Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I have applied to study BA Spanish and Linguistics at both the University of Manchester and Lancaster University, but here's the problem. I'd be all in for accepting an offer from Lancaster if it wasn't for the Spanish side of the course - it seem super literature/film based, and though I liked reading the books at English literature GCSE, I disliked the analysing side (Eg. "How does Shakespeare show love throughout Act 2?").

Instead, I much prefer the Spanish side of the course at Manchester. But I like the campus much more at Lancaster. If this was the only issue, I'd choose Manchester - course trumps campus after all.

However, they say smaller universities (like Lancaster) do better than big city universities (like Manchester - especially since it's the largest university in the UK) and Manchester is allegedly planning to make cuts to the languages department (see: https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...s-to-languages) so is it wise to consider going there?

Additionally, I'm not very good at making friends and fear that in a massive uni like Manchester I'd end up a bit lonely, whereas in Lancaster with a collegiate system, campus and smaller student body I know I would be able to make friends a lot easier.

Any suggestions would be great as well as any current Manchester/Lancaster students willing to give their thoughts and opinions (especially what the Spanish course at Lancaster is like - is it as literature/film based as it appears on the website, since I really also want a big focus on Hispanic politics, history etc.?) on their uni, course, student life etc.

P.S. Sorry! That was a big one!

this is irrelevant to what you're asking but have you already gotten an offer from manchester? i'm only asking because i haven't gotten one yet and i'm beginning to get a bit nervous aha
How are you feeling about your exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.