Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I've received an unconditional offer from the University of Stirling for English Studies & Politics and I'm currently looking into how to apply for accommodation through the university. The information on the website about the different properties was great, but I'm still a bit confused because I'll be moving from Sweden so it's a whole new world for me.

Like, what are the most popular properties? Is it super competitive when you apply? In what kind of room do you usually end up your first year? Are studio flats not a thing you'd go for?

Because I'm going to have a decent amount of money each month and don't mind spending a bit extra on accommodation. I've been living in my own flat since I was 15 so a studio flat at uni sounds pretty great at this point, but is that even possible?

Just getting some info about that kinda stuff would be great! I don't know anyone in the area and I don't have anyone helping me with my university application either since I graduated a year ago and have been working since. And if you have any other helpful tips and trick that's more than welcome too of course!
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help

(Original post by elfiie)
    Hi!

I've received an unconditional offer from the University of Stirling for English Studies & Politics and I'm currently looking into how to apply for accommodation through the university. The information on the website about the different properties was great, but I'm still a bit confused because I'll be moving from Sweden so it's a whole new world for me.

Like, what are the most popular properties? Is it super competitive when you apply? In what kind of room do you usually end up your first year? Are studio flats not a thing you'd go for?

Because I'm going to have a decent amount of money each month and don't mind spending a bit extra on accommodation. I've been living in my own flat since I was 15 so a studio flat at uni sounds pretty great at this point, but is that even possible?

Just getting some info about that kinda stuff would be great! I don't know anyone in the area and I don't have anyone helping me with my university application either since I graduated a year ago and have been working since. And if you have any other helpful tips and trick that's more than welcome too of course!
    I'm Italian (but lived one year in Skåne and know Swedish, hej!) and starting History & Journalism in September.
    I kind of know your struggle, since I've been living on my own since four years now and would rather live in a studio room. Actually I'm 99% convinced of living in Glasgow: there I have a person to share living expenses with, and I found a student private hall with nice studios at affordable price, right in front of Queen Street station, where trains for Stirling leave. I think I'll go for that
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hey there,

I work in student accommodation and I did a Masters in Stirling so I may be able to help you here.

For first year students, and particularly those coming from far afield like yourself, student accommodation owned by the university usually isn't super competitive if you apply early through the university website. First years tend to go for shared flats where they are able to meet lots of people. However, depending on your age, you might want to go for a studio flat. I know in Glasgow there are lots of options of studio flats from private accommodation providers but I'm not exactly sure about Stirling.

In Stirling will also be private student accommodation which is accommodation that is purpose built for students and you need to be a student to live there, however, it is not owned by the university like the properties I describe above. These are extremely common in university towns. The company I work for, Fresh Student Living, is an example of this.

Both university owned and private student halls tend to be the most popular option for first year students.

Halls of these types allow you to meet people quickly, often include bills in the rent so make money management a bit easier and if you have the extra cash you can get something really new and nice with lots of great amenities.

Another option is to rent a flat privately through a landlord/letting agent that is not in any way affiliated with students. This is the most common option for students after first year. This can be a lot cheaper but probably won't come with the extras of the best student halls e.g. en-suite bathrooms. However, they will look less like hotels/identikit than student halls because they aren't purpose built. If you are coming from far away I would be wary of this as I would always recommend viewing a property from a letting agent/landlord and often you cannot sign a lease without doing so. Student halls, because of the nature of who needs them, won't have this requirement.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Lilith

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 19, 2018

University open days

1. University of Stirling
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  2. University of Stirling
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Oct '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.