Turn on thread page Beta

Do students in their first year of University do internships? watch

ReputationRep:
    I am bit confused on the matter of jobs and employment when it comes to the coming summer, I have been reading that firms don't really do internships for students who are 1st-year undergraduates, could someone please clear this up for me. What kind of work should I be doing then in the 1st year, talking to a lot of colleagues they do not seem so concerned over it, I just don't want to fall behind in terms of competitiveness?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by TastyChicken)
    I am bit confused on the matter of jobs and employment when it comes to the coming summer, I have been reading that firms don't really do internships for students who are 1st-year undergraduates, could someone please clear this up for me. What kind of work should I be doing then in the 1st year, talking to a lot of colleagues they do not seem so concerned over it, I just don't want to fall behind in terms of competitiveness?
    Not necessarily full-blown "internships", but spring/insight weeks within IB companies (e.g. with their technology division) are fairly common judging from what I've seen so far as a first-year.

Skyscanner, Sumdog and other tech companies do have programmes for first-years as well.

Are you studying Geography by any chance? BP do have some stuff going on for first-years by the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    Not necessarily full-blown "internships", but spring weeks within IB companies (e.g. with their technology division) are fairly common judging from what I've seen so far as a first-year.

Skyscanner, Sumdog and other tech companies do have programmes for first-years as well.

Are you studying Geography by any chance? BP do have some stuff going on for first-years by the way.
    I'm studying Geo with Econ at LSE.

ReputationRep:
    Not necessarily full-blown "internships", but spring weeks within IB companies (e.g. with their technology division) are fairly common judging from what I've seen so far as a first-year.

It seems like I am a bit late with this and I don't know whether I would even receive anything, I'm going to talk to my advisor about it, I just hope that what I do now affects my chances in the long run
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by TastyChicken)
    It seems like I am a bit late with this and I don't know whether I would even receive anything, I'm going to talk to my advisor about it, I just hope that what I do know effects my chances in the long run
    Yeah. A lot of schemes had their deadlines set for January or even before that.

It shouldn't have a big impact on your career chances. You're at the LSE, so you have access to a wealth of contacts and opportunities available to you when it comes to finding internships/summer jobs etc.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. A lot of schemes had their deadlines set for January or even before that.

It shouldn't have a big impact on your career chances. You're at the LSE, so you have access to a wealth of contacts and opportunities available to you when it comes to finding internships/summer jobs etc.
    I hope it isn't such a big deal, I'm really focusing on my degree now anyway, really aiming to get a first, thanks though for the thoughts.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2018
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.