The Student Room Group

Drama School 2019 Entry

Scroll to see replies

I LOVE Greek theatre too!! Antigone is my absolute favourite

I have minimal acting experience, just school/sixth form and youth theatre stuff. This always makes me feel a bit intimidated and out of place but I attended a LAMDA work shop this evening and it made me feel super reassured
Reply 121
Hey! Aren't the applications for oxford already closed?
Original post by catms
Hey! Aren't the applications for oxford already closed?

I believe for Oxford Drama School the applications are open until May
Reply 123
Thank you for all your replies! Helped a lot, thanks 😊😊

I’m choosing my classical pieces now and I’m very fond of a piece from As you like it that I found online, actually on YouTube. Problem is, as I read the play I realised that it’s not a full monologue - it has anothr character answering her (Rosalind) in between, so it’s as if the responses she’s getting has been cut out (very short ones) so that it’s only her lines which forms a great monologue. Do you think they would mind me using this or is it absolutely crucial that you have to indeed pick a piece that is a monologue from start until end? I’ve seen some pieces online (etc Beatrice “kill Claudio” from much ado) that I know aren’t full monologues from start, but cut together. Is this accepted?
I was planning on using cleopatras monologue from act 5 scene 2 (I dreamt there was an emperor) and there is someone talking between her lines but she isn’t answering them. I think as long as you know where the other person is speaking then it’s fine
Reply 125
Original post by megtjames
I was planning on using cleopatras monologue from act 5 scene 2 (I dreamt there was an emperor) and there is someone talking between her lines but she isn’t answering them. I think as long as you know where the other person is speaking then it’s fine

I see what you mean! The thing is, she sort of is answering back but if one would cut out the other persons lines, it would still make sense as a good stand alone monologue, and nothing is really saying that she is definitely answering back to someone inbetween if you’d read it as a monologue. Do you still think it’s ok?
Yeah I understand. Perhaps it could work stand alone but I’d be worried that they’d think it should fit into the scene as a whole. Maybe you could act it as though you are answering back to the other person? Direct your attention somewhere in the room perhaps and use your imagination
Original post by Amaloh
I see what you mean! The thing is, she sort of is answering back but if one would cut out the other persons lines, it would still make sense as a good stand alone monologue, and nothing is really saying that she is definitely answering back to someone in between if you’d read it as a monologue. Do you still think it’s ok?

I think it could be ok but remember these places know their Shakespeare like the back of their hands. They've heard every monologue there is at one point or another. I would email them just to make sure that it's ok because there'd be nothing worse than turning up and getting an immediate cross next to your name just because the piece you chose doesn't hit their criteria.
I am just so done with begging people for references. From my current drama group no one speaks enough English/wants to write a reference and the other group I had hoped to get in just didn't audition anyone but drew lots. Anyone any tips on how to get a second reference for RCS and Guildhall in two months?
Reply 129
Original post by EllaAuditions
I am just so done with begging people for references. From my current drama group no one speaks enough English/wants to write a reference and the other group I had hoped to get in just didn't audition anyone but drew lots. Anyone any tips on how to get a second reference for RCS and Guildhall in two months?

I can't speak for RCS but for Guildhall, I had my first reference done by someone who has known me for a little while and my acting. My other reference is entirely non-acting related, it's my mentor from work (Nursing) and we've been working together. My acting coach said that mostly one should be from someone who knows how you are acting and another is more of a character reference. So maybe you can find someone who's known you better but not necessarily knows your acting.
Remember that most drama schools specify that you don't actually need any acting experience to audition, which means they should be ready to receive non acting related references.
For Guildhall they don’t need references straight away and only need them if you get through to second rounds or recalls. I haven’t sent any away for them as that’s what the woman told me.

For RCS, they do need them before your audition. However I think it’s so horrible no one is willing to do one for you! How long does it take to just write a quick reference? For RCS one has to be performance based and one academic so even if you found someone who knows you on any of those levels, even an old teacher from high school. Or any groups you’ve been a part of. Honestly if I couldn’t find anyone I’d just mail the school and ask their advice and tell them your situation. It’s a bit of an annoyance having to find two references when we’re just auditioning, it’s so much effort for just, in most cases, a five minute audition. Other university courses don’t require this much effort as they’re all done through Ucas and it’s so much simpler, you’d think that because they’re auditioning 2000 people they wouldn’t need all these references this at this stage.

Edit: Just realised you’d still need to put their contact details in sorry my mistake! ugh
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Amaloh
Thank you for all your replies! Helped a lot, thanks 😊😊

I’m choosing my classical pieces now and I’m very fond of a piece from As you like it that I found online, actually on YouTube. Problem is, as I read the play I realised that it’s not a full monologue - it has anothr character answering her (Rosalind) in between, so it’s as if the responses she’s getting has been cut out (very short ones) so that it’s only her lines which forms a great monologue. Do you think they would mind me using this or is it absolutely crucial that you have to indeed pick a piece that is a monologue from start until end? I’ve seen some pieces online (etc Beatrice “kill Claudio” from much ado) that I know aren’t full monologues from start, but cut together. Is this accepted?

No thats fine. As long as it works well.
Original post by sunshinexx1
For Guildhall they don’t need references straight away and only need them if you get through to second rounds or recalls. I haven’t sent any away for them as that’s what the woman told me.

For RCS, they do need them before your audition. However I think it’s so horrible no one is willing to do one for you! How long does it take to just write a quick reference? For RCS one has to be performance based and one academic so even if you found someone who knows you on any of those levels, even an old teacher from high school. Or any groups you’ve been a part of. Honestly if I couldn’t find anyone I’d just mail the school and ask their advice and tell them your situation. It’s a bit of an annoyance having to find two references when we’re just auditioning, it’s so much effort for just, in most cases, a five minute audition. Other university courses don’t require this much effort as they’re all done through Ucas and it’s so much simpler, you’d think that because they’re auditioning 2000 people they wouldn’t need all these references this at this stage.

Edit: Just realised you’d still need to put their contact details in sorry my mistake! ugh

It's just so annoying because there's not much I can do when they don't want to write anything. References aren't really a common thing to ask for/need here in Germany so most people are a bit put off when you ask them and in addition to that there's quite a few people who don't want to help me in this because they think it's stupid to apply to drama school, when I'm having good grades in law school (I asked a lot of people and it's just so annoying at this point). Problem is at uni I have all my courses in a group of about 400 people and at work I barely even see my supervisors, so I've run out of options. Right now I'm searching quite frantically for workshops or literally anything that could get me even the least helpful reference because I hate the thought of not even applying and I already talked to the schools and there's no way around at least supplying contact details.

Okay rant out. How is everyone else doing this week?
Reply 133
(How is everyone else doing this week?)

I am now panicking. My RADA audition date has come in (12th of Nov). I get vertigo just thinking about it and a sudden doubt in all my monologues has set in.
Reply 134
Do you have any good contemporary plays that you could recommend? I’m trying to decide on my contemporary monologues but haven’t found one that I feel strong enough for yet. Preferably one that would suit a 20y female.

Also- thinking about the Shakespeare piece- how did you decide which one to do? I’m so torn because the Ones I feel the strongest for are the ones I feel that a lot of young women are doing (Julia from two gentlemen, Rosalind from As you like it)?
I’m also quite concerned about the contemporary, I feel I have some options but I’m just not feeling that good about them
Original post by RBrunR
I am now panicking. My RADA audition date has come in (12th of Nov). I get vertigo just thinking about it and a sudden doubt in all my monologues has set in.

Well I think it's pretty natural to be nervous (and also to freak out) you just need to know how to work with your nerves . I also think doubt is really normal, just look at some of the horrible monologues on youtube and you'll feel better!

About the contemporary: I have two and I really like them, but I'm also not crazy about either of them. They're good to work with and in the way I do them I think they work really well for me, but they're far from perfect fits.
Yeah, feel exactly the same I’m struggling with my contemporarys too guys

None feel right like I’m not excited about performing them and I feel I’ve done lots of work on them but I still don’t feel completely confident. Also, idk about anyone else but it seems that no matter how much I’m working hard and preparing myself for these auditions I just don’t feel totally ready, like I still feel really unsure and not prepared enough. Don’t know what it is, I even went to one of the schools I was auditioning for and sat in the library and like had a look around and still felt very out of place and uncomfortable even though there’s no reason to, it sometimes feels like drama school is a totally separate world and I just am looking at it from the outside but hopefully as auditions get closer I get more positive and ready for it Ughhh
I'm just filling out my Rada application right now and I was wondering what to put as 'most recent or highest qualification(s) and subject'. My highest qualification is my Abitur (A Level equivalent) and in Germany we do have classes that count more than others but the final grade is a grade that's calculated from all your grades in the last two school years. So do I just put my qualification, my qualification and final grade or qualification and the subjects I did final exams in? Help?
I'm just filling out my Rada application right now and I was wondering what to put as 'most recent or highest qualification(s) and subject'. My highest qualification is my Abitur (A Level equivalent) and in Germany we do have classes that count more than others but the final grade is a grade that's calculated from all your grades in the last two school years. So do I just put my qualification, my qualification and final grade or qualification and the subjects I did final exams in? Help?

Just put your A level equivalent and subjects with the grade next to them. And dont worry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending