Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've got an offer and I'm wondering what are the rules for bringing visitors in the college, and if this changes if they are oxford students

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AHappyStudent)
    I've got an offer and I'm wondering what are the rules for bringing visitors in the college, and if this changes if they are oxford students
    What exactly do you need to know? I think the typical situation is that you are allowed to bring a handful of visitors into college. If there are more than a certain number (say, 8), it will be deemed a "party" and you may be required to get formal permission and/or book one of the college's function rooms rather than use your own room.

Most colleges allow one overnight guest in your room for a restricted number of nights per term. How strictly this is enforced varies depending on the college - and your scout. For other overnight guests, you are expected to book a separate room, at your expense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OxFossil)
    What exactly do you need to know? I think the typical situation is that you are allowed to bring a handful of visitors into college. If there are more than a certain number (say, 8), it will be deemed a "party" and you may be required to get formal permission and/or book one of the college's function rooms rather than use your own room.

Most colleges allow one overnight guest in your room for a restricted number of nights per term. How strictly this is enforced varies depending on the college - and your scout. For other overnight guests, you are expected to book a separate room, at your expense.
    Thanks, I was just wondering if its okay to bring 1 or 2 people in occasionally

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you've not been sent to prison! If you want them to eat in hall with you, you'll have to sign them in and it will go onto your termly bill (battels)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yes of course.

ReputationRep:
    Varies by college, but I've had friends come over, eat in hall with me and crash in my room, no problem
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Our students frequently bring in guests (both Oxford and non-Oxford students) partly because we are so central and partly because our food/catering is very popular.

Its a good idea to introduce reguar visitors to the Porter's - we have a low-profile approach to security (students don't, for example, wear id badges) but do have to be on the look out for opportunistic thieves. Knowing who is a visitor helps with this.

The only other thing to bear in mind is that students are responsible for the behaviour of guests on site.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.