Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So, its literally under 100 days away from my first mock exam for maths. I find maths really complicated and i dont understand it. Ive been put on higher this year which means i have to understand higher in just under 100 days. Im stressed out. I talked to my teacher about moving me down twice and she said no. I broke down crying today infront of her. I feel honestly stressed and so emotional about this whole thing. Can i have some advice?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by imhannahhhhh)
    So, its literally under 100 days away from my first mock exam for maths. I find maths really complicated and i dont understand it. Ive been put on higher this year which means i have to understand higher in just under 100 days. Im stressed out. I talked to my teacher about moving me down twice and she said no. I broke down crying today infront of her. I feel honestly stressed and so emotional about this whole thing. Can i have some advice?
    Have you come across this website before? ExamSolutions pretty much got me through my GCSE and A-Level Maths. The guy does a good job explaining each and every topic within the specification.

ReputationRep:
    What are your maths grades? If you have even the slightest chance of a 6 you should definitely stick with higher. Also remember that you don't need to master all the content. To get a 5 in foundation, you would have to know everything on the paper, but on higher you need a much lower percentage to do as well!! You get more time in the exam but don't have to answer as many questions as you would if you were on foundation or aiming for an 8/9. Just make sure you spend some time at home each day consolidating what you've learnt in Maths, and you'll be fine. You never know, your grade may even surprise you!! Good luck
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    Have you come across this website before? ExamSolutions pretty much got me through my GCSE and A-Level Maths. The guy does a good job explaining each and every topic within the specification.
    Thankyou i will check it out, i just dont know how to get my head around this whole thing. Telling her today was really hard. i have anxiety so building up the courage to tell her that was a lot. Thankyou for the help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooschool4cool)
    What are your maths grades? If you have even the slightest chance of a 6 you should definitely stick with higher. Also remember that you don't need to master all the content. To get a 5 in foundation, you would have to know everything on the paper, but on higher you need a much lower percentage to do as well!! You get more time in the exam but don't have to answer as many questions as you would if you were on foundation or aiming for an 8/9. Just make sure you spend some time at home each day consolidating what you've learnt in Maths, and you'll be fine. You never know, your grade may even surprise you!! Good luck
    Aw! Thankyou so much for the inspiration! i just feel lost. Im working at a 5 but my teacher belives i could get 6s and even higher. I dont honestly think that i could. In comparision to the other kids in that class, im a lost cause. How much would you need for a grade 5 or 6 on the higher paper? Thankyou for this, really made me feel a lot better

ReputationRep:
    Aw! Thankyou so much for the inspiration! i just feel lost. Im working at a 5 but my teacher belives i could get 6s and even higher. I dont honestly think that i could. In comparision to the other kids in that class, im a lost cause. How much would you need for a grade 5 or 6 on the higher paper? Thankyou for this, really made me feel a lot better
    Looking at AQA's grade boundaries last year, both GCSEs are out of 240 raw marks. On foundation, you had to get 156 marks for a 5, and 72 on higher for a 5. So this works out as 65% on the foundation paper and 30% on the higher paper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooschool4cool)
    Looking at AQA's grade boundaries last year, both GCSEs are out of 240 raw marks. On foundation, you had to get 156 marks for a 5, and 72 on higher for a 5. So this works out as 65% on the foundation paper and 30% on the higher paper
    oh okay thankyou so much

ReputationRep:
    oh okay thankyou so much
    No problem!!

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in year 9 and preparing to doing my GSCEs earlier and maths isn't my strong point either. I have been recommend by my teacher to take an extra maths class after school and i have also been given ahead of time the lesson plan so i can revise beforehand. This has really boosted my confidence and help out a lot. Maybe you could given this a try although not all methods i tried worked but if this works for you i am glad i could of helped.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 15, 2018

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.