Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey!
    I'm an afro-asiatic Jew and I currently speak a branch of a Semitic language (Amharic) and I'm fluent in Arabic (self-taught).
    I've seen the new changes to the GCSE and they've included modern hebrew. I'd love to take modern hebrew gcse and I was wondering if there was any significance of taking it?
    Is Hebrew considered a classical language such as greek or latin?
    Will there be any benefits?
    Thanks x
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by erratic_deus)
    Hey!
    I'm an afro-asiatic Jew and I currently speak a branch of a Semitic language (Amharic) and I'm fluent in Arabic (self-taught).
    I've seen the new changes to the GCSE and they've included modern hebrew. I'd love to take modern hebrew gcse and I was wondering if there was any significance of taking it?
    Thanks x
    I'd think just a GCSE and a niche language. Only benefit is having another GCSE imo. maybe slightly more relevant if you apply to do classics or ancient history etc.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Hey!
    Thanks x
    What specifically do you mean by benefits/significance? Hebrew is the original language of the bible, which has influenced literature and culture throughout history and today. So in that way it would be considered a significant language. It isn't part of "classics" but I think many would consider it to be a classical language. I'm no expert on this so don't take my word as gospel.

I can read/write and speak basic Hebrew and the only apparent benefit it gives me is that I can communicate (barely) with people in Israel

But learning any language is beneficial in lots of indirect ways. If Hebrew has a cultural/religious significance for you then that's more reason to study it.

ReputationRep:
    Hey!
    Thanks x
    There are syllabus for Modern Hebrew and also Biblical Hebrew.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notnek)
    What specifically do you mean by benefits/significance? Hebrew is the original language of the bible, which has influenced literature and culture throughout history and today. So in that way it would be considered a significant language. It isn't part of "classics" but I think many would consider it to be a classical language. I'm no expert on this so don't take my word as gospel.

I can read/write and speak basic Hebrew and the only apparent benefit it gives me is that I can communicate (barely) with people in Israel

But learning any language is beneficial in lots of indirect ways. If Hebrew has a cultural/religious significance for you then that's more reason to study it.
    Are you Israeli?
    I'm Hadhramaut
    I don't speak Hebrew but I can understand it depending on the Israeli/Jordanian.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Are you Israeli?
    I'm Hadhramaut
    I don't speak Hebrew but I can understand it depending on the Israeli/Jordanian.
    No but I'm Jewish so was forced to learn it in primary school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notnek)
    No but I'm Jewish so was forced to learn it in primary school
    Oh. I'm Jewish too and I know some of it and I'm definitely thinking of taking the GCSE during my a-levels!!

ReputationRep:
    i know this is so late to say this but
    1.i took hebrew in one year in the beginning i was a D and now im an A* (and im not even that clever)
    2,the gcse is very basic
    3.modern hebrew is NOT a classical language but biblical hebrew is which btw i think is quiet hard

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 30, 2018
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.