Jpearson704
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey guys im pretty new here. I really want to do a psychology undergraduate degree and i was wondering if anyone would recommend any books that could be read to gain background information on any of the topics? I mainly want to focus on reading about mental illness and the topic of psychopathology / abnormality. I really dont know if that made sense hoepfully it did. Anyways thanks in advance x
Jess990
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hiya, I’m a second year psychology student. The first book I’d really recommend is Psychopathology (2nd ed) by Davey. We use it in our clinical lectures and it covers a lot of core material.

I’d also recommend a book on Social Psychology, either by Hogg & Vaughn or Sutton & Douglas. These are core to Social Psychology, and something you will definitely study.

Possibly think about a biological psychology book, for example An Introduction to Brain and Behaviour by Kolb & Whishaw and Cognitive Psychology by Eysenck.

It’s fantastic that you’re doing some background reading! Just be aware that university core texts are usually very expensive. If you can get them from a library that would be ideal, especially as these books might not be on your university core reading list. If not, try getting them second hand from eBay or Amazon.

I hope this helps!😊
Jess990
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
One book that covers a wide range of Psychology is ‘Psychology’ by Gross, I’ve got the 7th edition and it’s handy for a brief overview of a lot of topics. It’s massive though so difficult to carry😂
Jpearson704
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Jess990)
One book that covers a wide range of Psychology is ‘Psychology’ by Gross, I’ve got the 7th edition and it’s handy for a brief overview of a lot of topics. It’s massive though so difficult to carry😂
Thanks so much!! Ill make sure to check them out ill definetely check ebay Amazon if i like the books after ive read them im a cheap skate so i wont be buying they brand new x
iammichealjackson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've got a list here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=2739866
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (41)
20.2%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (48)
23.65%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (35)
17.24%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (43)
21.18%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (20)
9.85%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
7.88%

Watched Threads