Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I will graduate in July and just wanted opinions on whether I should go to the ceremony or not? I found the course really tough as it was a subject I had no prior knowledge in so this feels like a big achievement for me! Problem is my dad says why bother and my classmates graduate in December so it will be with people I don't know.

Does graduating in absentia feel the same? It's the same fee either way but gown hire and photography is quite pricey but I could always get the cheapest photography available.

I was excited for it but now I have doubts whether it'll be the right thing to do and I need advice please.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by JAZZA007)
    Hi

I will graduate in July and just wanted opinions on whether I should go to the ceremony or not? I found the course really tough as it was a subject I had no prior knowledge in so this feels like a big achievement for me! Problem is my dad says why bother and my classmates graduate in December so it will be with people I don't know.

Does graduating in absentia feel the same? It's the same fee either way but gown hire and photography is quite pricey but I could always get the cheapest photography available.

I was excited for it but now I have doubts whether it'll be the right thing to do and I need advice please.
    While you have a sense of achievement and it is a day to celebrate you don't have to do it. I enjoyed my undergrad one with friends from my course and my mum and my PhD one with just my family so it really depends on what you make of the day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    While you have a sense of achievement and it is a day to celebrate you don't have to do it. I enjoyed my undergrad one with friends from my course and my mum and my PhD one with just my family so it really depends on what you make of the day.
    Thanks- good advice Still have til April to decide either way

ReputationRep:
    You don't need advice, you just need to make a decision yourself. Are you going to ask the internet each time you have a choice to make?

FWIW you're right to feel proud about your achievement and your dad sounds like an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    In ten years time you'll have completely forgotten any costs, but you might regret not going to your graduation ceremony. It's pretty crap of your dad to have that attitude to be honest.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Hi

Often these things are more for your parents.
    Considering the cost and effort then whether you go is a tiny % of the overall cost. Weigh up the pros and cons.

Can you just confirm attendance if its no cost and then bail later after the exams if you change your mind?

If you feel a sense of achievement, then whether your parents or friends are there s less important than what you think about it. You worked hard? When you look back in years to come then maybe youd wished youd gone or alternatively if you do go and it was rubbish at least you didnt miss out on anything?

I've had the whole range.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    You don't need advice, you just need to make a decision yourself. Are you going to ask the internet each time you have a choice to make?

Don't fly off the deep end- I know it's my choice to make but I felt conflicted. Of course I won't go to the internet every time I have a choice!- what a ridiculous thing to say

FWIW you're right to feel proud about your achievement and your dad sounds like an idiot.
    Thanks for the end bit- that was nice and supportive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurlyBen)
    In ten years time you'll have completely forgotten any costs, but you might regret not going to your graduation ceremony. It's pretty crap of your dad to have that attitude to be honest.
    I agree with you Ben - feel the same about my dad's attitude! I think i'd still enjoy the day especially if I can get extra tickets for my old classmates

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Often these things are more for your parents.
    Considering the cost and effort then whether you go is a tiny % of the overall cost. Weigh up the pros and cons.

Can you just confirm attendance if its no cost and then bail later after the exams if you change your mind?

If you feel a sense of achievement, then whether your parents or friends are there s less important than what you think about it. You worked hard? When you look back in years to come then maybe youd wished youd gone or alternatively if you do go and it was rubbish at least you didnt miss out on anything?

I've had the whole range.
    Yeah there are pros and cons to going and not going. Ultimately- what I think matters most though (your right) and I did work hard
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Yeah there are pros and cons to going and not going. Ultimately- what I think matters most though (your right) and I did work hard
    In that case my preference would be to go, because you are going for you.

Ignore the nay sayers.

Save the money and treat yourself t a nice meal on the day plus take videos etc. You can always get strangers to take digital pictures even if you dont want the official portraits.

My point is by going you only lose a bit of money.

If you dont go and arent sure then in later years you could regret it, but you cant get the chance of that memory back again, but you will earn more money in the future. It might be a nice way to finish it for you and at least you dont have the unknown of should you have gone. Even if its not that great at least you know. Try looking at one of the graduation ceremony videos and see if it appeals? there will be other students who are delayed? maybe you could advertise and hook up with them who will also be without friends etc. have a meal , have a laugh and give everyone else the finger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    In that case my preference would be to go, because you are going for you.

Ignore the nay sayers.

Save the money and treat yourself t a nice meal on the day plus take videos etc. You can always get strangers to take digital pictures even if you dont want the official portraits.

My point is by going you only lose a bit of money.

If you dont go and arent sure then in later years you could regret it, but you cant get the chance of that memory back again, but you will earn more money in the future. It might be a nice way to finish it for you and at least you dont have the unknown of should you have gone. Even if its not that great at least you know. Try looking at one of the graduation ceremony videos and see if it appeals? there will be other students who are delayed? maybe you could advertise and hook up with them who will also be without friends etc. have a meal , have a laugh and give everyone else the finger.
    Thanks- good tips. This is my last time going to university so my last time to do a proper graduation ceremony and as it is only a bit more money I'm definitely going! Looking forward to July now! Roll on April when I can book the gown, photography, tickets!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Thanks- good tips. This is my last time going to university so my last time to do a proper graduation ceremony and as it is only a bit more money I'm definitely going! Looking forward to July now! Roll on April when I can book the gown, photography, tickets!
    Good for you, its only a bit of money compared to never having the chance to revisit again.

I would suggest advertising for any other people who are going late and then have a meal with them. There will be others like you. If you have good memories, then go for it and it obviously seems like you have an attachment and you worked hard for it. Take video if you can.

Never let other people rain on your parade. Hope it goes well.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.