erratic_deus
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey!
I'm an afro-asiatic Jew and I currently speak a branch of a Semitic language (Amharic) and I'm fluent in Arabic (self-taught).
I've seen the new changes to the GCSE and they've included modern hebrew. I'd love to take modern hebrew gcse and I was wondering if there was any significance of taking it?
Is Hebrew considered a classical language such as greek or latin?
Will there be any benefits?
Thanks x
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by erratic_deus)
Hey!
I'm an afro-asiatic Jew and I currently speak a branch of a Semitic language (Amharic) and I'm fluent in Arabic (self-taught).
I've seen the new changes to the GCSE and they've included modern hebrew. I'd love to take modern hebrew gcse and I was wondering if there was any significance of taking it?
Thanks x
I'd think just a GCSE and a niche language. Only benefit is having another GCSE imo. maybe slightly more relevant if you apply to do classics or ancient history etc.
Notnek
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey!
Thanks x
What specifically do you mean by benefits/significance? Hebrew is the original language of the bible, which has influenced literature and culture throughout history and today. So in that way it would be considered a significant language. It isn't part of "classics" but I think many would consider it to be a classical language. I'm no expert on this so don't take my word as gospel.

I can read/write and speak basic Hebrew and the only apparent benefit it gives me is that I can communicate (barely) with people in Israel

But learning any language is beneficial in lots of indirect ways. If Hebrew has a cultural/religious significance for you then that's more reason to study it.
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey!
Thanks x
There are syllabus for Modern Hebrew and also Biblical Hebrew.
erratic_deus
Rep:
?
(Original post by Notnek)
What specifically do you mean by benefits/significance? Hebrew is the original language of the bible, which has influenced literature and culture throughout history and today. So in that way it would be considered a significant language. It isn't part of "classics" but I think many would consider it to be a classical language. I'm no expert on this so don't take my word as gospel.

I can read/write and speak basic Hebrew and the only apparent benefit it gives me is that I can communicate (barely) with people in Israel

But learning any language is beneficial in lots of indirect ways. If Hebrew has a cultural/religious significance for you then that's more reason to study it.
Are you Israeli?
I'm Hadhramaut
I don't speak Hebrew but I can understand it depending on the Israeli/Jordanian.
Notnek
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Are you Israeli?
I'm Hadhramaut
I don't speak Hebrew but I can understand it depending on the Israeli/Jordanian.
No but I'm Jewish so was forced to learn it in primary school
erratic_deus
Rep:
?
(Original post by Notnek)
No but I'm Jewish so was forced to learn it in primary school
Oh. I'm Jewish too and I know some of it and I'm definitely thinking of taking the GCSE during my a-levels!!
batya leon
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
i know this is so late to say this but
1.i took hebrew in one year in the beginning i was a D and now im an A* (and im not even that clever)
2,the gcse is very basic
3.modern hebrew is NOT a classical language but biblical hebrew is which btw i think is quiet hard
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.35%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.1%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (44)
17.96%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (64)
26.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.18%

Watched Threads