Turn on thread page Beta

The media has portrayed a killer of 17 innocent people as a victim! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erratic_deus)
    He is a white supremacist!!!!!!!!

Nikolas Cruz wanted to be a 'professional school shooter', attended white supremacist training schools and had a twisted obsession for guns and hurting animals
    Someone with the name Cruz sounds more hispanic to me. how could he be a white supremacist ? Also as he shot mostly white people how is that white suprematism ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    I mean yeah it is pretty obvious that only white people can join white supremacist groups, next you will be telling me that black supremacist groups dont want to have white people in their groups or that radical muslim terrorists dont want to have christians in their group, this is not even an argument as what do white people get out of these groups, nothing but bad things it isnt exactly some elite membership to a whites only club it is a one way pass to death and misery for you and others around you.

yeah if you told me that someone didnt enlist to a 'posh' university because they thought it was above them I would understand there are plenty of white people that are in that situation where they are not 'posh' enough to join or atleast they dont think they are, these people need to man up and make their own decisions it is their fault if they do not try to get in if they reasonably could.

Yes affermative action is doing really well at being racist and giving black people advantages over white people, your whole conversation about how white killers are portrayed as innocent victims whilst black killers are evil monsters is totally insane, they are just stating the fact, and why when a black guy is killed by a cop or another white guy it is on the news and everyone is crying racism yet when one of the thousands of black on black deaths happens no one cares to sort out the systematic problems within black communities and the black people are always portrayed as innocent kids that were doing so well and could never be in a gang and the shooting could never have been justified.

It is just another incident of black people playing the race card to try and get out of things
    You must be bitter.

The only reason AA exists is because every single elite university has been guilty in the past of admitting white students or holding a social stigma against BAME students. (It's also spelt affirmative).
    Furthermore, white people whether or not they admit it have benefited from their ancestors being racist.
    The founding families in America used to kill black people and native Americans on sight! This is how they acquired large masses of land!
    The descendants of those racists still live in those beautiful houses built by black slaves and benefit from the privileges founding families across America get!
    This happens in the UK too, the peerage system and the order of the British empire enables what used to be racist to become "accepted" or even "adored". White people in the UK feel honored to be part of the racist British empire which went around Africa, India and all over trying to "civilize" the primitive ethnic minorities.
    They also committed massacres along the way if they didn't get the gold they wanted.
    Today, Queen Elizabeth still wears the rubies and gold that her ancestors unlawfully stole from India and South Africa.

To me, if you're white and you want to get somewhere. Nothing is stopping you. I'm black, I live in a council-funded estate and even though I've done really "well" in education, this doesn't mean other black people could follow suit.
    I recognize that I also have some white privilege in society. My hair is socially acceptable (e.g I have loose curls), my nose is slimmer and longer "more beautiful in society since it is a feature whites have", I also have almond shaped eyes (R1B phenotype) and essentially as a racially ambiguous person I wholeheartedly choose to be black because even though most black people wouldn't necessarily consider (and they don't) east Africans as black. I go through life as a black girl and I'm faced with such consequences from being a black girl.

There also aren't any black supremacist groups operating today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cod3tte)
    If it isn't a thing, then why is it every time a person of colour does something like this, he is deemed a terrorist, but a white person is labelled "mentally ill"?

Why did the media not call Darren Osborn a terrorist, his intention was to kill Muslims. Or that man who shot black people in a church in America, he clearly stated he wanted to start a race war, yet oh no, he's not a terrorist! He's mentally ill!
    They did.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018...e-brainwashed/

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...osborne-jailed

https://news.sky.com/story/finsbury-...years-11233375

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...nces-name.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a8190316.html

A quick google search will reveal multiple media outlets calling Dylann Roof, the Charlston shooter a terrorist too. This notion that white people are never labelled 'terrorists', is entirely in your head.

I will also point out that the media also talked at great lengths about the mental health problems of the Nice attacker (who was a Tunisian Muslim).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ly-attack.html

https://www.rt.com/news/351637-nice-...y-psychiatric/

https://edition.cnn.com/2016/07/17/w...why/index.html

ReputationRep:
    You don't need a motive.
    He caused terror to 17 innocent people and families. Not to mention everyone else at the scene.
    Therefore he is a terrorist.
    This person would need to have some sort of political/religious aim if he was ever a terrorist.

The investigation is still on going but there some indication that he did have a political aim as he was part of a white supremecist group.
    We just need to wait for him to give us a reason to why he commited this atrocity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reiji)
    Someone with the name Cruz sounds more hispanic to me. how could he be a white supremacist ? Also as he shot mostly white people how is that white suprematism ?
    He's a member of the white race.
    Hispanic isn't a race and never will be.

ReputationRep:
    He's a member of the white race.
    Hispanic isn't a race and never will be.
    Well, isn't race a social construct and we are all one race ? I'm confused one moment race doesn't exist the next the white race exists.

Assuming he is a white supremacist why did he kill only white people ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrDystopia)
    We don't, as far as I know his motive hasn't been revealed yet. Hence why I said it's best to wait before jumping to conclusions.
    Being a member of a dodgy group is normally enough isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the beer)
    Being a member of a dodgy group is normally enough isn't it?
    Depends if you want the truth or to jump to the easiest conclusion. I think it’s owed to the victims to find out why this happened.

If this crime was racially motivated, why did he shoot mostly white people? I’m not saying it’s not possible, but all possible motives should be looked into rather than saying “he was in a white supremacist group so the attack must have been about white supremacism”.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cat_mac)
    Depends if you want the truth or to jump to the easiest conclusion. I think it’s owed to the victims to find out why this happened.

If this crime was racially motivated, why did he shoot mostly white people? I’m not saying it’s not possible, but all possible motives should be looked into rather than saying “he was in a white supremacist group so the attack must have been about white supremacism”.
    Sure, a welcome change maybe, just not the normal approach.

ReputationRep:
    They shouldn't mention the private life of any of these sick individuals. Keep that for the FBI and mental health experts. The public should only be allowed to know the basic motives of the killer: don't go into detail, don't say his specific plans, dont say his end goal, don't say which groups he was linked to. If he's a Muslim terrorist, say that. If he's a white supremacist terrorist, say that. When you go into detail with their plans, use catchy news titles, show their weapons, and show their faces on the News constantly, there people will be inspired by them and see it as a desirable thing which it is NOT. Focus on the victims, not the criminal.

ReputationRep:
    You must be bitter.

The only reason AA exists is because every single elite university has been guilty in the past of admitting white students or holding a social stigma against BAME students. (It's also spelt affirmative).
    Furthermore, white people whether or not they admit it have benefited from their ancestors being racist.
    The founding families in America used to kill black people and native Americans on sight! This is how they acquired large masses of land!
    The descendants of those racists still live in those beautiful houses built by black slaves and benefit from the privileges founding families across America get!
    This happens in the UK too, the peerage system and the order of the British empire enables what used to be racist to become "accepted" or even "adored". White people in the UK feel honored to be part of the racist British empire which went around Africa, India and all over trying to "civilize" the primitive ethnic minorities.
    They also committed massacres along the way if they didn't get the gold they wanted.
    Today, Queen Elizabeth still wears the rubies and gold that her ancestors unlawfully stole from India and South Africa.

To me, if you're white and you want to get somewhere. Nothing is stopping you. I'm black, I live in a council-funded estate and even though I've done really "well" in education, this doesn't mean other black people could follow suit.
    I recognize that I also have some white privilege in society. My hair is socially acceptable (e.g I have loose curls), my nose is slimmer and longer "more beautiful in society since it is a feature whites have", I also have almond shaped eyes (R1B phenotype) and essentially as a racially ambiguous person I wholeheartedly choose to be black because even though most black people wouldn't necessarily consider (and they don't) east Africans as black. I go through life as a black girl and I'm faced with such consequences from being a black girl.

There also aren't any black supremacist groups operating today.
    Yes in the past they have, does not mean we need to make up for that, the past is the past.

Sure some of us have benefited but do not forget that there have been plenty of poor white people that were basically slaves who worked just as hard and in the exact same conditions as black slaves, being white has not and is not a free pass to succes.

The whole Idea of blaming us now and blaming white people for colonialism and taking over land is a pretty backwards idea, pretty much every nation that has ever existed has either done tried or wanted to gain land, wanted to kill their enemies, even if this was just one african tribe fighting another for control of a small area of land or the mongolians creating devistation and a massive empire to even the British Empire, we just did this more successfully as we were more advanced and had the logistics to, the trouble with giving stuff back is that where does everyone stop, should france give us back calais and the land we owned? france would say it is theirs, you can see how it could snowball into a massive problem.

Oh please plenty of white people are in positions where doing 'well' is very hard and just as hard as these poor black people, and lucky you, you live in a council estate payed for by a majority white group of taxpayers.

The BLM movement still goes on in America

ReputationRep:
    Yes in the past they have, does not mean we need to make up for that, the past is the past.

Sure some of us have benefited but do not forget that there have been plenty of poor white people that were basically slaves who worked just as hard and in the exact same conditions as black slaves, being white has not and is not a free pass to succes.

The whole Idea of blaming us now and blaming white people for colonialism and taking over land is a pretty backwards idea, pretty much every nation that has ever existed has either done tried or wanted to gain land, wanted to kill their enemies, even if this was just one african tribe fighting another for control of a small area of land or the mongolians creating devistation and a massive empire to even the British Empire, we just did this more successfully as we were more advanced and had the logistics to, the trouble with giving stuff back is that where does everyone stop, should france give us back calais and the land we owned? france would say it is theirs, you can see how it could snowball into a massive problem.

Oh please plenty of white people are in positions where doing 'well' is very hard and just as hard as these poor black people, and lucky you, you live in a council estate payed for by a majority white group of taxpayers.

The BLM movement still goes on in America
    Black lives matter is not a supremacist group.
    I'm part of black lives matter and so are millions of others.

ReputationRep:
    I count a group that has plenty of members saying "death to white cops" and other things like that as supremacist and a hate group, although some just call themselves blm supporters because they think it makes them progressive

ReputationRep:
    Lol, I'm gonna say this again. A person of colour commits an act as such he is deemed a terrorist. Yet white people are "mentally ill". Are they heck!

No one's excusing him of doing anything bad and being a mass murderer, he's just not fully confirmed of being a terrorist as his motives aren't definitely known. And those certain people of colour you're referring to, if they were regarded as terrorists, it means they caused damage due to a fully known political or religious motive. If there is a case if someone was labelled a terrorist incorrectly, please link that case.

ReputationRep:
    I count a group that has plenty of members saying "death to white cops" and other things like that as supremacist and a hate group, although some just call themselves blm supporters because they think it makes them progressive
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016...rs#Perpetrator

Like this guy? Nobody called him a terrorist and his aim was to kill white People.

ReputationRep:
    First of all why are ethnic minority offenders not getting any of these nice power points displayed on national television about what they're missing in their lives.

He was a member of a white supremacist group and he killed 17 innocent people and shot several others. This is what we need to know and this is what he should be sentenced on!

Also, I'm autistic, I've been bullied before and I don't have a father but I'm not going to go and shoot anyone for my own problems! I'm not a victim! I have morals and common sense and I am very empathetic.

He is a white male terrorist and needs to be portrayed as such!
    Firstly, could you provide a source for his connection to a white supremacist group.

Also if you're so keen to go after people who share qualities with him, should we round up all autistic people too?

ReputationRep:
    I find it very interesting when people talk about white people never being described as terrorists. I'm a few years older than most on here, and when I was growing up if someone was asked to describe a typical terrorist they'd say white, male and with an Irish accent.

Every society has enslaved people at some point. African slaves were bought by European and American slave traders from the African slave traders who already had an established business. Indeed the European and American slave trade forced the Barbary (North African) slavers to look further afield for slaves to sell to the markets they had prior to the Atlantic Slave Trade - to Europe. Records don't exist, but estimates that as many as 1.25 million white Europeans were captured and enslaved in Africa. They were treated so brutally that many didn't survive long enough to have descendants, which is part of the reason we rarely hear about them. Clearly, this doesn't excuse slavery, but to consider white people as somehow uniquely bad is to show ignorance of history.

(Original post by Reiji)
    CNN started talking about gun control a few hours after it happened, who is politicizing it is the liberal media.
    Given that America has averaged a school shooting every 3 days this year, how long would you suggest is appropriate to wait before discussing gun control?

ReputationRep:
    There are black supremacist groups in America

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36766437

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by looloo2134)
    There are black supremacist groups in America

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36766437
    How very interesting. Bet the OP will ignore this somehow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurlyBen)
    I find it very interesting when people talk about white people never being described as terrorists. I'm a few years older than most on here, and when I was growing up if someone was asked to describe a typical terrorist they'd say white, male and with an Irish accent.

Every society has enslaved people at some point. African slaves were bought by European and American slave traders from the African slave traders who already had an established business. Indeed the European and American slave trade forced the Barbary (North African) slavers to look further afield for slaves to sell to the markets they had prior to the Atlantic Slave Trade - to Europe. Records don't exist, but estimates that as many as 1.25 million white Europeans were captured and enslaved in Africa. They were treated so brutally that many didn't survive long enough to have descendants, which is part of the reason we rarely hear about them. Clearly, this doesn't excuse slavery, but to consider white people as somehow uniquely bad is to show ignorance of history.

Given that America has averaged a school shooting every 3 days this year, how long would you suggest is appropriate to wait before discussing gun control?
    Exactly, I’m pretty sure Gerry Adams and Martin Mcguiness (along with the Ira) were described as being terrorists.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.