Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do I risk it all? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Okay so a bit of back story to this, I'm really looking for what other people would do.
    My name is Joshua, I'm 18 years old and I am the Head Boy of a small sixth form just outside of Birmingham.
    Since I was eleven, I have had a strong passion for drama, theatre and performance. I don't know why but every time I step out on stage I feel something in me that I can't replicate in any other aspect of my life. It also helps that I'm really good at drama and performance (if I do say so myself ) and I seem to stand out in performances and when writing essays. I like the theoretical side too, its the only academic thing I seem to be completely indulged in.

My school sixth form never offered drama as an a level, but there were no options near by that offered drama and would have allowed me to keep good grades in my other subjects. I know I didn't have to have a drama a level to do a degree in drama, so I went to my school sixth form and I think it has paid off considering I am doing well with my a levels and my A2 exams fast approaching in June. I have just finished my mock week today and I think for the most part the exams went well, this is definitely the most I have ever revised or cared for my exams because I can see that university is in the distance.

I have applied to university to do a degree in drama and theatre at four places and here is the offers I have received/ expect to receive.

Royal Holloway: offer of ABB, could possibly get in with BBB, applicant day 24th March
    University of Sussex: no offer yet, applicant day 17th march, not as interested in going here, likely offer of ABB but I don't like this uni as much as Royal Holloway
    Essex: Applicant/ interview day yesterday, likely offer of BBB or CCC if I put it as first choice, didn't like the uni as much as Royal Holloway but preferred it to Sussex

And this is where it gets interesting...

Warwick: went to an interview/ applicant day, the whole thing was really intense but it went really well for me and I got a high offer of AAB

So I suppose what I'm asking is what an earth should I do now?

Do I go for Warwick as my first choice and put royal Holloway as my second choice? Am I being ridiculously optimistic?
    I received BBC+ in my December mocks but have improved since then and am realistically working at BBB.
    Since my offer I have stayed after school until 5:30 everyday revising and I have even started to come in early to get in extra revision as well.

I really don't know if I'm being stupid by putting Warwick down as a first choice or if it is far too optimistic. My sister studies English Lit and French at Warwick and she's telling me not to go? I liked the sound of the course but am I being too caught up in the fact that its such a good university? should I put the leaderboards to one side and think realistically? Or should I just go for it and see if I can get in?

Ive honestly blagged myself a place, I got CDE in my mocks last year so to turn around to BBB this year is class but I just don't know if I'm the type of student that can get A grades?

Then if I put Warwick AAB and Royal Holloway ABB down then if I mess up an exam I could have to go through clearing?

God I stress so much, if you're still reading at this point I can't thank you enough. Please let me know what you think?

Anyway, do I risk it all in hope of getting in to Warwick or play it safe, put Essex first choice and enjoy my last couple of months?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Which uni do you honestly prefer, taking grades etc out of the equation? Which gave you a good feeling? I based my choice on that and I'm so glad I did, I went to a less renowned uni but loved it.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I would also look at the modules available to you at each uni... Degree subjects are broad and some unis focus on different aspects. Choose the one that makes you most excited in terms of what you'll study and the feel of the place.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly don’t know, every time I go to an applicant day or open day I tell myself thats the university for me but then every time I go to the next one I feel the same?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by 99joshuathomas)
    I honestly don’t know, every time I go to an applicant day or open day I tell myself thats the university for me but then every time I go to the next one I feel the same?
    Hi 99joshuathimas,

Congratulations on receiving an offer!

I understand that choosing your university is a big decision so I would recommend taking a look at the content of the courses as well as looking at each university as a whole to see which one would best suit your needs.

It looks like you've gotten some great advice already, but if you have any questions, please let me know. I recently graduated from Royal Holloway in Drama and Theatre Studies and absolutely loved my degree.

At Royal Holloway, the Drama and Theatre Studies course is split 50/50 between theory and practice so you have the opportunity to put what you've learned into practice. One of my favourite modules was Adaptation where my group created a physical theatre adaptation of a children's book. My tutor was incredibly supportive in helping us find our creative voice for the piece. Before I went to university, I had never devised my own piece, but it gives you the opportunity to take your source and really work with it to get a deeper understanding of it. There is also a resident theatre company in the department who teach certain modules so you have the opportunity to hear from and work with people who are working in the industry.

On top of the course work, Royal Holloway has quite a few performance societies that you can get involved with. I was a part of the Musical Theatre Society and Savoy Opera Society where I got to perform in several productions outside of my academic work. The societies rage from Shakespeare to Comedy so no matter what your preferred style is, there is something for you.

If you'd like to chat to a current Drama student, Isabella is available here and would be happy to answer any questions you have about the course, being a part of a society or anything else about Royal Holloway.

I hope this is helpful for you, but if there's anything else you'd like to know, please let me know!

Susana

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.