Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    describe how you would distinguish between iron (ii) sulphate, copper iodide and calcium carbonate

i'm really not sure how to approach this question- is it something to with testing for these chemicals present?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by entertainmyfaith)
    describe how you would distinguish between iron (ii) sulphate, copper iodide and calcium carbonate

i'm really not sure how to approach this question- is it something to with testing for these chemicals present?
    If you have done test tube reactions of positive or negative ions (e.g. adding sodium hydroxide, silver nitrate, barium chloride/nitrate, acid etc.) then you should be able to do it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Pigster)
    If you have done test tube reactions of positive or negative ions (e.g. adding sodium hydroxide, silver nitrate, barium chloride/nitrate, acid etc.) then you should be able to do it.
    i'm a bit confused as we haven't tested for copper iodide but silver iodide- i presume the same rule doesn't apply to it eg. iodide gives a yellow precipitate of silver iodide so it wouldn't be the same for copper iodide

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by entertainmyfaith)
    i'm a bit confused as we haven't tested for copper iodide but silver iodide- i presume the same rule doesn't apply to it eg. iodide gives a yellow precipitate of silver iodide so it wouldn't be the same for copper iodide
    I guess the plan is to get you to test for the iodide ion by the additional of silver ions, producing the yellow AgI ppt. The metal ion shouldn't matter as you are testing for the iodide ion, rather than for the metal ion.

BUT, CuI is insoluble, so you would get no reaction. My guess is that either the person setting the problem didn't think it through, or set a really rather tricky problem, for which, the only answer I can think of is to do a flame test and look for the distinctive colour of copper(I) ions.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    I guess the plan is to get you to test for the iodide ion by the additional of silver ions, producing the yellow AgI ppt. The metal ion shouldn't matter as you are testing for the iodide ion, rather than for the metal ion.

BUT, CuI is insoluble, so you would get no reaction. My guess is that either the person setting the problem didn't think it through, or set a really rather tricky problem, for which, the only answer I can think of is to do a flame test and look for the distinctive colour of copper(I) ions.
    ... "the distinctive colour of copper(I) ions"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    ... "the distinctive colour of copper(I) ions"?
    You like my irony?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    You like my irony?
    You can do my shirts any day ...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 15, 2018
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.