The Student Room Group

Drama School 2019 Entry

Poll

What type of course are you applying for?

Is anybody looking into 2019 entry yet? I'm looking to do a Musical Theatre BA.

Scroll to see replies

Here! :smile: I'm planning to audition for Acting BA for the first time.
Reply 2
Amazing! It’s my first time too 🙂. Where are you looking to apply? I really like the look of the course at ArtsEd but I think funding might be an issue there for me 😕
My current plan is RCS, Rada, Lamda, Oxford, Central, Drama Centre and Guildhall and I should be eligible for student loans though I could self finance RCS ( SO much cheaper, it's insane).. Right now my biggest concerns are passing the IELTS with a decent score and somehow convincing my former English teacher to write my references - honestly finding someone who speaks englisch well enough to write a reference at all is a total nightmare :sigh: while staying afloat in my current uni course and working my butt of to finance all the flights come audition season :biggrin: Are you already starting general prep?
Reply 4
I’m doing what I can but I’m finding it difficult to get too much done around what is currently a rather demanding job! Hopefully it should quieten down come August and then I should have more time to myself. It’s the Shakespeare in particular I’m nervous about because as I’m hoping to train in musical theatre it’s not something I’ve focussed on too much in the past!
I was in a bit of the same situation when I started seriously looking at drama schools a few months ago since Shakespeare isn't something you really get in touch with that much in German theatre... I found Patsy Rodenburg's Speaking Shakespeare really helpful, if you haven't yet I can seriously recommend looking at that.
I'm most nervous about potentially singing in auditions as I'm a horrible singer and hate doing stuff I know I suck at in front of other people :biggrin: I'm doing a few singing lessons in september and just hope to god they'll help.
Reply 6
Oh that’s interesting, thank you for the advice! I’ll check that out 🙂. Yes I can imagine that would be nerve racking if you don’t feel confident singing. I imagine they won’t be expecting you to be great though as it’s acting you want to do. I guess you just have to remind yourself of that!
I am an American actor who will be applying to RADA, among other schools this fall. I’m working on two monologues right now, one Shakespearean, the other modern. I will start working with an acting coach in August or September and hope to have a few singing lessons under my belt by November. I also want to do voice and speech work as well as movement. I’m thinking about taking an adult ballet class and seeing how I take to it.

What are you all doing to prepare?
Original post by DramaHopeful2019

What are you all doing to prepare?

Well I am mostly doing monologue work, reading plays, watching plays etc. I'll actually try to prepare 3 Shakespeares and 3 Contemporaries just so I'll have a few to choose from once the season comes around.

I'm not gonna work with an acting coach, because in my country that's not an actual thing and I don't think it's a great investment for me to travel just to get a bit of coaching in. Additionally to seeing a vocal coach for one or two lessons (mostly wanna know warm ups, what song from my selection is the best fit and lose my qualms about singing in front of an audience) I am actually joining the musical theatre group in my city this fall, so that's exciting.

My next step is absolutely smashing my IELTS next month while writing 70 dreadful pages of an academic paper I need for my plan B.
Reply 9
Hi DramaHopeful2019, Great to hear from you! I’m currently doing a musical theatre course to try and combine the singing, acting and dancing (currently I need to work on multitasking). I’m also thinking of doing ballet classes as it seems so useful to all forms of theatre. I’m also continuing with my singing lessons but I’m going to speak to my teacher about doing more musical theatre rep as I’m sounding a bit too classical when I sing.

EllaAuditions, I’m sure you’ll do really well in your IELTS as although I’ve obviously never heard you speak English, if it’s anything like your written English then it will be really good!
What kind of songs are you all preparing? Should it be a musical theatre song or is a pop song that sounds good without accompaniment be ok too?

Ella can ask what country are you located in and what is your Plan B?

Original post by EllaAuditions
Well I am mostly doing monologue work, reading plays, watching plays etc. I'll actually try to prepare 3 Shakespeares and 3 Contemporaries just so I'll have a few to choose from once the season comes around.

I'm not gonna work with an acting coach, because in my country that's not an actual thing and I don't think it's a great investment for me to travel just to get a bit of coaching in. Additionally to seeing a vocal coach for one or two lessons (mostly wanna know warm ups, what song from my selection is the best fit and lose my qualms about singing in front of an audience) I am actually joining the musical theatre group in my city this fall, so that's exciting.

My next step is absolutely smashing my IELTS next month while writing 70 dreadful pages of an academic paper I need for my plan B.
Reply 11
I’m not sure what the requirements are for BA Acting (as I’m hoping to do musical theatre) but with so many jukebox musicals around I’m sure you can find a pop song that’s also from a musical if that’s what you’d prefer to sing. I personally will be avoiding pop music as it’s not what my voice is best suited to but I’ll be aiming for contrasting songs that you can really act. Sadly that means I won’t be singing anything from Mamma Mia!
Can I recommend the site NotaPushyMum.com for advice on Musical Theatre degrees. It has helped my daughter get into a good Musical Theatre school and I wish I had found it earlier x Goodluck all.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 13
Thank you for the advice! 🙂
Original post by henmanfan
Thank you for the advice! 🙂

Your welcome. Competition is fierce but it is possible x
Original post by henmanfan

EllaAuditions, I’m sure you’ll do really well in your IELTS as although I’ve obviously never heard you speak English, if it’s anything like your written English then it will be really good!

Thank you :colondollar: I really hope so. Two years back when I was just finishing school I did a test and got C2 qualification, so I'm not too worried. Just a bit apprehensive because it doesn't seem as easy as the Cambridge Certificate test we did. Let's see.

Original post by DramaHopeful2019
What kind of songs are you all preparing? Should it be a musical theatre song or is a pop song that sounds good without accompaniment be ok too?

Ella can ask what country are you located in and what is your Plan B?

I think most schools don't want to see pop songs just because it can be pretty hard to act through them. As for what I'm preparing, I listened to a ton of musical soundtracks and choose quite a few I liked to go through in my singing lessons and then I'll choose the one that fits me best.

I'm currently in Law School in Germany. Thought acting wasn't an option and that in Law School I'd get the chance to analyze text and do presentations a lot. I do, but I really hate how it's all about the money and not at all about people or justice. It was worth a try even if I hate it so much it's really just comical at this point.
Reply 16
I'm currently in Law School in Germany. Thought acting wasn't an option and that in Law School I'd get the chance to analyze text and do presentations a lot. I do, but I really hate how it's all about the money and not at all about people or justice. It was worth a try even if I hate it so much it's really just comical at this point.

My degree’s in French and I also thought acting wasn’t an option. My parents wanted me to do law or medicine and I wanted to do acting or music so I ended up doing French as some sort of compromise that neither of us were really happy with!
I was in a bit of the same situation when I started seriously looking at drama schools a few months ago since Shakespeare isn't something you really get in touch with that much in German theatre... I found Patsy Rodenburg's Speaking Shakespeare really helpful, if you haven't yet I can seriously recommend looking at that.
I'm most nervous about potentially singing in auditions as I'm a horrible singer and hate doing stuff I know I suck at in front of other people :biggrin: I'm doing a few singing lessons in september and just hope to god they'll help.

At Lamda, are you going for the BA Acting or the MFA?
Original post by ageshallnot
At Lamda, are you going for the BA Acting or the MFA?

I'm going for BA Acting at all schools I apply to this year. I'm only in the second year of Law School anyway and wouldn't graduate until 2021 :sigh:
I'm going for BA Acting at all schools I apply to this year. I'm only in the second year of Law School anyway and wouldn't graduate until 2021 :sigh:

Ah, ok. If you get in this year will you abandon Law School?

Quick Reply

Latest