Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my first year and I'm not enjoying my course. I thought Business and Management would be a walk in the park after having studied it for 2 years as a BTEC. Although I am able to understand most things, I am not at all stimulated. I find no joy in studying or attending my lectures.

I've also been under a lot of stress and have felt depressed at times. I feel very lonely and often worry about the student debt I'd fall into and whether I'd find a job after Uni. I haven't made any close friends and I am not motivated to work.

I've been thinking about transferring course to Economics or Law, but I don't want to end up regretting my decision worse than I do now. I've talked to some people and found out it's a bit too late to apply for the next year. I would prefer to jump onto the course in my second, but that's unlikely.

The only option left for me is to go through clearing and I don't even know if I'll be successful. This year alone, Economics has been packed with lectures taking place in Odeon and Guildford college.

I dont' know what to do.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by VerumThrowaway)
    I'm in my first year and I'm not enjoying my course. I thought Business and Management would be a walk in the park after having studied it for 2 years as a BTEC. Although I am able to understand most things, I am not at all stimulated. I find no joy in studying or attending my lectures.

I've also been under a lot of stress and have felt depressed at times. I feel very lonely and often worry about the student debt I'd fall into and whether I'd find a job after Uni. I haven't made any close friends and I am not motivated to work.

I've been thinking about transferring course to Economics or Law, but I don't want to end up regretting my decision worse than I do now. I've talked to some people and found out it's a bit too late to apply for the next year. I would prefer to jump onto the course in my second, but that's unlikely.

The only option left for me is to go through clearing and I don't even know if I'll be successful. This year alone, Economics has been packed with lectures taking place in Odeon and Guildford college.

I dont' know what to do.
    Hey VerumThrowaway,

Really sorry to hear that you're feeling this way. Firstly, I would suggest getting in contact with the Wellbeing centre on campus (near the GP) as your health is the biggest priority. They are open from 9am-5pm Monday-Friday and you can drop in to set up an appointment.

There are a couple of different people that you can to speak to regarding your course and the options you have. Initially I would suggest meeting your personal tutor to discuss your concerns with them. If you would like to switch programmes, then I would get in touch with Student Services. They'll be able to tell you if this would be possible, and talk you through the process. They have all the info regarding changing your student finance too You can pop in to the Student Services centre on campus Monday-Friday, or send an email to [email protected].

It may also be useful to speak to a Careers Adviser to figure out which path you'd like to go down in the future. This could give you an idea of what degree would be best to help you to achieve your long-term goals. Pop in to the Careers centre (it's around the corner from the Accommodation office in the Philip Marchant building) to set up a one-to-one appointment.

Hope this helps!

All the best,
    Ashley

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 19, 2018

University open days

1. University of Surrey
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  2. University of Surrey
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 13 Oct '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.