReputationRep:
    Mr Speaker

There's evidence and statistics showing that banning guns have no effect on crime and I would like to own a gun. Aye
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Surely the problem is murder not the tool and rather than restricting guns (which the homicide rate showed didn’t work) we should be working to stopping murder rather than stopping people owning something which has no impact on what you want to stop which is murder?
    People will always find a way to murder others if they have that mindset. I never said the problem wasn't murder. My point is guns serve no purpose other than destruction. For that reason, I see no reason to legalise them.

ReputationRep:
    People will always find a way to murder others if they have that mindset. I never said the problem wasn't murder. My point is guns serve no purpose other than destruction. For that reason, I see no reason to legalise them.
    Will passing this cause more “destruction” yes or no? If yes why and evidence?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I can think of a very good reason, you're supposed to be a liberal and all the evidence points to no negative effects, you're banning for the sake of banning which is inherently illiberal.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Will passing this cause more “destruction” yes or no? If yes why and evidence?
    That's not a yes or no question. It's not something that's easy to predict, and logically if you make weapons whose only purpose is destruction more freely available, more destruction may follow. Not definite, because I'm not qualified or stupid enough to make the prediction. But the logic would suggest that.

(Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I can think of a very good reason, you're supposed to be a liberal and all the evidence points to no negative effects, you're banning for the sake of banning which is inherently illiberal.
    "You're supposed to be a liberal" is an argument you've used many times on me, and once again I'll remind you that just because I'm a member of the Liberal Party does not mean I am obliged to follow what you or anyone else defines as Liberalism.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by mr T 999)
    Mr Speaker

There's evidence and statistics showing that banning guns have no effect on crime and I would like to own a gun. Aye
    Can I ask why you'd want a gun?

ReputationRep:
    I cannot and will not support this bill. Because culturally we are not like Austria or Switzerland, I don't trust the masses with guns. Secondly, access to guns will give people more reason to fire them. It's a stupid, backwards, utterly bearing on moronic idea that bringing in guns is a good plan.

ReputationRep:
    That's not a yes or no question. It's not something that's easy to predict, and logically if you make weapons whose only purpose is destruction more freely available, more destruction may follow. Not definite, because I'm not qualified or stupid enough to make the prediction. But the logic would suggest that.

"You're supposed to be a liberal" is an argument you've used many times on me, and once again I'll remind you that just because I'm a member of the Liberal Party does not mean I am obliged to follow what you or anyone else defines as Liberalism.
    You say logically it will lead to more destruction yet the evidence suggests otherwise care to explain why?

(Original post by LifeIsFine)
    Can I ask why you'd want a gun?
    I like guns I plan on joining a shooting club and shoot clay pigeons. So it will be nice to own guns, I might even start my own gun collection if they were legal.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    You say logically it will lead to more destruction yet the evidence suggests otherwise care to explain why?
    No because I'm not qualified enough, nor read up enough on the issue to do so. Logically it should, that doesn't mean it will. Are you denying the logic?

ReputationRep:
    No because I'm not qualified enough, nor read up enough on the issue to do so. Logically it should, that doesn't mean it will. Are you denying the logic?
    Are you denying the evidence suggesting it won't lead to more destruction?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Are you denying the evidence suggesting it won't lead to more destruction?
    I asked first.

ReputationRep:
    Mr Speaker,

There is absolutely no need for private citizens to be owning handguns. I will not be supporting this bill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unown Uzer)
    Mr Speaker,

There is absolutely no need for private citizens to be owning handguns. I will not be supporting this bill.
    I see you have returned UU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatusStarbright)
    I see you have returned UU.
    It's great to see you again!
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Unown Uzer)
    Mr Speaker,

Hi UU,
    How’s the army of dupes doing?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    When guns come up in libertarian circles, it is at that point when they become self-satirizing of their own movement. Having the freedom to mutilate and murder people is not a power people should want nor need. How can this possibly be a positive movement for anyone in the country? Do you ever sit in your room twiddling your thumbs thinking of all the freedoms you want back from the government and think to yourself "****, I really wish I had a GUN right now"?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jarred)
    When guns come up in libertarian circles, it is at that point when they become self-satirizing of their own movement. Having the freedom to mutilate and murder people is not a power people should want nor need. How can this possibly be a positive movement for anyone in the country? Do you ever sit in your room twiddling your thumbs thinking of all the freedoms you want back from the government and think to yourself "****, I really wish I had a GUN right now"?
    That is your perspective of what guns are for; I believe that self-defence is exceptionally important and would feel a lot more comfortable if I had a gun in my house or those who's job is to protect other people had an effective means of defence on them. Equally, knives serve a purpose of destruction and can be used for murder (in fact, crime rates show they have fully replaced the role of guns). It is a positive movement for the country because homicide rates are proven to not be effected by the legality of firearms, and - despite the differences between liberals and libertarians - both should not lean on the side of criminalisation when the statistics are not in favour of it. In spite of your taunting, I believe you are the one that is being ridiculous and basing an argument on what the state should do purely because you don't like something all that much.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 2, 2018
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.