Turn on thread page Beta

I was one mark off an A* - is it worth doing anything? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    So I just found out I was one mark off an A* in my English Language A Level exam. Is it worth getting a remark or does that never pay off? Should I just get over it? I'm only asking because I'm applying to uni and an A* would be really helpful.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by o.dowes)
    Hi,
    So I just found out I was one mark off an A* in my English Language A Level exam. Is it worth getting a remark or does that never pay off? Should I just get over it? I'm only asking because I'm applying to uni and an A* would be really helpful.
    Thanks
    When did you take the exam?

ReputationRep:
    We all make mistakes. Learn from them. Grow. Move forward.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Hi,
    Thanks
    You answered your own question. I would go for the remark assuming you are within the time limits and have the money.

Btw it may just be you didnt consistently get 90% over A2..
    Notwithstanding CIT may calculate differently.

How is the A* awarded?The A* at A Level is awarded to candidates who achieve a grade A on the A Level overall (80%), and who also achieve at least 90% on the uniform mark scale (UMS) across their A2 units. For example, in a four-unit A Level which has 400 UMS and each unit has 100 UMS, you need to achieve at least 320 UMS overall and at least 180 UMS out of 200 on the A2 units.

ReputationRep:
    They're going to find that mark.
    Get your paper remarked sis!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Thanks
    If you have the money for it the go ahead. But i cant even tell you how many people i've met who remark it thinking examiners always get it wrong, and it just comes back exactly the same. But u never know, once every blue moon someone does actually gain or lose a mark or two. (yeah my teacher told us of someone who got it remarked and just came back worse lol)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    When did you take the exam?
    I did it with Cambridge International Examinations, I went to school abroad.

ReputationRep:
    I did it with Cambridge International Examinations, I went to school abroad.
    So which month did you take the exam in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    So which month did you take the exam in?
    I did it in November last year. I got my results in January but I've only just found out what my raw marks were.

ReputationRep:
    Get a remark. You might as well nothing much to lose even if you lose a couple marks, which is highly unlikely, I doubt you will lose so much as to go down a grade

ReputationRep:
    same for GCSE history and i'm still bitter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    You answered your own question. I would go for the remark assuming you are within the time limits and have the money.

Btw it may just be you didnt consistently get 90% over A2..
    Notwithstanding CIT may calculate differently.

How is the A* awarded?The A* at A Level is awarded to candidates who achieve a grade A on the A Level overall (80%), and who also achieve at least 90% on the uniform mark scale (UMS) across their A2 units. For example, in a four-unit A Level which has 400 UMS and each unit has 100 UMS, you need to achieve at least 320 UMS overall and at least 180 UMS out of 200 on the A2 units.
    Ok, so I'm not sure on percentages but here is what I know:
    For component 98 (AS Level) I got 85 marks in total which if I remember rightly was a really high A.
    For component 32 (my first A Level paper) I got 35 marks, it was 35 marks for an A in that paper.
    For component 42 (second A Level paper) I got 34 marks, it was 37 marks for an A.
    When all those marks were totalled up I had 154 marks, but it was 155 marks for an A*.
    Does that change anything?

ReputationRep:
    Get it remarked definitely .
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    So after my school telling me the deadline for remarks has passed (it hasnt) they have now said I can get a remark but it would be a 'waste of money'. Should I still go through with it? I really don't know what to do...

ReputationRep:
    So after my school telling me the deadline for remarks has passed (it hasnt) they have now said I can get a remark but it would be a 'waste of money'. Should I still go through with it? I really don't know what to do...
    One mark!?!?! That is definitely worth a remark in my opinion!
    Hopefully you go up a grade - my brother got 2 marks for his, and got it remarked, and went up a grade!

BEST WISHES!

ReputationRep:
    nothing to lose

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the reassurance! I'm gonna go for it - even if the mark doesn't change at least I'll have tried everything!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.