Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My question is about lecturers,i am currently in my last year of study and a number of my classmates including me have felt as though our marks are being capped this has been happening since year 2. the main issue is that the lecturer was bold enough to say he has already made up his mind who which students will get a first and which will get a 2nd, he is the course leader. i know this is not structured properly so some may not understand me (currently outraged) i want to ask has anyone else been through this ? what did you do to combat this ? did you just accept your fate as a 2:1 student. i have worked very hard to get my grades i get high in everyone but him i have calculated my grade and i will get a classification of 68% = 2.1 i have his module left and i know i will not get the mark desired
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by OneofOne)
    My question is about lecturers,i am currently in my last year of study and a number of my classmates including me have felt as though our marks are being capped this has been happening since year 2. the main issue is that the lecturer was bold enough to say he has already made up his mind who which students will get a first and which will get a 2nd, he is the course leader. i know this is not structured properly so some may not understand me (currently outraged) i want to ask has anyone else been through this ? what did you do to combat this ? did you just accept your fate as a 2:1 student. i have worked very hard to get my grades i get high in everyone but him i have calculated my grade and i will get a classification of 68% = 2.1 i have his module left and i know i will not get the mark desired
    I doubt its set in stone and they are normally double blind marked. he just probably has an idea, but then its up to you to exceed and come out with something that deserves a first. Presumably you have some evidence that you are being capped? If so then make an official complaint.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    I doubt its set in stone and they are normally double blind marked. he just probably has an idea, but then its up to you to exceed and come out with something that deserves a first. Presumably you have some evidence that you are being capped? If so then make an official complaint.
    cheers i will make a compliant
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    the main issue is that the lecturer was bold enough to say he has already made up his mind who which students will get a first and which will get a 2nd
    Is this word for word what happened? Because I've heard teachers say plenty of times that they know who will get X top grade, who will get a low grade and so on and it's been misinterpreted as the teacher saying they've already decided what marks everyone will get. Many lecturers will know quite early on who is coming out with a good grade but there are measures in place (such as anonymous hand ins) to prevent favoritism.

Additionally, you need some real evidence of this before you can actually do anything about it. A single off hand comment that you might have misinterpreted is not enough to go on. And it's not like a 2:1 is a bad grade. Rather than making a complaint about the problem, it might be better to discuss your concerns about your grade with your teacher. You say you've worked hard but your lecturer might be able to point out the things you are doing wrong that prevented you getting a higher grade. And if you did come out with a fairly borderline mark of 68% there's usually some room to change marks to bump that up to a first if they think you deserve it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Is this word for word what happened? Because I've heard teachers say plenty of times that they know who will get X top grade, who will get a low grade and so on and it's been misinterpreted as the teacher saying they've already decided what marks everyone will get. Many lecturers will know quite early on who is coming out with a good grade but there are measures in place (such as anonymous hand ins) to prevent favoritism.

Additionally, you need some real evidence of this before you can actually do anything about it. A single off hand comment that you might have misinterpreted is not enough to go on. And it's not like a 2:1 is a bad grade. Rather than making a complaint about the problem, it might be better to discuss your concerns about your grade with your teacher. You say you've worked hard but your lecturer might be able to point out the things you are doing wrong that prevented you getting a higher grade. And if you did come out with a fairly borderline mark of 68% there's usually some room to change marks to bump that up to a first if they think you deserve it.
    Yes it is, i don't feel that the evidence is substantial enough as of yet but i will have a talk with him, there is no marking criteria for his work (his is literally giving out grades to what he like) which doesn't help.

if i do get 68% who would i need to speak to for them to change the mark
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yes it is, i don't feel that the evidence is substantial enough as of yet but i will have a talk with him, there is no marking criteria for his work (his is literally giving out grades to what he like) which doesn't help.

if i do get 68% who would i need to speak to for them to change the mark
    If you don't know the marking criteria then you arguably can't actually say that you didn't get the grade you deserved, nor do you really know that grades are simply being given out as they like. Probably best to ask him what you can do to put your mark up. I wouldn't mention anything about how you feel his marking is not appropriate, simply explain that you're near the boundary of 70% and would like to know what exactly you can do to make sure you get that top grade.

It's not a matter of "speaking to someone to get the mark changed". There would be no guarantee it would get changed. I'm simply aware that my head of school had a student once who was on a boundary mark and the head of school felt he deserved the 1st rather than the 2:1 he was going to get. So the head of school asked the lecturer that was responsible for bringing that mark down if there was any change they could change it. They refused.

If you are on a boundary mark then you can inquire, either with individual members of staff or with someone like a personal tutor or head of department to see if there's anything you can do to bump your grade up. That might mean redoing some work, or doing something extra or just plain getting some work remarked. There's no guarantee there. University systems are a lot more flexible than exam boards but that doesn't mean hard work entitles you to getting your mark changed. If you end up with 68% and that's what they think you deserve then there's not much you can do unless you have evidence of unfair conduct.

Rather than focusing on looking for evidence of your work being marked down or capped, instead you should ask what you can do to bring your next piece of work up. Find out what you are doing wrong. Do not under any circumstance take an accusatory approach to this.

University open days

• University of Chichester
    Multiple Departments Undergraduate
    Thu, 25 Oct '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 26 Oct '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.