Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I think I might have anxiety/social anxiety watch

First of all, please don't reply if you're only going to rant about self-diagnosing. I've heard it all before and (even though I believe self-diagnosing doesn't have to be a bad thing) I've been trying so hard not to do it to myself, but I seriously don't feel like I can keep this in any longer.

Basically, I think I might have either anxiety or social anxiety. I've been reading up on the disorders for well over a year now, and I've realised that me having SA/anxiety would explain a LOT of things. E.g...

• I've had multiple panic attacks in the past (including one very recent one over something that I now realise is pathetic to get worked up over).
    • I haven't been able to do a presentation in about 4 years because I always end up panicking, crying and/or making myself ill from the worrying (and as expected, this has had huge impacts on some of my grades at school, which has only worsened my anxiety).
    • I experience overwhelming feelings of anxiety when doing the most trivial things i.e. doing something in PE with people watching me or even just walking to the front of the classroom to hand my work in. The "walking in front of the class" anxiety has gradually worsened to the point that I will literally sit and fidget after I finish my classwork and wait until every single student has left the room before getting up and giving the teacher my work, at which point I'll usually still panic and feel on the verge of tears.
    • The thought of telling my parents that I think I may have SA/anxiety makes me feel physically sick – see the problem here? I feel like I'm trapped in a cycle. I want to ask for help, but the thought of asking for help makes me panic even more.
    • I rarely raise my hand or ask my teachers for help, even when I'm seriously struggling. I can't talk in front of the class and, as a result, I keep finding myself falling behind on classwork that I don't know how to complete.
    • This is perhaps more of an OCD kind of thing to do (I haven't really looked into this much) but I have this weird thing where if I don't line the little grooves on the sides of my pen up with the little clip on the lid, something bad will happen and I'll feel overwhelmingly uncomfortable until I fix it. I act the same sort of way with some other things, such as always having to take the same amount of "chews" when eating on each side of my mouth and having to have a gap of exactly 5cm between the door and the frame when I go to sleep.

Sorry this thread is probably a total mess and sorry if my grammar/spelling is appalling. I just jotted all of this down quickly and posted without re-reading. It just feels good to finally put everything down into words. There's probably other stuff I could list, but I fear this post is already far too long already...

TL;DR – I think I have either anxiety or social anxiety but I'm too afraid/anxious to tell someone. I'm mostly just posting here to finally let it out to someone, even anonymously. I don't expect anyone here to be able to help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    First of all, please don't reply if you're only going to rant about self-diagnosing. I've heard it all before and (even though I believe self-diagnosing doesn't have to be a bad thing) I've been trying so hard not to do it to myself, but I seriously don't feel like I can keep this in any longer.

Basically, I think I might have either anxiety or social anxiety. I've been reading up on the disorders for well over a year now, and I've realised that me having SA/anxiety would explain a LOT of things. E.g...

• I've had multiple panic attacks in the past (including one very recent one over something that I now realise is pathetic to get worked up over).
    • I haven't been able to do a presentation in about 4 years because I always end up panicking, crying and/or making myself ill from the worrying (and as expected, this has had huge impacts on some of my grades at school, which has only worsened my anxiety).
    • I experience overwhelming feelings of anxiety when doing the most trivial things i.e. doing something in PE with people watching me or even just walking to the front of the classroom to hand my work in. The "walking in front of the class" anxiety has gradually worsened to the point that I will literally sit and fidget after I finish my classwork and wait until every single student has left the room before getting up and giving the teacher my work, at which point I'll usually still panic and feel on the verge of tears.
    • The thought of telling my parents that I think I may have SA/anxiety makes me feel physically sick – see the problem here? I feel like I'm trapped in a cycle. I want to ask for help, but the thought of asking for help makes me panic even more.
    • I rarely raise my hand or ask my teachers for help, even when I'm seriously struggling. I can't talk in front of the class and, as a result, I keep finding myself falling behind on classwork that I don't know how to complete.
    • This is perhaps more of an OCD kind of thing to do (I haven't really looked into this much) but I have this weird thing where if I don't line the little grooves on the sides of my pen up with the little clip on the lid, something bad will happen and I'll feel overwhelmingly uncomfortable until I fix it. I act the same sort of way with some other things, such as always having to take the same amount of "chews" when eating on each side of my mouth and having to have a gap of exactly 5cm between the door and the frame when I go to sleep.

Sorry this thread is probably a total mess and sorry if my grammar/spelling is appalling. I just jotted all of this down quickly and posted without re-reading. It just feels good to finally put everything down into words. There's probably other stuff I could list, but I fear this post is already far too long already...

TL;DR – I think I have either anxiety or social anxiety but I'm too afraid/anxious to tell someone. I'm mostly just posting here to finally let it out to someone, even anonymously. I don't expect anyone here to be able to help.
    As someone who has anxiety, I understand what you’re going through and it does sound like you probably have some form of anxiety. My best advice is to go to your GP. I know that’s scary and very hard but you can get help to overcome anxiety! Just a few months ago I couldn’t sleep and I constantly felt like I was going to throw up my anxiety got so bad, but a few months into seeing a psychologist and I’m getting so much better!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 16, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.