Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my first year and I'm not enjoying my course. I thought Business and Management would be a walk in the park after having studied it for 2 years as a BTEC. Although I am able to understand most things, I am not at all stimulated. I find no joy in studying or attending my lectures.

I've also been under a lot of stress and have felt depressed at times. I feel very lonely and often worry about the student debt I'd fall into and whether I'd find a job after Uni. I haven't made any close friends and I am not motivated to work.

I've been thinking about transferring course to Economics or Law, but I don't want to end up regretting my decision worse than I do now. I've talked to some people and found out it's a bit too late to apply for the next year. I would prefer to jump onto the course in my second, but that's unlikely.

The only option left for me is to go through clearing and I don't even know if I'll be successful. This year alone, Economics has been packed with lectures taking place in Odeon and Guildford college.

After talking to my mum, she advised me to come back to London and look to study at a University there. Then again, I'd probably have to go through clearing and I'm not sure I'd get the opportunity chance to switch University. At the very least I want to switch course but I dont' know what to do.

ReputationRep:
    hi , do you have a tutor u can talk to about transferring or a professor to open up to , i would advise u do that
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by VerumThrowaway)
    I'm in my first year and I'm not enjoying my course. I thought Business and Management would be a walk in the park after having studied it for 2 years as a BTEC. Although I am able to understand most things, I am not at all stimulated. I find no joy in studying or attending my lectures.

I've also been under a lot of stress and have felt depressed at times. I feel very lonely and often worry about the student debt I'd fall into and whether I'd find a job after Uni. I haven't made any close friends and I am not motivated to work.

I've been thinking about transferring course to Economics or Law, but I don't want to end up regretting my decision worse than I do now. I've talked to some people and found out it's a bit too late to apply for the next year. I would prefer to jump onto the course in my second, but that's unlikely.

The only option left for me is to go through clearing and I don't even know if I'll be successful. This year alone, Economics has been packed with lectures taking place in Odeon and Guildford college.

After talking to my mum, she advised me to come back to London and look to study at a University there. Then again, I'd probably have to go through clearing and I'm not sure I'd get the opportunity chance to switch University. At the very least I want to switch course but I dont' know what to do.
    Oh dear. Sorry to hear about your situation.

In terms of the stress and depression, have you spoken to your Personal Tutor (or equivalent point of contact) about this? They should be there for you to talk to and give you guidance on university/third-party services you can access to help with the depression/stress.

Again, when it comes to doing things like switching courses, it's best to ask your personal tutor, or even try and get hold of the admissions team within the department you want to transfer to regarding your options and whether or not you're eligible for a transfer based on the qualifications you currently hold. Different universities have different policies on this, and some are more/less flexible than others.

I really wouldn't worry TOO much about the debt. It's not as awful as the tabloids make it out to be and it's nothing like borrowing from a loan-shark/high-street lender.

Jobs wise, it's best to start looking at internships/placements or even just volunteering/getting involved in societies in order to boost your CV. Your university careers service should be able to help.

ReputationRep:

yeah man i dropped out of uni to pursue what i wanted to actually do now im actually happy and living well. you have to think about whats the long term goal here. then work backwards. it takes time to figure it out, set aside a couple hours to just sit and think about what your career choice is, hours you want to work etc. Law, Economics and buisness are VERY different, so you need to really do some research into what each job consists of and see which one gives you the biggest boner then go for it dude. don't even force yourself into what you dont enjoy.

HOWEVER you may just not like it because its hard and a big step up from the work load your used to, in that case they all will be the same and u may not like any of them, so try and focus on improving your skills. cos we all enjoy what were good at

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ray_Shadows)
    hi , do you have a tutor u can talk to about transferring or a professor to open up to , i would advise u do that
    Yeah I’ve emailed him, but he hasn’t replied to me yet. Probably because I didn’t email him sooner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    Oh dear. Sorry to hear about your situation.

In terms of the stress and depression, have you spoken to your Personal Tutor (or equivalent point of contact) about this? They should be there for you to talk to and give you guidance on university/third-party services you can access to help with the depression/stress.

Again, when it comes to doing things like switching courses, it's best to ask your personal tutor, or even try and get hold of the admissions team within the department you want to transfer to regarding your options and whether or not you're eligible for a transfer based on the qualifications you currently hold. Different universities have different policies on this, and some are more/less flexible than others.

I really wouldn't worry TOO much about the debt. It's not as awful as the tabloids make it out to be and it's nothing like borrowing from a loan-shark/high-street lender.

Jobs wise, it's best to start looking at internships/placements or even just volunteering/getting involved in societies in order to boost your CV. Your university careers service should be able to help.
    With regards to stress and depression I’ve met with a mental health nurse who gave some sound advice, like speaking to the careers service and looking into mindfulness. Right now my biggest issue is not knowing what course I want to be doing, since Business is not very appealing to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlobBlob69)
    yeah man i dropped out of uni to pursue what i wanted to actually do now im actually happy and living well. you have to think about whats the long term goal here. then work backwards. it takes time to figure it out, set aside a couple hours to just sit and think about what your career choice is, hours you want to work etc. Law, Economics and buisness are VERY different, so you need to really do some research into what each job consists of and see which one gives you the biggest boner then go for it dude. don't even force yourself into what you dont enjoy.

HOWEVER you may just not like it because its hard and a big step up from the work load your used to, in that case they all will be the same and u may not like any of them, so try and focus on improving your skills. cos we all enjoy what were good at
    I really do want to study a course where it will lead me to do something I am good at but I’m not really sure what I want to do. I want to create a business, while I also want to get involved with films and developing video games. If it were up to me I would be studying computer science or film studies but my grades won’t allow that.

ReputationRep:
    If it were up to me I would be studying computer science or film studies but my grades won’t allow that.
    It would mean a four-year course, but have you considered a Computer Science Foundation Year?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I’ve emailed him, but he hasn’t replied to me yet. Probably because I didn’t email him sooner.
    is there anyway you can see him in person , people usually tend to put of email because there's no saying whether the receiving end has seen it or not

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.