Turn on thread page Beta

Medicine Course watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi is anyone currently taking medicine? I've been told by everyone that its practically impossible to even get a place at medical school and if you do make it you end up with loads of student debt and working long shifts. What is it like realistically?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Ri012345)
    Hi is anyone currently taking medicine? I've been told by everyone that its practically impossible to even get a place at medical school and if you do make it you end up with loads of student debt and working long shifts. What is it like realistically?
    It's hard to get a place, yes.

There is a lot of student debt, yes.

Working long shifts as a junior doctor, yes.

When you get more senior it gets slightly better.

Is it worth it in the end? Definitely.

ReputationRep:
    Hi is anyone currently taking medicine? I've been told by everyone that its practically impossible to even get a place at medical school
    There's a whole forum of us

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=195

It's not practically impossible, there are approximately 8000 places available at medical schools in the UK and this year there were 19,210 applicants.

https://www.ucas.com/file/79436/down...ken%3DxK6EjMvM

and if you do make it you end up with loads of student debt and working long shifts. What is it like realistically?
    Yes, realistically there are a lot of long shifts. That's actually not the most difficult/annoying thing about the job though(!)

What do you specifically want to know?

ReputationRep:
    In medicine you do what you like and that's what matters, I chose medicine because I don't see myself doing anything else: if it's the same for you, then everything else is background noise

I'm obviously talking about the UK here:
    I should say that you will find yourself studying more than everyone else. This will begin even before college, you will have to do work experience, volunteering, UKCAT/BMAT and all the kind which your classmates won't have to do. Academics are high and demanding, and medicine is filled with very clever people in a very competitive setting.
    It is also true that most people applying to other usually get 4/5 offers, for medics you would be lucky to get 2, if not one at all.
    Student debt is fine because you should also earn more than most people. It also comes with the perk that you are basically assured employment.

I remember one of my teachers saying this:
    "It is often the case that medics mostly surround themselves with medic friendships, this is because most people just don't understand the stress"

Realistically medicine (at least for junior docs) is a very sucky career in terms work conditions, the only thing it has going for it in real terms is money, employment and status.
    It is also true that we choose medicine because the science is fascinating, we like the responsibility of patient care, we honestly want to help others and we just can't wait to be called "Doctors".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)

It's not practically impossible, there are approximately 8000 places available at medical schools in the UK and this year there were 19,210 applicants.

https://www.ucas.com/file/79436/down...ken%3DxK6EjMvM

Yes, realistically there are a lot of long shifts. That's actually not the most difficult/annoying thing about the job though(!)

What do you specifically want to know?
    Thank you, I want to know the realistic chances of getting a place in medical school and how I could increase my chances if possible?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thank you, I want to know the realistic chances of getting a place in medical school and how I could increase my chances if possible?
    You need to give us more information about your academic background. Perhaps a thread over at the Medicine forum (that @democracy linked) is in order?
    You will need work experience, good A-Level grades (predicted and achieved) and a good UKCAT score to secure an interview. You will need to perform well at the interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tremen222)
    In medicine you do what you like and that's what matters, I chose medicine because I don't see myself doing anything else: if it's the same for you, then everything else is background noise

I'm obviously talking about the UK here:
    I should say that you will find yourself studying more than everyone else. This will begin even before college, you will have to do work experience, volunteering, UKCAT/BMAT and all the kind which your classmates won't have to do. Academics are high and demanding, and medicine is filled with very clever people in a very competitive setting.
    It is also true that most people applying to other usually get 4/5 offers, for medics you would be lucky to get 2, if not one at all.
    Student debt is fine because you should also earn more than most people. It also comes with the perk that you are basically assured employment.

I remember one of my teachers saying this:
    "It is often the case that medics mostly surround themselves with medic friendships, this is because most people just don't understand the stress"

Realistically medicine (at least for junior docs) is a very sucky career in terms work conditions, the only thing it has going for it in real terms is money, employment and status.
    It is also true that we choose medicine because the science is fascinating, we like the responsibility of patient care, we honestly want to help others and we just can't wait to be called "Doctors".
    Thank you, I have to work to get my grades unlike others in my class who don't have to revise to get the grades. But I really don't think of doing anything else and hope everything works out.

ReputationRep:
    What stage are you currently at (GCSEs? A levels?) and what have you done up til now to find out more about a career in medicine?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Democracy)

:yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ecolier)
    You need to give us more information about your academic background. Perhaps a thread over at the Medicine forum (that @democracy linked) is in order?
    You will need work experience, good A-Level grades (predicted and achieved) and a good UKCAT score to secure an interview. You will need to perform well at the interview.
    I'm currently doing GCSE's and have already done two early, French and History and got both A's.
    English Language and Literature - predicted 8's
    Maths - predicated 7
    Biology - predicted 8
    Chemistry - predicted 8
    Physics - predicted 7
    Business Studies - predicated 8
    I have done some work experience in an animal shelter during the summer and the library and currently have been doing volunteering by helping younger kids in my school with reading. I am planning to do some work experince this summer in our local hospital hopefully.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.