Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I applied to study mechanical engineering and I have offers back from Southampton, Cardiff, and Surrey so far and I'm thinking of changing to another degree as I've been having second thoughts. I've thought about changing to biomedical engineering or mechanical engineering with business finance or even economics... I know I should have thought about this earlier but can I still change courses (or more specifically, to the courses previously mentioned) and if so up until when??
    p.s. I study maths, physics, and biology

ReputationRep:
    The application deadline has now passed for 2018 intake so unfortunately if you decided to change you would have to apply again, or get in on clearing in the summer after results day. This would allow you to get together a new personal statement and whole new application for the new course. My best advice would be to speak to a curriculum advisor or teacher in school to get their help
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Paul Atreides)
    I applied to study mechanical engineering and I have offers back from Southampton, Cardiff, and Surrey so far and I'm thinking of changing to another degree as I've been having second thoughts. I've thought about changing to biomedical engineering or mechanical engineering with business finance or even economics... I know I should have thought about this earlier but can I still change courses (or more specifically, to the courses previously mentioned) and if so up until when??
    What is it that is making you have second thoughts? Have you thought about what you want to do after university?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Paul Atreides)
    I'm not aware of any MechEng courses WITH anything else*. But you will usually have some management/business modules optionally available as part of the standard MechEng course.

Do any of your universities offer the courses that you are more interested in? If so, ask now if you can change course - simply asking the question will not affect your current offer.

Also, keep in mind there's another route... you can do a BioMed MSc after a MechEng BEng. Or a Management MSc/MA.

And see below.

(Original post by r_finchy00)
    The application deadline has now passed for 2018 intake so unfortunately if you decided to change you would have to apply again, or get in on clearing in the summer after results day. This would allow you to get together a new personal statement and whole new application for the new course. My best advice would be to speak to a curriculum advisor or teacher in school to get their help
    Nope, they can reject all offers and go into UCAS Extra if they can find a suitable course (which is very likely).

Edit: *I'm wrong, there's a few MechEng WITH Management. e.g. Manchester
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If it's at the same uni you can usually just ask them to change your offer, that's what I did with mine (just weeks before I started in fact), though yes they will still need to decide whether to give you an offer for your new course. If it's something like pure mechanical to mechanical with finance then this should be straightforward, whereas going to Biomedical, particularly if it is in a different department, may take a bit longer and they're more likely to say no.

To echo what Doonesbury has said, most engineering courses will have some business/finance/management modules, e.g. I had 20 credits in third year and had the option to do a further 10 in fourth year. Changing your subject for MSc is also an option, I know a few people who graduated from my course with a BEng in engineering then went straight into a master's in management. That said, if the situation for a subject like Biomed if you take the MSc option you will likely miss out on potentially relevant content compared to if you did a Biomed MEng e.g. at Surrey you cover Tissue engineering and Computer Vision in the MEng but not in the MSc. That said, the opposite situation is true at Southampton and you get a lot more choice and study more relevant modules in the MSc compared to their MEng, so if you chose to study a BEng mechanical engineering there followed by an MSc, you wouldn't have lost that much compared to doing an MEng Biomedical there.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 16, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.