Turn on thread page Beta

Full-Time Contract or Zero-Hours Contract? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    It's been difficult for me to find employment after graduating, and I found myself working in this job in order to make some money and gain some work experience. Thing is, this job wasn't what I thought it was. I never would have applied for it if I didn't need it as it isn't suited to me at all. The job in theory should be easy, however, I feel very pressured in this certain environment as there are many targets to hit, and they keep a very close eye on you and your work.

Before this, I always thought that I could do it. As in the whole thing where I get any full-time job and then continue to search for other jobs that I really like and want to do. But I never realised how exhausted I would be after a full day, and I end up getting home at 7pm, make and eat something, and then before I know it, it's time for bed ready to start the next day already.

I'm at a point now where I have to choose between continuing this full-time for definite or choose a zero-hours contract and I don't know what to do. As silly as this may sound, I worry about my mental health at this rate. I hardly get to talk to people at work since everyone is at their desks doing their own work and there's hardly any job satisfaction. I'm scared of being pushed over the edge - I don't want to know what happens when it gets to that point. And yet at the same time, I worry about my CV and career. I worry that a zero-hours contract won't appear good, and I don't want my future employer to be thinking I'm not hard-working because I didn't opt for a full-time job simply because "I didn't like it".

I can't explain how miserable I feel about all of this. I don't even know how this appears to everyone else as I suppose, deep down, I know I really should do full-time just as my family is pushing me to do as well. I guess what I'm trying to ask is, is all of this worth the sacrifice? Is forcing myself to do this worth it all in order to get somewhere?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by jenny07)
    Perhaps you need to look at why you can't cope with a full time job when that's the norm for adult life. If you haven't got a disability that makes you excessively tired, why can't you cope? If it's just that this specific job is wrong for you, then plan what you want to do next that fits your skill set, and apply for them, then quit this job when you've got somewhere to go to.

Do some maths about your finances and consider the long-term implications of never working full-time. You will have to seriously limit your horizons unless you can marry money!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by jenny07)
    It's been difficult for me to find employment after graduating, and I found myself working in this job in order to make some money and gain some work experience. Thing is, this job wasn't what I thought it was. I never would have applied for it if I didn't need it as it isn't suited to me at all. The job in theory should be easy, however, I feel very pressured in this certain environment as there are many targets to hit, and they keep a very close eye on you and your work.

Before this, I always thought that I could do it. As in the whole thing where I get any full-time job and then continue to search for other jobs that I really like and want to do. But I never realised how exhausted I would be after a full day, and I end up getting home at 7pm, make and eat something, and then before I know it, it's time for bed ready to start the next day already.

I'm at a point now where I have to choose between continuing this full-time for definite or choose a zero-hours contract and I don't know what to do. As silly as this may sound, I worry about my mental health at this rate. I hardly get to talk to people at work since everyone is at their desks doing their own work and there's hardly any job satisfaction. I'm scared of being pushed over the edge - I don't want to know what happens when it gets to that point. And yet at the same time, I worry about my CV and career. I worry that a zero-hours contract won't appear good, and I don't want my future employer to be thinking I'm not hard-working because I didn't opt for a full-time job simply because "I didn't like it".

I can't explain how miserable I feel about all of this. I don't even know how this appears to everyone else as I suppose, deep down, I know I really should do full-time just as my family is pushing me to do as well. I guess what I'm trying to ask is, is all of this worth the sacrifice? Is forcing myself to do this worth it all in order to get somewhere?
    It is normal to feel like that as you may have never worked before, especially after graduating.
    That is why employers are looking for people who are (possibly experienced) but mainly with personality who can handle the pressures of a full time role.
    On your CV you may not need to state what type of contract you were doing, unless it was actually a temporary role.
    You are still young (I assume?) but please believe me, once you get the hard bit of the job done it will be all worth it! :yes:

I used to be in your position at first after graduation.
    Like yourself, I hated my first full time job long hours along with the long commutes. But then I thought about the benefits and just stuck at it until another job came along and it did pay off in the end. :yes:

In your situation, some would advise you and say go whatever you feel comfortable.
    However in my opinion and saying from personal and professional experience, what I will say is that a zero hours contract will not do any favours for yourself as the main downside to it is that you are not guaranteed any hours - and any work for that matter. :no:
    Therefore my advice is to either look for something else, stick at your current job until you find something better or go with zero (and dead end) hours contract.

May I ask how long you have been at your current job?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by BritishGirl)
    It is normal to feel like that as you may have never worked before, especially after graduating.
    That is why employers are looking for people who are (possibly experienced) but mainly with personality who can handle the pressures of a full time role.
    On your CV you may not need to state what type of contract you were doing, unless it was actually a temporary role.
    You are still young (I assume?) but please believe me, once you get the hard bit of the job done it will be all worth it! :yes:

I used to be in your position at first after graduation.
    Like yourself, I hated my first full time job long hours along with the long commutes. But then I thought about the benefits and just stuck at it until another job came along and it did pay off in the end. :yes:

In your situation, some would advise you and say go whatever you feel comfortable.
    However in my opinion and saying from personal and professional experience, what I will say is that a zero hours contract will not do any favours for yourself as the main downside to it is that you are not guaranteed any hours - and any work for that matter. :no:
    Therefore my advice is to either look for something else, stick at your current job until you find something better or go with zero (and dead end) hours contract.

May I ask how long you have been at your current job?
    I agree

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.