Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am bit confused on the matter of jobs and employment when it comes to the coming summer, I have been reading that firms don't really do internships for students who are 1st-year undergraduates, could someone please clear this up for me. What kind of work should I be doing then in the 1st year, talking to a lot of colleagues they do not seem so concerned over it, I just don't want to fall behind in terms of competitiveness?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by TastyChicken)
    I am bit confused on the matter of jobs and employment when it comes to the coming summer, I have been reading that firms don't really do internships for students who are 1st-year undergraduates, could someone please clear this up for me. What kind of work should I be doing then in the 1st year, talking to a lot of colleagues they do not seem so concerned over it, I just don't want to fall behind in terms of competitiveness?
    Not necessarily full-blown "internships", but spring/insight weeks within IB companies (e.g. with their technology division) are fairly common judging from what I've seen so far as a first-year.

Skyscanner, Sumdog and other tech companies do have programmes for first-years as well.

Are you studying Geography by any chance? BP do have some stuff going on for first-years by the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    Not necessarily full-blown "internships", but spring weeks within IB companies (e.g. with their technology division) are fairly common judging from what I've seen so far as a first-year.

Skyscanner, Sumdog and other tech companies do have programmes for first-years as well.

Are you studying Geography by any chance? BP do have some stuff going on for first-years by the way.
    I'm studying Geo with Econ at LSE.

ReputationRep:
    Not necessarily full-blown "internships", but spring weeks within IB companies (e.g. with their technology division) are fairly common judging from what I've seen so far as a first-year.

It seems like I am a bit late with this and I don't know whether I would even receive anything, I'm going to talk to my advisor about it, I just hope that what I do now affects my chances in the long run
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by TastyChicken)
    It seems like I am a bit late with this and I don't know whether I would even receive anything, I'm going to talk to my advisor about it, I just hope that what I do know effects my chances in the long run
    Yeah. A lot of schemes had their deadlines set for January or even before that.

It shouldn't have a big impact on your career chances. You're at the LSE, so you have access to a wealth of contacts and opportunities available to you when it comes to finding internships/summer jobs etc.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. A lot of schemes had their deadlines set for January or even before that.

It shouldn't have a big impact on your career chances. You're at the LSE, so you have access to a wealth of contacts and opportunities available to you when it comes to finding internships/summer jobs etc.
    I hope it isn't such a big deal, I'm really focusing on my degree now anyway, really aiming to get a first, thanks though for the thoughts.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.