Turn on thread page Beta

need some advice for gcse maths??(foundation) watch

ReputationRep:
    okay so long story short; for the whole of my secondary school education i have had supply teachers for maths andddd i know nothing. it's not that i'm dumb (though i'm not extremely smart either) because i'm fine with my other subjects like english and history etc, but with maths i am so bad like getting 12% in mocks kind of bad. exam season is approaching as you all know so is there any advice on how i can begin to start learning my maths? i kind of need a grade 4/5 (i know, sounds unlikely in my current state) so if anyone has any advice on how to get started or any websites that explain it easy etc it would be really appreciated. thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Watch youtube videos for maths. Got me from a 4 to an8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katee797)
    okay so long story short; for the whole of my secondary school education i have had supply teachers for maths andddd i know nothing. it's not that i'm dumb (though i'm not extremely smart either) because i'm fine with my other subjects like english and history etc, but with maths i am so bad like getting 12% in mocks kind of bad. exam season is approaching as you all know so is there any advice on how i can begin to start learning my maths? i kind of need a grade 4/5 (i know, sounds unlikely in my current state) so if anyone has any advice on how to get started or any websites that explain it easy etc it would be really appreciated. thanks!
    you should probably find a copy of the course notes and try learn as much as you can using that then do as many practice questions as possible

ReputationRep:
    I'm a GCSE maths tutor. A couple of questions:

How many hours revision are you doing outside college at the moment?

How are you doing your revision?

Why do you need a 4/5 and what other courses are you doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by damn daniel yeah)
    you should probably find a copy of the course notes and try learn as much as you can using that then do as many practice questions as possible
    what do you mean by course notes? where do i get those?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sceptical_John)
    I'm a GCSE maths tutor. A couple of questions:

How many hours revision are you doing outside college at the moment?

How are you doing your revision?

Why do you need a 4/5 and what other courses are you doing.
    1. I'm doing about 1 or 2 hours (i know that isn't enough but like i said i don't know where to start hence the post) out of school using the cgp foundation revision guides

2. I read the cgp book ^ and then go on youtube etc and try to answer questions in workbooks

3. I want to do politics history and english literature at a grammar school which is fine as i'm alright at english/history but i just need to get the grade 5 really, a 4 at least

ReputationRep:
    1. I'm doing about 1 or 2 hours (i know that isn't enough but like i said i don't know where to start hence the post) out of school using the cgp foundation revision guides

2. I read the cgp book ^ and then go on youtube etc and try to answer questions in workbooks

3. I want to do politics history and english literature at a grammar school which is fine as i'm alright at english/history but i just need to get the grade 5 really, a 4 at least

Ok so the revision guide is ok if you know all the stuff but it's not much use for learning. You need a textbook with questions and worked answers.

You should focus first on becoming fluent in basic concepts. Drilling and repeating what might look easy questions but until you do them easily it's not worth moving on.

Watch videos only when you're stuck. They're pretty much a waste of time otherwise.

A good site is www.mathsbot.com you can set your own questions there.

If you can get a tutor for once a week. A good one will help identify weak spots.

ReputationRep:
    what do you mean by course notes? where do i get those?
    on the exam boards website you should be able to find the exam/course specification and there should also be notes.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 15, 2018
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.