Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm in the process of applying for student finance but I'm having some trouble. This is my situation:

I've been living with my grandparents for the past 18 months now, so they are my legal guardians. My relationship with my parents is fine - I just felt unhappy at home so I decided to come live with my grandparents. My mum and dad are separated; mum living in Northern Ireland and dad living in England. I would have lived with my dad but he wasn't financially able to support me.

Even though my grandparents are my legal guardians at this present time, I don't believe there is any legal evidence to support this. Would a letter from my grandmother be sufficient to prove that she is my legal guardian? Would I also need a letter from my mother, who was my previous guardian, to say that my grandmother is now my legal guardian?

Thank you.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Sheppiro)
    Hi,

I'm in the process of applying for student finance but I'm having some trouble. This is my situation:

I've been living with my grandparents for the past 18 months now, so they are my legal guardians. My relationship with my parents is fine - I just felt unhappy at home so I decided to come live with my grandparents. My mum and dad are separated; mum living in Northern Ireland and dad living in England. I would have lived with my dad but he wasn't financially able to support me.

Even though my grandparents are my legal guardians at this present time, I don't believe there is any legal evidence to support this. Would a letter from my grandmother be sufficient to prove that she is my legal guardian? Would I also need a letter from my mother, who was my previous guardian, to say that my grandmother is now my legal guardian?

Thank you.

Hi Sheppiro,

To be classed as independent under those circumstances, you'd need to either be estranged from your parents (with no contact) or the subject of a care order. Unfortunately, we'd require more evidence, such as legal documents confirming a court order to say your grandparents are your legal guardians or a letter from a third party in a good standing in the community, for example, a police officer or a doctor, that explains your situation and that you have not contact with your parents.

Based on the information you've given, it's unlikely you'd be classed as an independent student.

However, if your parents are separated and don't live with any partners now, you could have the finance based on 1 parents income.

Kind regards,

John.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John B SFE)
    Hi Sheppiro,

To be classed as independent under those circumstances, you'd need to either be estranged from your parents (with no contact) or the subject of a care order. Unfortunately, we'd require more evidence, such as legal documents confirming a court order to say your grandparents are your legal guardians or a letter from a third party in a good standing in the community, for example, a police officer or a doctor, that explains your situation and that you have not contact with your parents.

Based on the information you've given, it's unlikely you'd be classed as an independent student.

However, if your parents are separated and don't live with any partners now, you could have the finance based on 1 parents income.

Kind regards,

John.
    Do you have to be classes as independent to achieve a higher maintenance loan?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Sheppiro)
    Do you have to be classes as independent to achieve a higher maintenance loan?
    Hi Sheppiro,

Not necessarily no. The higher maintenance loan is based on the household income.

-If the household income is below £25,000, you will receive the maximum maintenance loan available.

-If the household income is between £25,000 and £62,215, you will receive a maintenance loan between £4054 and £8700.

-If the household income is £62,215+, you would receive the minimum of £4054.

These figures are based on living outwith the parental home and not living in London.

So the figures don't actually change if you're an independent student, it's just more likely that the household income will be lower.

Kind regards,

John.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John B SFE)
    Hi Sheppiro,

Not necessarily no. The higher maintenance loan is based on the household income.

-If the household income is below £25,000, you will receive the maximum maintenance loan available.

-If the household income is between £25,000 and £62,215, you will receive a maintenance loan between £4054 and £8700.

-If the household income is £62,215+, you would receive the minimum of £4054.

These figures are based on living outwith the parental home and not living in London.

So the figures don't actually change if you're an independent student, it's just more likely that the household income will be lower.

Kind regards,

John.
    Sorry to bother you again, I appreciate all your help so far. But would a letter from a teacher at my school explaining my situation suffice as evidence to prove that my nan is my legal guardian?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not estranged from my parents, but my grandparents are my legal guardians.
    Why do I have to get someone to sign a declaration of estrangement form?
    Why is everything so complicated???

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.